Patient Comments: Bee And Wasp Sting - Treatment

Question:How did you treat your bee and/or wasp sting?

Comment from: BeeWise, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

Bees stung over me 20 times when I walked near or on their nest. It was so sudden, and I never saw the bees until I kept feeling stings and realized what was happening. Fortunately, I was close to home and ran into the shower, which got them off me. There were over 10 bees in the shower and a few flying around. The pain was intense and I was dripping wet and not ready to go to urgent care. The pharmacist advised Benadryl tablets and a cortisone cream. I saw the doctor the following day when each site swelled up and burned like fire. He prescribed prednisone and an EpiPen for any future attacks, which may result in a more severe reaction. Today the swelling and itching have lessened, and the pain is gone. It's a good idea to have a plan in case of a bee attack!

Comment from: 25-34 Female Published: August 31

I was stung yesterday by a wasp. I was fully unaware that is was under my arm, until it stung me and flew away. Because I went 3 hours w/o treating it, it swell up around the sting area, but where the sting entered was the only red part. My husband applied Benadryl Gel to the area. That helped ease the pain a bit. Then I took Tylenol. That helped a lot. Now today when I woke up, the area increased in size, now it is about the size of a 50 cent piece and a dime added to it, and it itches. Applying more Benadryl should help, since that's what I read. This is my 8th sting. Six were multiple and the 7th was single. (no reaction to the first 7. Just some pain and redness, but it was gone within 2 hours).

Comment from: Crystal Paulse, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I was bitten by a wasp yesterday. I was removing laundry from the clothes line and as I touched one item I saw the wasp and then felt a sharp pain in my hand. I could see the sting mark--just a hole on my hand and nothing inside it. I put Dettol and Allergex cream on the sting, and then took two Allergex tablets. Afterward, I had a terrible headache. I took a pain killer and this morning the area is very red and itchy. I might consider going to the doctor if it persists.

Comment from: nancy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I was stung in my ear yesterday. Half my face swelled up, my eye closed, my mouth was crooked, my nose swelled and a rash started at my throat and continued to move down my chest. I was forced to go to the ER where they said I was having an allergic reaction. I had to get a shot and some medicine. I also got a prescription to keep on me in case I ever get bitten again. Unfortunately, with insurance, it is $250.00. I work but have four daughters so I can't afford $250. The 1st time I got bit this summer, no reaction. The 2nd time, my leg swelled up twice the normal size. This is my 3rd bite.

Comment from: dollydialup, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I think I got stung by a great black wasp about four days ago on the back of my knee. Didn't feel it at the time but have developed a huge purple-red area with a black round center and a whitish center in the middle of that. Can feel a huge hard area under it. I started putting tea tree oil on it yesterday and taking Benadryl and aspirin. It actually started to bleed a little, the black area is getting bigger. My toes and half of my foot tingle sometimes. No red streaks but the blackness worries me a little.

Comment from: Con, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

Whenever I get stung by a bee or wasp, I run for the WD40. Spray that on and the pain is relieved immediately. Scrape out the stinger with a credit card. Also, putting a penny on it gets some relief.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 06

I was bitten 3 weeks ago by a wasp whilst gardening. I was bitten twice and 3 days later in bed I had excruciating pain in my knee which was where the stings were. I thought it was rheumatoid arthritis because the pain in my joint was so bad. I took 3 nurofen and it settled. I still have the red areas around the bite sites and it is still very itchy. Obviously I'm suffering from serum sickness. Because I was bitten more than once I am going to be very careful in the future when outdoors.

Comment from: 50sfreak, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I was stung in the back by a yellow jacket about 2.5 hours ago. My husband applied a drawing salve to the area which decreased the swelling but hasn't done anything to the shooting pain in my back or the headache. Took benadryl about 30 mins ago.

Bee and Wasp Sting - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Bee and Wasp Sting.
Bee and Wasp Sting - Bee or Wasp? Question: What type of bee or wasp stung you? Please share your story.
Bee and Wasp Sting - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with a bee or wasp sting?
Bee and Wasp Sting - Medical Help Question: Did you see a doctor for a bee or wasp sting? Please describe your experience.
Bee and Wasp Sting - Prevention Question: Share tips and suggestions for preventing a bee or wasp sting.
Bee and Wasp Sting - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your bee and wasp sting?