Patient Comments: Barrett's Esophagus - Experience

Please describe your experience with barrett's esophagus.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I was diagnosed as having Barrett's esophagus earlier this year. I still get heartburn, acid reflux and pain in my right side just under my ribs. I have also had a couple of episodes of sickness and feeling very drained and tired. I am now thinking of making another appointment to get things checked out again.

Comment from: Nordy, 45-54 Male Published: July 01

I was diagnosed with “Barrett's syndrome” more than five years ago. The doctor that had examined me was going to set me up for surgery. They had to postpone it until I came off the blood thinners I was on from the blood clots I had. (That's another story.) I had continued to take my prescription for my Barrett's esophagus for the five years until after I had a gone through my second ACL knee replacement. I had been taking ibuprofen (800 mg) every day for the pain and swelling. Once I had my knee fixed, I stopped taking them. It's been almost two years since my knee surgery, and I have not had any problems with my Barrett's esophagus. I can eat anything now. Funny thing is, I must have seen six doctors, and not one of them said anything to me about the ibuprofen I had been taking.

Comment from: dawna79, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

In May of 2007, I was diagnosed with GERD and Barrett's Esophagus, which I never knew I had. I was 27. It felt as if I was catching the flu and then was sick. I couldn't eat or drink, not even water or crackers. Then I got very weak over night and couldn't walk from one room to the other. I started vomiting blood and running to the bathroom with diarrhea with blood in it. When we went to the hospital, they told me I had lost so much that if I waited any longer, it would have killed me. I had a blood transfusion. They told me afterward that I had Barrett's. They put me on Nexium.

Comment from: Barrybarb, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I was diagnosed with Barrett's esophagus 10 years ago and have been taking PPIs since. I recently was found to have polyps, probably related to taking the PPIS. My doctor put me on Carafate, and I stopped the PPIs. My heart burn is back so I, without consultation, went back to taking PPIs. I think I would rather deal with benign polyps.

Comment from: Florida Girl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I have just found out that I have Barrett's esophagus and after the tests, I was unusually swollen in my upper chest area and had a lot of pain. I still have chest pains after I exert myself with work or fiscal activity.

Comment from: shell, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

GERD is the main symptom I've had with Barrett's esophagus, but I just had an endoscopy earlier today to make sure the Barrett's has not gotten any worse. I had a biopsy also, but the doctor says this is procedure and as long as I continue to take my medication, which is Protonix, I should be fine. Although a little scary, as I am not yet even 40, I just continue with the medication, as prescribed. Protonix works wonders and I would recommend it to anyone who has these issues. Even without health insurance, it is possible to get Protonix for free, through the manufacturer. Anyone in this position should talk to a doctor about it. Without medication, the chance of cancer increases, according to the doctor.

Comment from: JoC, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 08

My son's father was diagnosed with Barrett's esophagus in 2007. He was taking Nexium. He was told that he had precancerous cells in his esophagus. I wish that the doctor had been more proactive - freeze the cells, radiation, something. He eventually was diagnosed with esophageal cancer in September of 2008. He died august 22, 2009 at age 47.

Comment from: clamps88, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I've suffered 25 years + with heartburn and was told the heartburn would go when I had my first child. (She is now 24!!!). I saw various doctors and was told the heartburn was because I`m overweight and will go once lost weight. I finally was diagnosed with a 5cm sliding hiatus hernia and Barrett's esophagus a couple years ago. I live on omeprazole tablets and they STILL do not help. I`ve tried changing my diet. I`ve also recently had my gallbladder removed due to multiple stones and coping with kidney stones, depression and possible arthritis in the knee joints. I am physically and mentally a wreck and hate my standard of life at 43 feeling like a 70 year old. I wish I could feel happier and healthier for myself and family's sake.

Barrett's Esophagus - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your Barrett's esophagus?