Patient Comments: Bedbugs - Treatments

Were you able to effectively treat and rid your home of bedbugs?

Comment from: foodcooppres, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

We got rid of the rest of the bedbugs in our bedroom in a strange way. We tore out the infested carpet and put in vinyl, but got the wrong adhesive for the vinyl, something meant for countertops. It had a terrible chemical smell, and all the rest of the bugs in the baseboards etc. were killed in hours. The clothing, I washed or put through the clothes dryer, and stored papers went in the freezer for a week.

Published: August 16

About 1 year ago, I noticed something crawling in our bed, I instantly googled bed bugs and realized that's what we had. We were sleeping on a bed given to us by my brother-in-law...and we had a major infestation in our room, but no where else. We burned the mattress, box spring and frame, and bought on-line chemicals to treat our room. Bought a new bed set, and they came back in our SON's room! TERMINIX came 10 days ago and "treated" for bed begs (they only found 1 live adult and some eggs) and today, a live one in our bed. I am SO MAD!!!

Comment from: slhall61, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

We are still in the process of ridding our home of bed bugs. I have a steamer on the way.

Comment from: Bevinaz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I started getting bites on me 2 days after we returned home from the Grand Canyon. I am covered in bedbug bites. I am still exterminating and bombing my home. I have been chewed up by this filthy bugs. But my boyfriend has only been bitten once´┐Ż and he sleeps right next to me! Does anyone know why they bite some people and then some people they don't!

Comment from: Belstraga, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

Six months after moving into a new apartment, we found we were infested. They were in the walls and in every apartment in our building despite monthly pest control. After research and armed with a hand held steam cleaner we cut the invasion down drastically. The steam cleaner could not reach everywhere but the heat did even kill the unhatched bugs in their nest. Our next step was to buy 5 lbs of Diatomaceous Earth (often referred to as "DE") is an off white talc-like powder that is the fossilized remains of marine phytoplankton. When sprinkled on a bug that has an exoskeleton (such as bed bugs, roaches, ants or fleas) it gets caught between their exoskeleton joints. As they move, the diatomaceous earth acts like razor blades and cuts them up. They dehydrate and die. DE is totally nontoxic. There is no buildup of tolerance like there is to poisons because the method of killing is PHYSICAL, not chemical. But it doesn't hurt mammals. We can eat it. Make sure that you ONLY get FOOD GRADE diatomaceous earth. Other forms have additives that are harmful to all mammals. It won't hurt pets. Internally it will kill parasites; rubbed on fur it will kill other parasites like fleas. It is cheap and a little goes a very long way. One strange thing about diatomaceous earth is that for it to work on killing bugs, you have to keep it dry. Even morning dew can make diatomaceous earth ineffective, so you might have to reapply in areas that might get damp. I suggest using light applications as it spreads as you walk thru it and such. One month and we never saw neither another, nor any other bugs. What's bad is I have been asked by pest control not to tell anyone about this as it would hurt their business. Actually, the gov should be letting people know; I can't help but wonder who is getting their pockets lined in green!

Comment from: Dutches, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

My symptoms started out as red swollen bumps, very itchy, and when scratched, would sting and burn until I couldn't take it anymore. Later in the day after more scratching, burning, and irritability, I would get headaches with nauseous feelings and areas of my body would tingle, twitch, and go numb. I never had this feeling before the bites started. I reported this to my apartment and they pretended to have no knowledge of the fact. They Lied! Be careful and always ask about the apartment or room before taking possession. I went to the Hospital for these bites because I had several on the posterior side of my body, arm, legs, ankles, and side. It leaves mental, physical, and emotional scars. I can't sleep at night because I constantly get up checking to see if I'm being bit.

Bedbugs - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with bedbug bites?
Bedbugs - In Hotels Question: Please describe your experience with bedbugs in hotels.
Bedbugs - Prevention Question: How have you prevented bedbug infestations from recurring in your home?
Bedbugs - Identification Question: Have you seen actual bedbugs? If so, please describe them, along with your experience at home or at a hotel.