Patient Comments: Bed Bugs - Treatments

Were you able to effectively treat and rid your home of bed bugs?

Comment from: coco, Female Published: December 12

I got rid of my bed bugs by going to a feed store (animal) and bought Diatomaceous Earth. Sprinkled it all over and took a squeeze pointed bottle and put it all around the baseboards in my 3000 square ft home, even sprinkled it on the furniture. Will not harm you, kids or pets. Trust me it works just as long as you don't get it wet. Also, before you vacuum put some DE in it. I've had no problems and haven't seen any bugs. It is not expensive to buy.

Comment from: cesaathoff, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I brought home bed bugs from a hotel in either New York or Las Vegas. After I saw one in my bed I jumped online to find a non-poisonous remedy. I have pets. After much research I ordered Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth. It came next day shipping. (well worth the money). I put it between the mattresses, under the sheets. Also, around the bed. Results are instant. I vacuumed it up a week later. bugs are gone. A little goes a long way. I bought 5lbs. I still have well over 3lbs left.

Comment from: southern mama, Published: September 13

I had 14 bites in my bed but had read of a lady who used lavender essential oil to rid her family room of bed bugs. I got some, put some in small bowls under my bed, then dabbed it on the mattress, the bed rails, and my body near the bites for several days. I have never had another bite since.

Comment from: joanirvine, 55-64 Female Published: August 02

I have contacted bed bugs from a motel in Belleville Ontario. I have gotten treatment from family Dr and bed and house pray from drug store was treated for a few weeks as poison ivy that just kept getting worse with a very itchy red rash and many bites all over my body. Just bought a new box spring and mattress two months before all of this. I got a few bites while at this motel and thought it was mosquito bites as we were out that night. Now we think it is all under control after treating and spaying and bleach the floors a lot of work to get under control.

Comment from: Yilkes2010, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 18

Bed Bugs hate heat. We used a hair blow dryer to get rid of the bugs. We blew beds, mattress, and outlet with the heat from the dryer and it was like spraying Raid on roaches. Very affective, but very time consuming. It took about 6 months to rid our 3 bedroom home of the bed bugs. Good luck!

Comment from: just askin, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 15

I would like to know what is the best insecticide that you can buy to get rid of bed bugs I bought the mattress cover, but I want to make sure that I'm rid of them. Any help is highly appreciated.

Comment from: Once bitten ABP, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 07

To get rid of bedbugs, I used an insecticide to spray around the edges of my mattress and box. After it dried, I used my iron to steam away any remaining bugs on the mattress. It was my own personal idea, and it worked. No more bedbugs after that.

Bed Bugs - Initial Symptoms Question: What were your initial symptoms for bed bugs?
Bed Bugs - In Hotels Question: Please describe your experience with bed bugs.
Bed Bugs - Prevention Question: How have you prevented bed bugs from recurring in your home?
Bed Bugs - Identification Question: Have you seen actual bed bugs? If so, please describe them, along with your experience at home or at a hotel.