Patient Comments: Bed Bugs - In Hotels

Please describe your experience with bed bugs.

Comment from: VS, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 21

So far I haven't seen any famous hotel guarantee the room is free of bed bugs. I always check and make sure the sheet is new and clean.

Comment from: Marriot , 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

During a recent stay at a hotel, my 5 month old son and I woke up to bite marks, welts on our body. I informed the management and they quickly came to our room, ransacked the sofa sleeper that we were sleeping on and threw out our sheets and pillows. They, of course, seem very apologetic and refunded our fees 100%. We both got treated for bed bugs and I filed a claim against the hotel.

Comment from: dietcokeaddict, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

So I am living in a dormitory this year for school, and a few days ago I started noticing that I was really itchy in bed. I didn't think anything of it, but the next night the same thing happened. I did also notice bite marks on my body when I woke up the next morning. I actually have not seen the bugs, but the bite marks look the same as bedbug bites and I have been quite itchy. Also, I have a tingling sensation throughout my body and have random muscle spasms. Along with that, I have been having headaches along with nausea. It is just really frustrating and painful! I have been fiercely addressing the issue, however, by getting a new bedbug-proof mattress and bedbug encasing for the mattress. I also have thrown all the bedding away and the carpets in my room. I am a highly allergic person, so I react to bites strongly. Some people might actually have bedbugs, but they show no signs of having them. It just depends on how sensitive you are to their bites. Bedbugs can climb through walls and transfer to people in many other ways, so it is important to take whatever precautions are necessary. You should not have to live with these things.

Comment from: somedumbgirl, 25-34 (Patient) Published: July 23

I have to move often. It's a renters situation, and this happens often in seattle. I was forced to move despite not having found a place to stay yet by the landlord I was renting from (he hadn't even rented the space I was occupying, but he wanted to keep it "ready" for anyone who decided to bite) I had to move, so I settled on a studio that was cheap and offered short term leases. I eventually saw the signs regarding the possibility of "bug infestations" cockroaches? fine. you can spray for those. eventually I wound up with what appeared to be huge mosquito bites. I am aware of bedbugs. I took precautions. my bed is raised off the floor by risers. I check it regularly. I IRON and steam my bed every week when I can. for the life of me, I've seen a bedbug ONCE! and yet still, sometimes when I wake up I'll have another incredibly itchy huge "mosquito bite" typically on my ankle (exposed area) or sometimes, embarrassingly, my face! I've taken to sleeping fully clothed most of the time, washing my clothes and drying on high heat often, ironing or steaming all of my cloth belongings regularly, and checking my bed as often as possible. the suckers still slip by sometimes. more recently, in hot weather, I fell asleep mostly unclothed and it was a big mistake. I'm not sure if they are all bedbug bites, but I had several of the huge "mosquito bite" sized reactions on my ankles, and the rest of my body is COVERED in red bumps that sort of itch but not as bad as the welts. This is a fucking nightmare and incredibly embarrassing. If anyone has suggestions I'd love to hear them. my mattress still seems to show no sign...

Comment from: Scrambler, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

I spent one night in a motel in Tennessee. It was a nice hotel, not a cheap one. Got up the next morning and found red itchy welts on my thigh. Didn't think anything of it until the following week when I stayed in the same hotel. More bites. I told them that I thought they had bedbugs. They were concerned and apologetic. Later that day the manager calls and told me they had thoroughly examined the room and found no evidence of bugs. he kind of intimated that I had brought them with me. Not true, I have no bedbugs in my home, did not stop anywhere else except relatives who do not have them. Where else could I have gotten them ? It made me mad. I won't stop there on my next trip to Ok. Now I'm worried that I have infested my home with these pests.

Comment from: GoAwayBites123, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

Just stayed at a hotel in Irving, TX and after the first night I noticed red bumps and patches on my L thigh and near my butt. Good thing I wore underwear to bed! They didn't itch, but they were blistery and swollen. When we got back to the house I found out they were bed bug bites. We called the hotel and told them; the person on the phone seemed very apologetic and said he would take care of them, but judging by the way the room looked (the bed spread was dirty - even to the feel, I wouldn't sit on it), there were hairs on the bathroom floor and the shower curtain was dirty on the bottom... now I get these pin pricks of pain every so often, so much it makes me jump... I use benadryl, take ibuprofen, wash the bites with antiseptic wash 2x daily, apply ice...

Comment from: tleeg1, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 11

I was forced into a homeless shelter for three months. Before I was rescued I was bitten by bed bugs. They itched terribly and I scratched. It became so bad I went to the doctor. They prescribed antibiotics and steroids as well as a highly effective topical creme. Do not delay, see a doctor right away! I nearly went insane from the itching and later the pain of being scratched raw!

Bed Bugs - Initial Symptoms Question: What were your initial symptoms for bed bugs?
Bed Bugs - Treatments Question: Were you able to effectively treat and rid your home of bed bugs?
Bed Bugs - Prevention Question: How have you prevented bed bugs from recurring in your home?
Bed Bugs - Identification Question: Have you seen actual bed bugs? If so, please describe them, along with your experience at home or at a hotel.