Patient Comments: Bed Bugs - Initial Symptoms

What were your initial symptoms for bed bugs?

Comment from: slhall61, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

My first symptoms of bedbugs were rashes that got worse as the day wore on, small and large red raised lumps, (some looked like mosquito bites, some like hives, and some like allergic patches) up to 3x4 inch areas. And the itched like crazy for days! (Up to 10 days each.)

Comment from: bb1985, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 19

My initial sign was odd bites on my neck, then noticed the trail of blood on my tile floor from my bed post to under the baseboard on the wall facing the apartment they originated in. People say they are harmless and just an annoyance, but they are mentally damaging, and scar your body from the bites. I still have scars over a year later from them. And had to be on steroid and anti-itch creams for a good while. I can't travel for fear of being in a hotel room at night, where they are often found the most. It has scarred me in many ways.

Comment from: Puddin, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I had small bites on stomach feet lower leg. Bedbug bites on stomach around the waist and front of stomach and bites on feet and ankles. There was awful itching.

Comment from: veryannoyed, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

We just moved into this house a couple of months ago, and my mom wanted to keep this nice looking couch that was in here, and the beds that the last people who lived here left. We have 4 cats and a dog, so when the 'bumps' started appearing, we assumed it was fleas. Well, lo and behold, it is bed bugs.

Comment from: omgbbs, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I just found a bed bug on my sofa. I started getting what I thought were mosquito bites in January. My kids and I were covered in bites. They look and feel just like mosquito bites, so I really didn't even think that it could be bed bugs. I did find a mosquito in my living room last week and I was able to kill it. So I thought all the bites were over. Well, they weren't. I looked up on line info on bed bugs and I checked all my furniture and beds and I didn't see a thing. So I thought maybe it's another mosquito. It wasn't a mosquito. I think I know where they came from too. I have been living here for 5 yrs and never had any problems with bugs. My step son comes over every other weekend and he was complaining of "spider" bites he was getting at home. This was after he got a new bed, which I think his mom got as a hand me down. I bet that is where they came from. I am so freaking upset. They just gross me out.

Comment from: Noname, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I moved into a group home a couple of months ago. I discovered red welts that itched greatly. I rubbed the spots with alcohol and applied a store version of Tinactin foot cream that also kills ringworms. The itch stopped the same night, and the swells disappeared after the 3rd application.

Comment from: Itching, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 23

My wife and I had no bed bugs for a whole decade, but entered a home in which two wonderful cats lived. They of course were petted and handled. We caught the bed bugs. The family had welts on their legs and body. I found that bed bugs will stay in the sleeves of clothing, sweatpants and coats; wash everything in superhot water.

Comment from: havenoclue1960, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 17

I thought my child was bitten by mosquitoes, as he said they were itchy, after a few weeks and the marks not going away and still more appearing I found out with research that we had bed bugs! I immediately went to the mattress, checked the corners and yes low and behold there they were! I went to my room checked the bed frame and found them having a party with tons of friends on the wood. I freaked out. After buying a few large containers with lids to place my items in, I threw out all my wood items and called the pest control people, I still only sleep on the mattress directly on the floor, but I am SLEEPING! I continued to call the pest control company for three months once a month for treatment weather I needed it or not, I wasn't going to take any chances. I have tried other methods, but nothing really works totally like the professionals.

Bed Bugs - Treatments Question: Were you able to effectively treat and rid your home of bed bugs?
Bed Bugs - In Hotels Question: Please describe your experience with bed bugs.
Bed Bugs - Prevention Question: How have you prevented bed bugs from recurring in your home?
Bed Bugs - Identification Question: Have you seen actual bed bugs? If so, please describe them, along with your experience at home or at a hotel.