Patient Comments: Bed Bugs - Treatments

Were you able to effectively treat and rid your home of bed bugs?

Comment from: Bevinaz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I started getting bites on me 2 days after we returned home from the Grand Canyon. I am covered in bedbug bites. I am still exterminating and bombing my home. I have been chewed up by this filthy bugs. But my boyfriend has only been bitten once and he sleeps right next to me! Does anyone know why they bite some people and then some people they don't!

Comment from: Belstraga, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

Six months after moving into a new apartment, we found we were infested. They were in the walls and in every apartment in our building despite monthly pest control. After research and armed with a hand held steam cleaner we cut the invasion down drastically. The steam cleaner could not reach everywhere but the heat did even kill the unhatched bugs in their nest. Our next step was to buy 5 lbs of Diatomaceous Earth (often referred to as "DE") is an off white talc-like powder that is the fossilized remains of marine phytoplankton. When sprinkled on a bug that has an exoskeleton (such as bed bugs, roaches, ants or fleas) it gets caught between their exoskeleton joints. As they move, the diatomaceous earth acts like razor blades and cuts them up. They dehydrate and die. DE is totally nontoxic. There is no buildup of tolerance like there is to poisons because the method of killing is PHYSICAL, not chemical. But it doesn't hurt mammals. We can eat it. Make sure that you ONLY get FOOD GRADE diatomaceous earth. Other forms have additives that are harmful to all mammals. It won't hurt pets. Internally it will kill parasites; rubbed on fur it will kill other parasites like fleas. It is cheap and a little goes a very long way. One strange thing about diatomaceous earth is that for it to work on killing bugs, you have to keep it dry. Even morning dew can make diatomaceous earth ineffective, so you might have to reapply in areas that might get damp. I suggest using light applications as it spreads as you walk thru it and such. One month and we never saw neither another, nor any other bugs. What's bad is I have been asked by pest control not to tell anyone about this as it would hurt their business. Actually, the gov should be letting people know; I can't help but wonder who is getting their pockets lined in green!

Comment from: Dutches, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

My symptoms started out as red swollen bumps, very itchy, and when scratched, would sting and burn until I couldn't take it anymore. Later in the day after more scratching, burning, and irritability, I would get headaches with nauseous feelings and areas of my body would tingle, twitch, and go numb. I never had this feeling before the bites started. I reported this to my apartment and they pretended to have no knowledge of the fact. They Lied! Be careful and always ask about the apartment or room before taking possession. I went to the Hospital for these bites because I had several on the posterior side of my body, arm, legs, ankles, and side. It leaves mental, physical, and emotional scars. I can't sleep at night because I constantly get up checking to see if I'm being bit.

Comment from: desperate, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I have been trying to get rid of bedbugs for two years now. I have been through two exterminator's including Orkin, which cost me over $1400, Not to mention threw away bed sets, couches, bought numerous mattress covers, and vacuumed and washed everything so many times. The problem got a little better with orkin, but now I have seen three and I have a horrible rash due to allergic reaction to the bites. I own this house and can't afford to move. I am considering the heat treatment but I can't afford the expensive cost, especially if I am going to waste my money again.

Comment from: kitty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

Why isn't there being something done to put an end to this nationwide epidemic of bedbugs? Diseases such as HIV, HEPATITIS A, B, & C or others usually are killed once exposed to air within seconds from studies I've read. The question though is, if the blood from the person that is bitten is stored and protected by air in the bedbug until it bites again or is killed by hand (which squirts out a large amount of stored blood) that blood would be carrying infected blood and then transferred to the next person bitten. A bug that bites me could have bitten 2,5,10 people before me and the blood would not yet be airborn so, it could still be carrying any disease that the previous people may have had. The blood doesn't get exposed to air until the bug is finally killed. Any information on how to rid myself and family of this problem of bedbugs and the strongest spray available for consumers to buy would be deeply appreciated. Bedbugs can definitely have blood to blood contact.

Comment from: qt4u2c, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I got rid of bed bugs with a food grade product called Diatomaceous Earth DE. It is safe , non toxic , and very very cheap. You can buy it at feed and grain stores. Google it and read about it and learn all the benefits of it. It was the only thing that got rid of the bed bugs , fleas and ticks as well.

Bed Bugs - Initial Symptoms Question: What were your initial symptoms for bed bugs?
Bed Bugs - In Hotels Question: Please describe your experience with bed bugs.
Bed Bugs - Prevention Question: How have you prevented bed bugs from recurring in your home?
Bed Bugs - Identification Question: Have you seen actual bed bugs? If so, please describe them, along with your experience at home or at a hotel.