Patient Comments: Bed Bugs - Initial Symptoms

What were your initial symptoms for bed bugs?

Comment from: PA, Female Published: February 09

I noticed what I thought were hives on my legs and arms. I just did not know what was causing the hives until one evening, I saw a bug crawling on a bag I had on my sofa. It was a bed bug. An exterminator came in and found another live one on the head board on the second floor. I apparently picked it up in the apartment building I work for.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I had a severe allergic reaction to bites from bed bugs. My first symptom was a highly sleepy state, almost like a depression. I was unable to put one foot in front of the other. Then I began to itch and itch, and scratch ... with no relief. Cortisone cream eventually relieved it a bit, but it went on for weeks. I had got them from a hotel, so I didn't worry that I'd brought them home.

Comment from: MELI_18, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

My problems with bed bugs all started a year ago when I had felt very itchy. I also thought that they were mosquito bites but then I knew it wasn't because I hadn't seen any mosquitoes. So I checked my bed and found bed bugs! Tons and Tons! They have been living been with me for a year now just because I didn't take the time to check my bed. I even bought a new mattress but they still came back. I had also found them in my clothes that were in the closet. They bit my fiancé so bad that I had to take him to the hospital. If you have bed bugs please call a professional for your own good.

Comment from: 25-34 Male Published: September 25

My wife and I started to notice mosquito like bumps about four months ago and that they were just that mosquito bites. Then one night we saw a bug in the bed and killed it and did not think anymore about it. Then I noticed this started going on every morning we woke up. Then we noticed that we were killing more and more bugs on a regular basis, so I just looked around the bed because some of the bugs that we killed splattered blood and having a cat I knew ticks don't splatter like that. All around the fold of the mattress there they were bedbugs. I've heard of them but didn't take them seriously until the past four months. I've been spraying raid and everything. I'm constantly checking the mattress every night before going to bed now thinking I'm doing something but I'm really not.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I was in a hotel this past weekend. During the night, I felt something crawling on me, so I swatted it. That happened a few more times, but I didn't think too much about it. The next morning, there were spots of blood all over my side of the bed and my pillow. Then I saw some bugs on the bed. My husband swatted one with a belt and it exploded into a blood spot. Then I noticed a whole bunch of bugs on the ceiling. My symptoms didn't start until the following morning. I noticed raised red bumps all over my left breast, left arm and some on my back, my right arm and my right thigh. They started itching intensely and progressively seem to get worse. I looked up bed bugs, and there's no doubt that's what happened to me. I reported the bugs to the hotel management. They comped our room for the first night, and moved us to another room. My symptoms didn't really start until we had left the hotel. I am writing them a letter.

Comment from: feidg, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 21

I received more than 100 bites and had to be treated with prednisone and antibiotics when my son and I stayed at a hotel in Florida this summer. My vacation was ruined and the hotel stated that they would make it right, but they did not. At first the symptoms were mild, and I did not think seeing the doctor was necessary, but less than 12 hours later, I developed a severe rash and itching. When I called the hotel, they never returned my call, even though they stated they would make it right.

Published: June 09

The first time I saw a bed bug was this past weekend at the American Host Motel at West Falmouth, MA. I rented the motel for 2 days and I end up leaving the next morning because my daughter found these bugs all over her bed. After a few days we all have like mosquito bites all over our bodies, but my daughter and me are having skin reactions as of today. I'm trying to find out if they transmit any disease? I'm planning in visiting my doctor for his opinion.

Bed Bugs - Treatments Question: Were you able to effectively treat and rid your home of bed bugs?
Bed Bugs - In Hotels Question: Please describe your experience with bed bugs.
Bed Bugs - Prevention Question: How have you prevented bed bugs from recurring in your home?
Bed Bugs - Identification Question: Have you seen actual bed bugs? If so, please describe them, along with your experience at home or at a hotel.