Patient Comments: Bed Bugs - Initial Symptoms

What were your initial symptoms for bed bugs?

Comment from: momof4, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 17

I bought some used mattresses from the thrift store and two days later my 3 year old has bumps all over her. The day care starts complaining and I took her to the doctor. The doctor said it wasn't contagious but he didn't know for sure what it was. Then we started seeing little bugs in the bed and on the top corner of our ceilings. I called the health department and explained to them what I saw and they told me it was bed bugs. My landlord sent someone out to take care of it and two weeks later they are still biting the whole family. I have a 1, 3, 4 and 9 year old. I really don't know what to do anymore. I cry because I don't like to see my babies scratching and crying all night. If anyone has more suggestions, please post them.

Comment from: Nisa, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 28

First, the bed bugs were found in my sister's room. I have never believed bugs existed in beds until I saw the bites and the real bugs on her bed. She discarded the whole bed. Now after three months, I begin to itch badly and saw red marks on my hands and legs. I then checked my bed and saw minute little bugs with a red dot, which was my blood. I looked behind the bed and got shocked as they have already infested and made a nest there.

Published: August 21

I thought the bed bugs bites were mosquito bites at first. I was covered in bites, and they were driving me crazy itching. The weird thing was that my boyfriend wasn't really getting bitten. Then we found a bug in the bed one night and figured it out.

Comment from: dbbkeefer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

In the last week I have red bumps on my forehead and nose. They are not really painful, just looks bad.

Bed Bugs - Treatments Question: Were you able to effectively treat and rid your home of bed bugs?
Bed Bugs - In Hotels Question: Please describe your experience with bed bugs.
Bed Bugs - Prevention Question: How have you prevented bed bugs from recurring in your home?
Bed Bugs - Identification Question: Have you seen actual bed bugs? If so, please describe them, along with your experience at home or at a hotel.