Patient Comments: Bed Bugs - Identification

Have you seen actual bed bugs? If so, please describe them, along with your experience at home or at a hotel.

Comment from: bedbugvictim, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

Bed bugs are in homeless shelters in Grand Concourse. The staff bombed my room after I told them, with my clothes not being wrapped up. I'm about to move and now have to worry about carrying the bed bugs to my new place.

Comment from: tj, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

We allowed someone to move in with us over a year ago and his mattress box springs was infested! Now I can't get rid of them

Comment from: Pasty214, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I have been severely bitten by bedbugs. My husband and I stayed in a "quaint" old hotel in Maryland. After one night, I awoke to "mosquito like" bites near my wrists. Didn't think too much of it, but as days went on I kept finding more bites, fearing "hives" researched and decided it was definitely bedbugs. Puzzling that my husband did not get any bites! Now I have swollen bites, itching and some deep pain. Treating with Benadryl, hydrocortisone and rubbing alcohol. Alarmed to read that bites will develop for as long as a week from original episode. I have called the hotel, but they assured me they had vacuumed the room!

Comment from: julie, 35-44 Female Published: August 12

i was in a house that was infested and i think they traveled home with me. I was sitting in my bed and noticed something crawl on my bedspread and sure enough IT WAS ONE. I freaked out and stripped my bed and then began to look on mattress and FOUND ANOTHER ONE. Both were small for the most part. I'm concerned if there are more? If i found only two, does that mean there is more?

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 05

I bought a new box spring and mattress earlier this year. Both my husband and I have noticed tinges of blood on the linen and also small bites on my ankles. While changing the sheets today and accidentally pulling the mattress off of the box spring we discovered the box spring is infested with bed bugs!

Comment from: Korin2869, 35-44 Female Published: July 26

We are staying at a hotel in Worcester, MA and we are pretty sure we found a bed bug!!!

Comment from: ayt51, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I've seen bed bugs. To me, they looked like little walking apple seeds!

Bed Bugs - Initial Symptoms Question: What were your initial symptoms for bed bugs?
Bed Bugs - Treatments Question: Were you able to effectively treat and rid your home of bed bugs?
Bed Bugs - In Hotels Question: Please describe your experience with bed bugs.
Bed Bugs - Prevention Question: How have you prevented bed bugs from recurring in your home?