Patient Comments: Bed Bugs - Initial Symptoms

What were your initial symptoms for bed bugs?

Comment from: hatedthebites, 35-44 Male Published: March 18

My fiance and I stayed in a weekly stay hotel. The first night was fine, by the second night he woke up jumping out of bed and getting on the verge of being hysterical. He had bites all over his back and arms. I didn't get any bites I was sleeping in long pants and a long sleeve shirt ge had his boxers on. By the third night he was covered in bites. The next day we did find 4 bed bugs and when he killed one of them blood splattered out. We told the manager all they did in the beginning was move us to another room that was after the maintenance man came and found one behind the headboard. We moved and it did subside. What happened in the end is that he complained and we received all of our money back along with the deposit. It was either that or we were going to the Board of Health for our state with the evidence. We had trapped to of them in a cup and the bugs died in the cup that along with his bites was our evidence.

Comment from: homedecsewer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I saw an oval bug a few nights ago crawling on my blanket and was able to kill it. I do know in Cincinnati we have them (bed bugs) bad of course you always think it will happen to someone else and never you. Well I also had noticed some hives on my legs. I thought it was from the antibiotics that I had started taking. Well tonight I found another bug crawling about the computer stand. Now while 2 bugs don't make an infestation I think I should see about what I can do before it becomes one.

Comment from: Dude, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I thought a mosquito had taken me for an all-you-can-eat buffet. I woke up with 4-5 bites, and as the day went on I realized these bites all were surrounded by 2-3 others. In total that meant that I had about 15 bites that were very itchy.

Comment from: doris, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

We moved into a beautiful rental 4 months ago, for the last 2 months, I'm battling bed bugs, I've been exterminated 3 times in 1 month, froze all our clothing, bites on my upper torso, and been to the doctor.

Comment from: SSR, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I have been having red spots appear only on my arms which are really itchy. Turns out its bed bug bites!

Comment from: momof4, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 17

I bought some used mattresses from the thrift store and two days later my 3 year old has bumps all over her. The day care starts complaining and I took her to the doctor. The doctor said it wasn't contagious but he didn't know for sure what it was. Then we started seeing little bugs in the bed and on the top corner of our ceilings. I called the health department and explained to them what I saw and they told me it was bed bugs. My landlord sent someone out to take care of it and two weeks later they are still biting the whole family. I have a 1, 3, 4 and 9 year old. I really don't know what to do anymore. I cry because I don't like to see my babies scratching and crying all night. If anyone has more suggestions, please post them.

Comment from: Nisa, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 28

First, the bed bugs were found in my sister's room. I have never believed bugs existed in beds until I saw the bites and the real bugs on her bed. She discarded the whole bed. Now after three months, I begin to itch badly and saw red marks on my hands and legs. I then checked my bed and saw minute little bugs with a red dot, which was my blood. I looked behind the bed and got shocked as they have already infested and made a nest there.

Published: August 21

I thought the bed bugs bites were mosquito bites at first. I was covered in bites, and they were driving me crazy itching. The weird thing was that my boyfriend wasn't really getting bitten. Then we found a bug in the bed one night and figured it out.

Bed Bugs - Treatments Question: Were you able to effectively treat and rid your home of bed bugs?
Bed Bugs - In Hotels Question: Please describe your experience with bed bugs.
Bed Bugs - Prevention Question: How have you prevented bed bugs from recurring in your home?
Bed Bugs - Identification Question: Have you seen actual bed bugs? If so, please describe them, along with your experience at home or at a hotel.