Patient Comments: Bed Bugs - Treatments

Were you able to effectively treat and rid your home of bed bugs?

Comment from: Paul G, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

We found an all-natural product called Bugright and it killed every crawling insect we had. It is a powder and it works. It was great to know it is safe around children and pets.

Comment from: Repoman, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

Bed bug issue in my townhome is a challenge, I bombed, sprayed, Orkined, steamed and sprayed again. You have to be persistent and keep killing the little monster. I replaced mattresses and will not have delivered new ones until after the retreat by the Orkin Man. I may rip up the carpet if this does not work. I am not paying 3K to heat treat, I would rather buy new flooring.

Comment from: foodcooppres, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

We got rid of the rest of the bedbugs in our bedroom in a strange way. We tore out the infested carpet and put in vinyl, but got the wrong adhesive for the vinyl, something meant for countertops. It had a terrible chemical smell, and all the rest of the bugs in the baseboards etc. were killed in hours. The clothing, I washed or put through the clothes dryer, and stored papers went in the freezer for a week.

Published: August 16

About 1 year ago, I noticed something crawling in our bed, I instantly googled bed bugs and realized that's what we had. We were sleeping on a bed given to us by my brother-in-law...and we had a major infestation in our room, but no where else. We burned the mattress, box spring and frame, and bought on-line chemicals to treat our room. Bought a new bed set, and they came back in our SON's room! TERMINIX came 10 days ago and "treated" for bed begs (they only found 1 live adult and some eggs) and today, a live one in our bed. I am SO MAD!!!

Comment from: Jill, Published: August 31

I just received a low hemoglobin count of 7.6 at a health fair screening. I shared that with my doctor who called me in immediately for a full blown blood evaluation. He thought that count was a mistake since every other test came back perfectly normal. They asked me all sorts of questions but they said I look fine. He thought this was an error in the blood test result at the health fair.

Comment from: gotalump, 45-54 Male Published: June 30

A few days ago I noticed a lump below my sternum and above my belly button, and the lump only appears when I am going from a lying position to getting up. As my muscles tense, the lump appears. When I saw the lump, I wondered to myself what was growing inside me. Than I did some research online (the worst thing to do) and saw it can possibly be an epigastric hernia, which I'm hoping that is all it is.

Comment from: slhall61, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

We are still in the process of ridding our home of bed bugs. I have a steamer on the way.

Comment from: Bevinaz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I started getting bites on me 2 days after we returned home from the Grand Canyon. I am covered in bedbug bites. I am still exterminating and bombing my home. I have been chewed up by this filthy bugs. But my boyfriend has only been bitten once and he sleeps right next to me! Does anyone know why they bite some people and then some people they don't!

Comment from: Belstraga, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

Six months after moving into a new apartment, we found we were infested. They were in the walls and in every apartment in our building despite monthly pest control. After research and armed with a hand held steam cleaner we cut the invasion down drastically. The steam cleaner could not reach everywhere but the heat did even kill the unhatched bugs in their nest. Our next step was to buy 5 lbs of Diatomaceous Earth (often referred to as "DE") is an off white talc-like powder that is the fossilized remains of marine phytoplankton. When sprinkled on a bug that has an exoskeleton (such as bed bugs, roaches, ants or fleas) it gets caught between their exoskeleton joints. As they move, the diatomaceous earth acts like razor blades and cuts them up. They dehydrate and die. DE is totally nontoxic. There is no buildup of tolerance like there is to poisons because the method of killing is PHYSICAL, not chemical. But it doesn't hurt mammals. We can eat it. Make sure that you ONLY get FOOD GRADE diatomaceous earth. Other forms have additives that are harmful to all mammals. It won't hurt pets. Internally it will kill parasites; rubbed on fur it will kill other parasites like fleas. It is cheap and a little goes a very long way. One strange thing about diatomaceous earth is that for it to work on killing bugs, you have to keep it dry. Even morning dew can make diatomaceous earth ineffective, so you might have to reapply in areas that might get damp. I suggest using light applications as it spreads as you walk thru it and such. One month and we never saw neither another, nor any other bugs. What's bad is I have been asked by pest control not to tell anyone about this as it would hurt their business. Actually, the gov should be letting people know; I can't help but wonder who is getting their pockets lined in green!

Bed Bugs - Initial Symptoms Question: What were your initial symptoms for bed bugs?
Bed Bugs - In Hotels Question: Please describe your experience with bed bugs.
Bed Bugs - Prevention Question: How have you prevented bed bugs from recurring in your home?
Bed Bugs - Identification Question: Have you seen actual bed bugs? If so, please describe them, along with your experience at home or at a hotel.