Patient Comments: Bed Bugs - In Hotels

Please describe your experience with bed bugs.

Comment from: Itchy in PHX, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I was in Phoenix for a few days. The day I checked into the hotel I sat on the sofa and had bites within two hours. Of course I did not feel the actual bites, my skin started itching and I scratched and saw a number of small bites. I informed the front desk at the hotel and requested to be moved to another room. I moved to the new room, but that did not improve the situation. Over the course of the three days I was there, I experienced additional bites. I reported this to the front desk. One of the workers told me they thought they had corrected the problem. A manager was called to speak to me and she denied there was ever a bed bug problem and told me the bites did not happen at the hotel. I am back home, my skin looks awful and I cannot wait for two weeks to pass and my skin is back to normal.

Comment from: johngo, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 22

I started experiencing major itching in a few consistent areas on my arm, leg and lower tummy but when I check the areas out all I see is a little redness that could've been caused by scratching. I'm not sure what is causing this but I have recently found out a friend has bedbugs in their home, and I have sat on their furniture. I don't know but I have never experienced itching like this without some kind of noticeable red bumps.

Comment from: DeLand, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

My boyfriend is living in a motel, and I get bitten every time I go to visit him. He never seems to have any bites, but I think he is just not allergic like I am. Every morning when I am there, I awake with new bites that are red, swollen, and extremely itchy. I recently stayed for 4 nights, and by the time I left, I had over 50 bites. I tried taking Zyrtec during the day and Benadryl at night while I was there, but still had the allergic reaction. He has examined the mattress and has not been able to find any evidence of the bugs, but this has happened to me the last 3 times I visited him. I get no relief from the bites until I go back home. Normally, I have a few pop up on me after I get home for a few days, but then they all go away until I return to visit him again.

Comment from: VS, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 21

So far I haven't seen any famous hotel guarantee the room is free of bed bugs. I always check and make sure the sheet is new and clean.

Comment from: Marriot , 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

During a recent stay at a hotel, my 5 month old son and I woke up to bite marks, welts on our body. I informed the management and they quickly came to our room, ransacked the sofa sleeper that we were sleeping on and threw out our sheets and pillows. They, of course, seem very apologetic and refunded our fees 100%. We both got treated for bed bugs and I filed a claim against the hotel.

Comment from: embarrassing bite, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I actually saw this insect, black tiny thing in my motel bed. I killed the bedbug with the hotel sheet, which had blood from the previous bite, and from killing it; very gross!

Comment from: dietcokeaddict, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

So I am living in a dormitory this year for school, and a few days ago I started noticing that I was really itchy in bed. I didn't think anything of it, but the next night the same thing happened. I did also notice bite marks on my body when I woke up the next morning. I actually have not seen the bugs, but the bite marks look the same as bedbug bites and I have been quite itchy. Also, I have a tingling sensation throughout my body and have random muscle spasms. Along with that, I have been having headaches along with nausea. It is just really frustrating and painful! I have been fiercely addressing the issue, however, by getting a new bedbug-proof mattress and bedbug encasing for the mattress. I also have thrown all the bedding away and the carpets in my room. I am a highly allergic person, so I react to bites strongly. Some people might actually have bedbugs, but they show no signs of having them. It just depends on how sensitive you are to their bites. Bedbugs can climb through walls and transfer to people in many other ways, so it is important to take whatever precautions are necessary. You should not have to live with these things.

Bed Bugs - Initial Symptoms Question: What were your initial symptoms for bed bugs?
Bed Bugs - Treatments Question: Were you able to effectively treat and rid your home of bed bugs?
Bed Bugs - Prevention Question: How have you prevented bed bugs from recurring in your home?
Bed Bugs - Identification Question: Have you seen actual bed bugs? If so, please describe them, along with your experience at home or at a hotel.