Patient Comments: Bee and Wasp Sting - Describe Your Experience

Question:Please describe your experience with Bee and Wasp Sting.

Comment from: Grandmom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I had a wasp sting. It was a hot, red, enlarged lump. It itched, and I had throbbing pain that continued into the next day.

Comment from: so47, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 02

I have been a hobby beekeeper for over a year. Stung multiple time, no problems. Kind of like fire ants, w/out the welts. (itch and burn for a few days) one day, pulling frames(honey), got bit twice. Knew I was in trouble right away. It felt like cotton was pushing down on all of me. Tried to get to the house but only made it a few yards. Family called 911. I "crashed" on the way to the er. Had to stay the night.

Comment from: George B., 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 11

My wife was stung by a Wasp two days ago. She still has redness on arm stung on and has been very tired and wants to sleep.

Comment from: Muffin, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I got a wasp sting on my finger two weeks ago. Now skin is peeling from that area. No redness or sign of infection.

Comment from: mel x, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

I got stung on Friday out back at work on the back of my leg I got a fright as I've never been stung b4. My workmate cut an onion in half and held a piece on my leg. It worked perfect, but I got stung again yesterday (Monday) this time on the same leg but on the front. I tried the onion, vinegar nothing worked my leg is like a balloon and the pain of it is horrible!!! I headed to the hospital and they gave me Chrlophenamine and Diclofenac. Let's pray that these work after spending 100 euro for them and today.

Comment from: Stacy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I got stung on the top of my middle finger by a wasp yesterday and I immediately put on the baking soda. I put other cream on as well. It is swollen and also now my hand is swollen and it is itching like crazy. I have even taken Benadryl but the swelling and itching is continuing.

Comment from: Stewart, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 24

I was stung twice on the temple and once on the shoulder by a yellow jacket wasp. I had been stung by the same wasp 8 weeks earlier. Initially, I had the usual pain of a wasp sting. After over a minute it got more painful and I became dizzy. I sat down and immediately developed a red rash with intense itching. I became disorientated, and decided to take a cold shower to ease the itch. Now I have a metallic taste in my mouth. I lost consciousness in the shower for a minute. I had to be assisted by my wife to my feet. I attempted to get to the car to get to hospital and recognized that I was having an anaphylaxis, I asked hospital to ready epinephrine. I collapsed again, this time without detectable breathing and pulse. I regained consciousness in the car on the back seat. I made it to hospital where immediate epinephrine was administered. I also developed incontinence, severe abdominal pain, burning feet and vomiting. It took 6 hours to get systolic constantly above 90 mmHg for transport to larger hospital ICU. Uneventful recovery.

Comment from: Julia, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 16

My daughter received two stings from paper wasps as we approached a nest during the day. We were unaware of it being there. One sting was on topside of the wrist and one was on the forehead. There was localized redness and a small puncture mark-ice pack applied and little inflammation. After 15 minutes of observation, no major reaction. If itchiness or inflammation occurs I will give antihistamine.

Comment from: Deck, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 26

Our 13 year old daughter was stung by a yellow jacket 48 hours ago and the sight (thigh) has continued to grow red, hard, increasingly swollen, hot (actually has a temp of 100.2) and is developing hives. She is not developing breathing difficulties.

Comment from: RUNE190, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

One week ago I was stung by some kind of bug on the back of my upper arm. The spot stung where I was bitten. As of yesterday, exactly one week later I have a rash spreading down from around the bite to my elbow. It is a red area slightly raised and extremely itchy. The size of this area is about 8 inches long by 2.5 inches wide.

Bee And Wasp Sting - Treatment Question: How did you treat your bee and/or wasp sting?
Bee and Wasp Sting - Bee or Wasp? Question: What type of bee or wasp stung you? Please share your story.
Bee and Wasp Sting - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with a bee or wasp sting?
Bee and Wasp Sting - Medical Help Question: Did you see a doctor for a bee or wasp sting? Please describe your experience.
Bee and Wasp Sting - Prevention Question: Share tips and suggestions for preventing a bee or wasp sting.
Bee and Wasp Sting - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your bee and wasp sting?