Patient Comments: Bed Bugs - Identification

Have you seen actual bed bugs? If so, please describe them, along with your experience at home or at a hotel.

Comment from: samuel, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 08

My dad recently brought 2 chairs home that infested our home with bed bugs. The crevices of the bed were covered with little black spots, the bed was also covered. The bugs were visible so I checked my children's rooms. At first I didn't notice or see them on the beds, but after I checked several times I found their beds were badly infected. They were visible and new ones were hatching so I got rid of all beds, all but our clothing. I couldn't throw my kids' clothes away so I washed and dried them lots of times. Our skin still itches a little bit but I'm trying to decide if I need to throw our clothes away. We have put down poison and cleaned but still we itch.

Comment from: Dilu, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 26

Just to let you guys know I have seen and killed a bed bug just now. I realized when I saw four spots behind my back, it was very big, not like mosquito bite. It became very big after scratching so I thought of searching on google what actually are bed bugs, and the symptoms of its bite. Then I realized that it was bed bugs which bit me and not mosquitos, so I actually saw an image and where to find it. What I did was, I got up put the mattress upside down, took my magnifying glass and started looking for any kind of insects in my bed and then I saw an insect red in color with some different colors, small in size. So I just took it down and tried killing with a pen, it was so hard couldn't believe. I tried once again and killed the bug but you know, the moment I crushed the bug it was too smelly. So now I started searching for other bugs but couldn't get any.

Comment from: jenna, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 11

My former employer had bed bugs from time to time and, yes, I've seen them. If not for their amber color, they look very much like dog ticks. Fortunately, with frequent treatments, bed bugs were eradicated from the workplace.

Comment from: kathy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I have bites all over the arms, I've been to the doctor and was treated; he said I was allergic to something. Now I have found bugs in my bed, I need to know how to get rid of them inexpensively. I live in apartments.

Comment from: Wyalesbar, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

I have been tormented at night with what seems like my skin crawling and itching. I have also thought that bed bugs could not be seen. Not according to what I have read at this site. I don't know what my problem could be.

Comment from: Mitch, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have been finding 2-4 adult bedbugs in sheets last 3-4 mornings. I squeezed them and left lots a blood. I don"t find bites on me but.

Comment from: bedbugvictim, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

Bed bugs are in homeless shelters in Grand Concourse. The staff bombed my room after I told them, with my clothes not being wrapped up. I'm about to move and now have to worry about carrying the bed bugs to my new place.

Comment from: tj, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

We allowed someone to move in with us over a year ago and his mattress box springs was infested! Now I can't get rid of them

Comment from: Pasty214, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I have been severely bitten by bedbugs. My husband and I stayed in a "quaint" old hotel in Maryland. After one night, I awoke to "mosquito like" bites near my wrists. Didn't think too much of it, but as days went on I kept finding more bites, fearing "hives" researched and decided it was definitely bedbugs. Puzzling that my husband did not get any bites! Now I have swollen bites, itching and some deep pain. Treating with Benadryl, hydrocortisone and rubbing alcohol. Alarmed to read that bites will develop for as long as a week from original episode. I have called the hotel, but they assured me they had vacuumed the room!

Bed Bugs - Initial Symptoms Question: What were your initial symptoms for bed bugs?
Bed Bugs - Treatments Question: Were you able to effectively treat and rid your home of bed bugs?
Bed Bugs - In Hotels Question: Please describe your experience with bed bugs.
Bed Bugs - Prevention Question: How have you prevented bed bugs from recurring in your home?