Patient Comments: Bed Bugs - Initial Symptoms

What were your initial symptoms for bed bugs?

Comment from: 25-34 Male Published: September 25

My wife and I started to notice mosquito like bumps about four months ago and that they were just that mosquito bites. Then one night we saw a bug in the bed and killed it and did not think anymore about it. Then I noticed this started going on every morning we woke up. Then we noticed that we were killing more and more bugs on a regular basis, so I just looked around the bed because some of the bugs that we killed splattered blood and having a cat I knew ticks don't splatter like that. All around the fold of the mattress there they were bedbugs. I've heard of them but didn't take them seriously until the past four months. I've been spraying raid and everything. I'm constantly checking the mattress every night before going to bed now thinking I'm doing something but I'm really not.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I was in a hotel this past weekend. During the night, I felt something crawling on me, so I swatted it. That happened a few more times, but I didn't think too much about it. The next morning, there were spots of blood all over my side of the bed and my pillow. Then I saw some bugs on the bed. My husband swatted one with a belt and it exploded into a blood spot. Then I noticed a whole bunch of bugs on the ceiling. My symptoms didn't start until the following morning. I noticed raised red bumps all over my left breast, left arm and some on my back, my right arm and my right thigh. They started itching intensely and progressively seem to get worse. I looked up bed bugs, and there's no doubt that's what happened to me. I reported the bugs to the hotel management. They comped our room for the first night, and moved us to another room. My symptoms didn't really start until we had left the hotel. I am writing them a letter.

Comment from: feidg, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 21

I received more than 100 bites and had to be treated with prednisone and antibiotics when my son and I stayed at a hotel in Florida this summer. My vacation was ruined and the hotel stated that they would make it right, but they did not. At first the symptoms were mild, and I did not think seeing the doctor was necessary, but less than 12 hours later, I developed a severe rash and itching. When I called the hotel, they never returned my call, even though they stated they would make it right.

Published: June 09

The first time I saw a bed bug was this past weekend at the American Host Motel at West Falmouth, MA. I rented the motel for 2 days and I end up leaving the next morning because my daughter found these bugs all over her bed. After a few days we all have like mosquito bites all over our bodies, but my daughter and me are having skin reactions as of today. I'm trying to find out if they transmit any disease? I'm planning in visiting my doctor for his opinion.

Comment from: hatedthebites, 35-44 Male Published: March 18

My fiance and I stayed in a weekly stay hotel. The first night was fine, by the second night he woke up jumping out of bed and getting on the verge of being hysterical. He had bites all over his back and arms. I didn't get any bites I was sleeping in long pants and a long sleeve shirt ge had his boxers on. By the third night he was covered in bites. The next day we did find 4 bed bugs and when he killed one of them blood splattered out. We told the manager all they did in the beginning was move us to another room that was after the maintenance man came and found one behind the headboard. We moved and it did subside. What happened in the end is that he complained and we received all of our money back along with the deposit. It was either that or we were going to the Board of Health for our state with the evidence. We had trapped to of them in a cup and the bugs died in the cup that along with his bites was our evidence.

Comment from: homedecsewer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I saw an oval bug a few nights ago crawling on my blanket and was able to kill it. I do know in Cincinnati we have them (bed bugs) bad of course you always think it will happen to someone else and never you. Well I also had noticed some hives on my legs. I thought it was from the antibiotics that I had started taking. Well tonight I found another bug crawling about the computer stand. Now while 2 bugs don't make an infestation I think I should see about what I can do before it becomes one.

Comment from: Dude, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I thought a mosquito had taken me for an all-you-can-eat buffet. I woke up with 4-5 bites, and as the day went on I realized these bites all were surrounded by 2-3 others. In total that meant that I had about 15 bites that were very itchy.

Bed Bugs - Treatments Question: Were you able to effectively treat and rid your home of bed bugs?
Bed Bugs - In Hotels Question: Please describe your experience with bed bugs.
Bed Bugs - Prevention Question: How have you prevented bed bugs from recurring in your home?
Bed Bugs - Identification Question: Have you seen actual bed bugs? If so, please describe them, along with your experience at home or at a hotel.