Patient Comments: Bed Bugs - Initial Symptoms

What were your initial symptoms for bed bugs?

Comment from: free, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I been living at my apartment for more than 2years now and I never had a problem and I even bought a puppy for my daughter, but a couple months later me and my daughter started getting mosquito like bites and my husband didn't get anything so we assumed it was mosquitos because it was one of them hot days, but every day after that we still kept getting bites all over our body so I started thinking the dog had fleas so I bought him some flea treatments and nothing it was still the same so one night I couldn't stop scratching my leg and I got up and I started searching the bed and for my surprise I found bed bugs I was so shocked and ever since every night is hell. My daughter's skin looks bad because of the bites I'm even embarrass showing my legs and arms because they are all marked, so I'm planning to move and throw all my furniture out.

Comment from: betsylenora, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I first got bed bug bites 5 years ago after visiting my mother. Since then, every year in the summer, I get these bites. They often are in a cluster and they itch like crazy. They last a long time.

Comment from: OKLAHOMA, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

About 6 weeks ago I started noticing this rash from my elbow to my wrist and on one of my legs. They itch and burn which is very noticeable and began to feel restless. I then found them in my couch! I've bought pesticides from a co-op. We spray and spay and I still have trouble sleeping, haven't seen anymore bites but have trouble sleeping under covers.

Comment from: ANB, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 12

My son and my boyfriend had moved into a friend's house this past December. A few weeks later, I moved in. After a couple nights of sleeping there, I had bumps all over my body that were bigger than a grape and that itched horribly. No one else in the house had them, not even my son. At first I thought for sure they were hives, but they are bedbugs. I have been spraying a store-bought pesticide, vacuuming my bed, spraying my bed, and vacuuming every inch of my house for three months now. Once I think I've gotten rid of them – I get bit. Unfortunately, I'm in a sticky situation with the people who we "rent" from, so they refuse to do anything about it. But I'm terrified of taking them with me to my permanent home. I need advice.

Comment from: dynomitedina, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I recently rented a room from a friend who told me he had seen a bed bug in the room but had fogged the room three times a few weeks prior and hasn't seen any since. So I moved in and 11 days later I saw one crawling on the bedroom door. I immediately left and went to a motel. Now I've noticed bite marks on me, my dogs are itching, and there's a foul smell on my clothes. I don't know if they are in my clothes or if they are biting my dogs or what. I'm so afraid of taking the bed bugs with me when I find a permanent place to live.

Comment from: Mamrza, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

It started with bites that looked like hives or mosquito bites. Everyone in the family was bitten. We looked in the children's mattresses and did not see anything. Then we looked in my daughter's mattress, and lo and behold, there they were. We discarded the mattress and bed frame but not soon enough. Two months later, they had migrated into the children's mattresses. Ultimately, we had to discard their mattresses also. Please always have professionals handle bed bug problems. Hardware or store-bought pesticides do not work. Bed bugs have made a comeback. Always look around the home for them.

Comment from: PA, Female Published: February 09

I noticed what I thought were hives on my legs and arms. I just did not know what was causing the hives until one evening, I saw a bug crawling on a bag I had on my sofa. It was a bed bug. An exterminator came in and found another live one on the head board on the second floor. I apparently picked it up in the apartment building I work for.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I had a severe allergic reaction to bites from bed bugs. My first symptom was a highly sleepy state, almost like a depression. I was unable to put one foot in front of the other. Then I began to itch and itch, and scratch ... with no relief. Cortisone cream eventually relieved it a bit, but it went on for weeks. I had got them from a hotel, so I didn't worry that I'd brought them home.

Bed Bugs - Treatments Question: Were you able to effectively treat and rid your home of bed bugs?
Bed Bugs - In Hotels Question: Please describe your experience with bed bugs.
Bed Bugs - Prevention Question: How have you prevented bed bugs from recurring in your home?
Bed Bugs - Identification Question: Have you seen actual bed bugs? If so, please describe them, along with your experience at home or at a hotel.