Patient Comments: Barrett's Esophagus - Experience

Please describe your experience with barrett's esophagus.

Comment from: tlc1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

My doctor came across my barrett's by accident. We thought I had celiac disease. I was 34 when diagnosed. I never suffered from traditional heartburn I just had a constant burning in my sternum. My first endoscopy several years earlier detected esophagitis. I am on an expensive drug called zegerid 40mg. once a day. It is a life saver. I notice when I forget to take it my Adams apple feels like it has been hit with a lead pipe. I just had my follow-up with the same diagnosis, premalignant dysplasia. My diet changes and belly weight loss seemed to have helped. No changes. So I am good for 2 yrs. unless I feel sick again.

Comment from: JoC, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 08

My son's father was diagnosed with Barrett's esophagus in 2007. He was taking Nexium. He was told that he had precancerous cells in his esophagus. I wish that the doctor had been more proactive - freeze the cells, radiation, something. He eventually was diagnosed with esophageal cancer in September of 2008. He died august 22, 2009 at age 47.

Comment from: clamps88, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I've suffered 25 years + with heartburn and was told the heartburn would go when I had my first child. (She is now 24!!!). I saw various doctors and was told the heartburn was because I`m overweight and will go once lost weight. I finally was diagnosed with a 5cm sliding hiatus hernia and Barrett's esophagus a couple years ago. I live on omeprazole tablets and they STILL do not help. I`ve tried changing my diet. I`ve also recently had my gallbladder removed due to multiple stones and coping with kidney stones, depression and possible arthritis in the knee joints. I am physically and mentally a wreck and hate my standard of life at 43 feeling like a 70 year old. I wish I could feel happier and healthier for myself and family's sake.

Comment from: cpopex, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

Barrett's was diagnosed in August. I am on Nexium although I did not always remember to take it. Have had chest pressure on left side (with pinching), back and center chest pressure with left arm feeling "unusual." In the last 3 years I have had chest x rays, heart tests, gall bladder tests, cat scan which were all okay. The Doctor wanted to wait 3 years to do another endoscopy. It is scheduled next week. Somehow I think it is cancer. Maybe I should have insisted on having an endoscopy sooner? I am worried.

Comment from: Dave1Cav, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 21

I was diagnosed with Barrett's esophagus 2 days ago after calling 911 thinking I was having a Heart attack. The pain was in the top of my stomach and under my Sternum. I had no signs of GERD or Heartburn. 34 years ago when I was 20 I was diagnosed with a Duodenum Ulcer and Hiatal Hernia and was treated with Tagamet then Zantac over a 5 year period.

Comment from: T, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I am under forty and was just diagnosed with Barretts. Mine was based on GERD which I have had since college. I am taking Kapidex which makes me feel a lot better, but I still have a dull pain in my chest. Depending on which foods I eat, I have good days and bad days. My treatment plan right now is to be screened once a year and continue to take meds. I also have bouts of extreme tiredness.

Comment from: bee bee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I was sick with acid reflux; I had no money so I couldn't see a doctor. It got to the point that I was up all night sitting up with heart burn so bad that it went to my throat. Finally, I had a break down from shaking, vomiting, and losing weight. My mood swings were bad and angry at everyone. While I was in the recovery a doctor looked at me after reviewing my blood tests and told me I had hyperactive thyroid disease and a goiter. It ended up they removed it with iodine radiation. I felt better for a while but of course needed replacement therapy. They also put me on Protonix for the acid reflux. I did very well for about 4 years. The reflux came back I handled it for about 3 more years with bouts of it now and then until I no longer could handle it anymore. I thought I was going to have a heart attack one night. I met with my gastrologist and he scheduled an endoscopy. He took routine biopsies which showed that I have Barretts esophagus. To top it off I have empysema. When my thyroid first began I felt as though this caused the acid reflux which then grew into a problem. Then over time it has worsened. I read that sometimes food overflows into the lungs. At this time I am suppose to have an endoscopy which will be a two year mark in February of 2010. I can't hold food down now, it won't digest, I vomit full chunks of food, I am losing weight again. I can't eat meat, subs, I am constipated all the time. My throat is always killing me, I am constantly spitting up and coughing. Should I push for another endoscopy at this time instead of waiting for Feb. It has been a year and 4 months at this time. I am getting worried.

Barrett's Esophagus - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your Barrett's esophagus?