Patient Comments: Bed Bugs - Treatments

Were you able to effectively treat and rid your home of bed bugs?

Comment from: Dutches, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

My symptoms started out as red swollen bumps, very itchy, and when scratched, would sting and burn until I couldn't take it anymore. Later in the day after more scratching, burning, and irritability, I would get headaches with nauseous feelings and areas of my body would tingle, twitch, and go numb. I never had this feeling before the bites started. I reported this to my apartment and they pretended to have no knowledge of the fact. They Lied! Be careful and always ask about the apartment or room before taking possession. I went to the Hospital for these bites because I had several on the posterior side of my body, arm, legs, ankles, and side. It leaves mental, physical, and emotional scars. I can't sleep at night because I constantly get up checking to see if I'm being bit.

Comment from: desperate, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I have been trying to get rid of bedbugs for two years now. I have been through two exterminator's including Orkin, which cost me over $1400, Not to mention threw away bed sets, couches, bought numerous mattress covers, and vacuumed and washed everything so many times. The problem got a little better with orkin, but now I have seen three and I have a horrible rash due to allergic reaction to the bites. I own this house and can't afford to move. I am considering the heat treatment but I can't afford the expensive cost, especially if I am going to waste my money again.

Comment from: kitty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

Why isn't there being something done to put an end to this nationwide epidemic of bedbugs? Diseases such as HIV, HEPATITIS A, B, & C or others usually are killed once exposed to air within seconds from studies I've read. The question though is, if the blood from the person that is bitten is stored and protected by air in the bedbug until it bites again or is killed by hand (which squirts out a large amount of stored blood) that blood would be carrying infected blood and then transferred to the next person bitten. A bug that bites me could have bitten 2,5,10 people before me and the blood would not yet be airborn so, it could still be carrying any disease that the previous people may have had. The blood doesn't get exposed to air until the bug is finally killed. Any information on how to rid myself and family of this problem of bedbugs and the strongest spray available for consumers to buy would be deeply appreciated. Bedbugs can definitely have blood to blood contact.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 22

I had no problem with any kind of bugs until my oldest son moved in with his dad and then moved back in with me a couple of months later. The bed bugs came with him in his clothes, and now they are downstairs. Until I can afford the right kind of help, I vacuum beds and furniture every day, and it does seem to be less every time. I still will call and get it taken care of when I have the money. They don't bite me, but they do my kids.

Comment from: oldremedies, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

The bedbugs were biting my legs from the knee down. Before going to bed I covered my legs from the knee down with a generous coating of baby oil. (Don't rub the baby oil in. Just let it set on top of your skin). During the night the bed bugs got stuck in the oil and took in the oil instead of my blood and they died. The next morning there were many bed bugs dead on my skin and in the bed. I brushed them off. It took 3 nights of coating my legs to get them all.

Comment from: Bugged!, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 29

We went to a water park hotel Easter weekend of 2011 and didn't realize we brought home bedbugs with us until July. My poor little toddler was getting eaten alive. We burned the mattress and box spring and made sure all of our beds had bed bug rated encasements. We bug bombed our house on a regular basis and used several different sprays specified for bedbugs, and heated the rooms up to over 100 degrees for most of a day. We used lavender soap to help repel. Well it is now February, 2012, and we still have the little pests.

Comment from: coco, Female Published: December 12

I got rid of my bed bugs by going to a feed store (animal) and bought Diatomaceous Earth. Sprinkled it all over and took a squeeze pointed bottle and put it all around the baseboards in my 3000 square ft home, even sprinkled it on the furniture. Will not harm you, kids or pets. Trust me it works just as long as you don't get it wet. Also, before you vacuum put some DE in it. I've had no problems and haven't seen any bugs. It is not expensive to buy.

Bed Bugs - Initial Symptoms Question: What were your initial symptoms for bed bugs?
Bed Bugs - In Hotels Question: Please describe your experience with bed bugs.
Bed Bugs - Prevention Question: How have you prevented bed bugs from recurring in your home?
Bed Bugs - Identification Question: Have you seen actual bed bugs? If so, please describe them, along with your experience at home or at a hotel.