Patient Comments: Bee and Wasp Sting - Describe Your Experience

Question:Please describe your experience with Bee and Wasp Sting.

Comment from: Bill, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I was stung by a wasp 3 days ago on the right side of my face, near my right eye. Within a minute my vision clouded over so I could barely see. I lay down on the couch and my vision returned after a few minutes. I then stood up and my vision blurred again, though not as badly. I lay down again for a while and when I stood up again, my vision was clear. Then other symptoms developed: swollen lips itch all over and, then my right eye closed, swollen for 3 days. We didn't have anything in the house so I only took Reactine the next day. I'm making arrangements now to get an EpiPen. I've been stung before, but never had much of a reaction before.

Comment from: PaulyB, 75 or over Female Published: February 01

I have had a problem with wasp and mosquito stings all my life and as I get older they are getting worse. When travelling I now take an Epipen, antibiotics and numerous creams. I have been to the Hospital to see an expert who said I am not bad enough to go into their treatment program. I don't know how bad you have to be! Once when stung on my finger the skin peeled back for 5 days and I had my arm in a sling and had to visit the doctor twice a day - if this isn't bad!! What is? I do everything that is suggested to avoid wasps but nothing works and I mean nothing I just have to hope that I don't get stung again and this is stressful during the summer months particularly September. I cannot remember the amount of times I have been to the hospital and clinics when abroad and in the UK which is quite miserable when on holiday. If anyone has the answer please let me know. Obviously they just like me.

Comment from: Alex, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I was stung by bees more than one week ago in three places. One even went up my pant leg and stung me on my thigh! Now I have rashes on my neck, inner upper arm, abdomen, and inside the thigh area. It's a very itchy and raised flat rash. I woke up yesterday with a new area of rash. Finally, I went to the urgent care yesterday after five days of treating it myself with Benadryl and over the counter cortisone. I have been on prednisone orally and prescription triamcinolone and atarax. I have no changes so far.

Comment from: Marsbars, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

I have total of 30 wasp stings on my arms, feet, hands, and legs. I am allergic to them and have a horrible rash around all of them. I am the only one that got bit at a party. I do not wear perfume, only deodorant. All bugs attack me. While waiting for a train, the ants bite my feet. Fly's are always attacking me too. I use unscented Lubriderm lotion. I take a shower every day. Bugs just love me. I guess even if it is 100 degrees I will have to wear long sleeves and pants. I don't know what to do.

Comment from: Mom, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 18

My son was bitten by a wasp just under his eye yesterday. We gave him Benadryl and applied ice. In the morning it was swollen shut. We continued with Benadryl and ice during the day and it is about half open but very puffy underneath. He is 14 and has had no allergic symptoms nor is the eye draining. It is slightly red around the eye, but I think that may be from the ice. He did complain that the gland behind his ear on that side of his face felt swollen tonight.

Comment from: trishc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

While looking for a lost kitten, I reached into a hedge, and a wasp stung me on the base of an index finger. The burning and itching started immediately. I washed the area and packed some baking soda on it. (I heard it helps draw out the venom.) The next morning, I couldn't close my fist. I went to the medical clinic and was told to come back if it got any worse. Of course, it did the next day. I returned and they started me on a methylprednisolone regiment. After less than 12 hours, the swelling and itching stopped. I am currently on the third day of the six-day regiment.

Comment from: Jshurtz01, 45-54 (Patient) Published: October 18

I just came inside and felt something on my neck and reached back. A yellow jacket stung me. I put baking soda on it and it did not seem to draw anything out. My pinky (where I was stung) is swollen. I have taken 2 Benadryl tablets and put Benadryl cream on the area.

Comment from: mrgoodwrench, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 13

I just got stung by a yellow jacket and have broke out in rashes all over my body and itch severely. I've been stung many times but have never experienced this.

Comment from: Kelsiiirae, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I was stung by a red wasp the other day and its turning purple around the sting.

Bee And Wasp Sting - Treatment Question: How did you treat your bee and/or wasp sting?
Bee and Wasp Sting - Bee or Wasp? Question: What type of bee or wasp stung you? Please share your story.
Bee and Wasp Sting - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with a bee or wasp sting?
Bee and Wasp Sting - Medical Help Question: Did you see a doctor for a bee or wasp sting? Please describe your experience.
Bee and Wasp Sting - Prevention Question: Share tips and suggestions for preventing a bee or wasp sting.
Bee and Wasp Sting - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your bee and wasp sting?