Patient Comments: Barrett's Esophagus - Experience

Please describe your experience with barrett's esophagus.

Comment from: Eileen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I have Barrett's esophagus and grade C esophagitis for years and recently stopped taking omeprazole; after 6 years, cold turkey! Thought I was going to die withdrawing from it. When I would eat something, anything for that matter, I would get instant heartburn bad! I would wake up out of dead sleep with heartburn shooting up like a bullet! Then all of a sudden about 40 days after I withdrew, the heartburn mysteriously went away. For days I haven't experienced any heartburn. It is now a pain like my insides are rotting, and doesn't feel good.

Comment from: Kona Kathie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I have had episodes of unexplained vomiting all my life. After endoscopy I was just diagnosed with Barrett's esophagus. I had no symptoms other than that, no GERD, never any heartburn. I am hoping that the Prilosec will help and I will look better a year from now when I have a follow-up.

Comment from: 3dogkathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I have 4 of the 6 symptom of Barrett's esophagus, and I have rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia. I inject 30 mg of methotrexate once a week. I also have zero bladder control, and anal leakage. The pain in the center of my chest has been ongoing for a week. I saw the doctor today, she ordered a scope and chest x-ray and a sonogram.

Comment from: karen, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 28

My son is 26. At the age of 13 he had a fundoplication for severe reflux. He was diagnosed with Barrett's esophagus a few years ago. The past 3 - 4 weeks he has had intense pain in his chest and back, feeling like he wants to vomit, lots of sweating and feeling dizzy and faint sometimes. He has had an ECG but it came back clear. He has a disability which makes it hard for him to tell us exactly what is going on. I feel so sorry for him because l know he is in pain but doctors just brush him off because of his disability. What do l do, I am feeling so frustrated and need help for him.

Comment from: DBS, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I was diagnosed with Barrett"s esophagus about a year ago. I took 800 mg of ibuprofen for fibromyalgia for years. I was also on Celebrex. As a child I took aspirin a lot because of bronchitis. I started having heartburn, pain in my chest, and nausea. I was put on Prilosec, but it continued. At a later time I had a scope done by my liver digestive doctor. My Prilosec was increased. I had a small hernia, GERD, irritable bowel syndrome, and 42 polyps in my stomach. After being diagnosed with Barrett"s I was put on ranitidine and they increased Prilosec. I just returned from the emergency room at the hospital with hard chest pains that radiated to my back, fatigue for 3 days, cough, and problem swallowing; I also had a migraine the day before. I always have congestion. It was caused from all my gastrointestinal problems. My mother died from pancreatic cancer and I"m just afraid after all this, I think I need to get a second opinion as he only wants to scope me every 2 to 3 years. The people with cancerous Barrett"s have all seem to have a fast growing cancer and haven"t lived long.

Barrett's Esophagus - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your Barrett's esophagus?