Patient Comments: Bed Bugs - Initial Symptoms

What were your initial symptoms for bed bugs?

Comment from: veryannoyed, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

We just moved into this house a couple of months ago, and my mom wanted to keep this nice looking couch that was in here, and the beds that the last people who lived here left. We have 4 cats and a dog, so when the 'bumps' started appearing, we assumed it was fleas. Well, lo and behold, it is bed bugs.

Comment from: omgbbs, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I just found a bed bug on my sofa. I started getting what I thought were mosquito bites in January. My kids and I were covered in bites. They look and feel just like mosquito bites, so I really didn't even think that it could be bed bugs. I did find a mosquito in my living room last week and I was able to kill it. So I thought all the bites were over. Well, they weren't. I looked up on line info on bed bugs and I checked all my furniture and beds and I didn't see a thing. So I thought maybe it's another mosquito. It wasn't a mosquito. I think I know where they came from too. I have been living here for 5 yrs and never had any problems with bugs. My step son comes over every other weekend and he was complaining of "spider" bites he was getting at home. This was after he got a new bed, which I think his mom got as a hand me down. I bet that is where they came from. I am so freaking upset. They just gross me out.

Comment from: havenoclue1960, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 17

I thought my child was bitten by mosquitoes, as he said they were itchy, after a few weeks and the marks not going away and still more appearing I found out with research that we had bed bugs! I immediately went to the mattress, checked the corners and yes low and behold there they were! I went to my room checked the bed frame and found them having a party with tons of friends on the wood. I freaked out. After buying a few large containers with lids to place my items in, I threw out all my wood items and called the pest control people, I still only sleep on the mattress directly on the floor, but I am SLEEPING! I continued to call the pest control company for three months once a month for treatment weather I needed it or not, I wasn't going to take any chances. I have tried other methods, but nothing really works totally like the professionals.

Comment from: free, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I been living at my apartment for more than 2years now and I never had a problem and I even bought a puppy for my daughter, but a couple months later me and my daughter started getting mosquito like bites and my husband didn't get anything so we assumed it was mosquitos because it was one of them hot days, but every day after that we still kept getting bites all over our body so I started thinking the dog had fleas so I bought him some flea treatments and nothing it was still the same so one night I couldn't stop scratching my leg and I got up and I started searching the bed and for my surprise I found bed bugs I was so shocked and ever since every night is hell. My daughter's skin looks bad because of the bites I'm even embarrass showing my legs and arms because they are all marked, so I'm planning to move and throw all my furniture out.

Comment from: Itching, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 23

My wife and I had no bed bugs for a whole decade, but entered a home in which two wonderful cats lived. They of course were petted and handled. We caught the bed bugs. The family had welts on their legs and body. I found that bed bugs will stay in the sleeves of clothing, sweatpants and coats; wash everything in superhot water.

Comment from: betsylenora, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I first got bed bug bites 5 years ago after visiting my mother. Since then, every year in the summer, I get these bites. They often are in a cluster and they itch like crazy. They last a long time.

Comment from: OKLAHOMA, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

About 6 weeks ago I started noticing this rash from my elbow to my wrist and on one of my legs. They itch and burn which is very noticeable and began to feel restless. I then found them in my couch! I've bought pesticides from a co-op. We spray and spay and I still have trouble sleeping, haven't seen anymore bites but have trouble sleeping under covers.

Bed Bugs - Treatments Question: Were you able to effectively treat and rid your home of bed bugs?
Bed Bugs - In Hotels Question: Please describe your experience with bed bugs.
Bed Bugs - Prevention Question: How have you prevented bed bugs from recurring in your home?
Bed Bugs - Identification Question: Have you seen actual bed bugs? If so, please describe them, along with your experience at home or at a hotel.