Patient Comments: Barrett's Esophagus - Experience

Please describe your experience with barrett's esophagus.

Comment from: Florida Girl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I have just found out that I have Barrett's esophagus and after the tests, I was unusually swollen in my upper chest area and had a lot of pain. I still have chest pains after I exert myself with work or fiscal activity.

Comment from: shell, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

GERD is the main symptom I've had with Barrett's esophagus, but I just had an endoscopy earlier today to make sure the Barrett's has not gotten any worse. I had a biopsy also, but the doctor says this is procedure and as long as I continue to take my medication, which is Protonix, I should be fine. Although a little scary, as I am not yet even 40, I just continue with the medication, as prescribed. Protonix works wonders and I would recommend it to anyone who has these issues. Even without health insurance, it is possible to get Protonix for free, through the manufacturer. Anyone in this position should talk to a doctor about it. Without medication, the chance of cancer increases, according to the doctor.

Comment from: tlc1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

My doctor came across my barrett's by accident. We thought I had celiac disease. I was 34 when diagnosed. I never suffered from traditional heartburn I just had a constant burning in my sternum. My first endoscopy several years earlier detected esophagitis. I am on an expensive drug called zegerid 40mg. once a day. It is a life saver. I notice when I forget to take it my Adams apple feels like it has been hit with a lead pipe. I just had my follow-up with the same diagnosis, premalignant dysplasia. My diet changes and belly weight loss seemed to have helped. No changes. So I am good for 2 yrs. unless I feel sick again.

Comment from: JoC, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 08

My son's father was diagnosed with Barrett's esophagus in 2007. He was taking Nexium. He was told that he had precancerous cells in his esophagus. I wish that the doctor had been more proactive - freeze the cells, radiation, something. He eventually was diagnosed with esophageal cancer in September of 2008. He died august 22, 2009 at age 47.

Comment from: clamps88, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I've suffered 25 years + with heartburn and was told the heartburn would go when I had my first child. (She is now 24!!!). I saw various doctors and was told the heartburn was because I`m overweight and will go once lost weight. I finally was diagnosed with a 5cm sliding hiatus hernia and Barrett's esophagus a couple years ago. I live on omeprazole tablets and they STILL do not help. I`ve tried changing my diet. I`ve also recently had my gallbladder removed due to multiple stones and coping with kidney stones, depression and possible arthritis in the knee joints. I am physically and mentally a wreck and hate my standard of life at 43 feeling like a 70 year old. I wish I could feel happier and healthier for myself and family's sake.

Comment from: cpopex, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

Barrett's was diagnosed in August. I am on Nexium although I did not always remember to take it. Have had chest pressure on left side (with pinching), back and center chest pressure with left arm feeling "unusual." In the last 3 years I have had chest x rays, heart tests, gall bladder tests, cat scan which were all okay. The Doctor wanted to wait 3 years to do another endoscopy. It is scheduled next week. Somehow I think it is cancer. Maybe I should have insisted on having an endoscopy sooner? I am worried.

Comment from: Dave1Cav, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 21

I was diagnosed with Barrett's esophagus 2 days ago after calling 911 thinking I was having a Heart attack. The pain was in the top of my stomach and under my Sternum. I had no signs of GERD or Heartburn. 34 years ago when I was 20 I was diagnosed with a Duodenum Ulcer and Hiatal Hernia and was treated with Tagamet then Zantac over a 5 year period.

Barrett's Esophagus - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your Barrett's esophagus?