Patient Comments: Bed Bugs - Initial Symptoms

What were your initial symptoms for bed bugs?

Comment from: OKLAHOMA, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

About 6 weeks ago I started noticing this rash from my elbow to my wrist and on one of my legs. They itch and burn which is very noticeable and began to feel restless. I then found them in my couch! I've bought pesticides from a co-op. We spray and spay and I still have trouble sleeping, haven't seen anymore bites but have trouble sleeping under covers.

Comment from: ANB, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 12

My son and my boyfriend had moved into a friend's house this past December. A few weeks later, I moved in. After a couple nights of sleeping there, I had bumps all over my body that were bigger than a grape and that itched horribly. No one else in the house had them, not even my son. At first I thought for sure they were hives, but they are bedbugs. I have been spraying a store-bought pesticide, vacuuming my bed, spraying my bed, and vacuuming every inch of my house for three months now. Once I think I've gotten rid of them – I get bit. Unfortunately, I'm in a sticky situation with the people who we "rent" from, so they refuse to do anything about it. But I'm terrified of taking them with me to my permanent home. I need advice.

Comment from: dynomitedina, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I recently rented a room from a friend who told me he had seen a bed bug in the room but had fogged the room three times a few weeks prior and hasn't seen any since. So I moved in and 11 days later I saw one crawling on the bedroom door. I immediately left and went to a motel. Now I've noticed bite marks on me, my dogs are itching, and there's a foul smell on my clothes. I don't know if they are in my clothes or if they are biting my dogs or what. I'm so afraid of taking the bed bugs with me when I find a permanent place to live.

Comment from: Mamrza, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

It started with bites that looked like hives or mosquito bites. Everyone in the family was bitten. We looked in the children's mattresses and did not see anything. Then we looked in my daughter's mattress, and lo and behold, there they were. We discarded the mattress and bed frame but not soon enough. Two months later, they had migrated into the children's mattresses. Ultimately, we had to discard their mattresses also. Please always have professionals handle bed bug problems. Hardware or store-bought pesticides do not work. Bed bugs have made a comeback. Always look around the home for them.

Comment from: PA, Female Published: February 09

I noticed what I thought were hives on my legs and arms. I just did not know what was causing the hives until one evening, I saw a bug crawling on a bag I had on my sofa. It was a bed bug. An exterminator came in and found another live one on the head board on the second floor. I apparently picked it up in the apartment building I work for.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I had a severe allergic reaction to bites from bed bugs. My first symptom was a highly sleepy state, almost like a depression. I was unable to put one foot in front of the other. Then I began to itch and itch, and scratch ... with no relief. Cortisone cream eventually relieved it a bit, but it went on for weeks. I had got them from a hotel, so I didn't worry that I'd brought them home.

Comment from: MELI_18, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

My problems with bed bugs all started a year ago when I had felt very itchy. I also thought that they were mosquito bites but then I knew it wasn't because I hadn't seen any mosquitoes. So I checked my bed and found bed bugs! Tons and Tons! They have been living been with me for a year now just because I didn't take the time to check my bed. I even bought a new mattress but they still came back. I had also found them in my clothes that were in the closet. They bit my fiancé so bad that I had to take him to the hospital. If you have bed bugs please call a professional for your own good.

Bed Bugs - Treatments Question: Were you able to effectively treat and rid your home of bed bugs?
Bed Bugs - In Hotels Question: Please describe your experience with bed bugs.
Bed Bugs - Prevention Question: How have you prevented bed bugs from recurring in your home?
Bed Bugs - Identification Question: Have you seen actual bed bugs? If so, please describe them, along with your experience at home or at a hotel.