Patient Comments: Barrett's Esophagus - Experience

Please describe your experience with barrett's esophagus.

Comment from: Anne P, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I was diagnosed with Barrett's with high grade dysplasia in '05 and had immediate surgery with a partial Gastro-Esophagectomy. I had six inches of my esophagus removed. Post-op recovery was extremely difficult. I am an RN so felt I knew somewhat what to expect. I lost 40 lbs (I have regained 10) and eating is still problematic, to say the least. I must sleep practically upright. I eat small meals frequently and generally stick to fairly low fat, minimal alcohol diet. I take Prevacid 30 mg in morning and Zantac 150 mg at bedtime. I only hope the surgery was absolutely necessary and that all will be OK for the future.

Comment from: judgerms, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 20

I have severe GERD that was first diagnosed in October 2008. I underwent twice daily treatment with Nexium and had a follow up scope in February 2009. I was diagnosed with Barrett's esophagus. My doctor recommends the ablation therapy. My reflux is pretty much under control. I still take Nexium once a day (I have lost more than 100 pounds, quit drinking alcohol, try not to eat late at night, etc). I am concerned that this article seems to recommend that the ablation only be performed by a study group. I have the procedure scheduled in December.

Comment from: croakrz1@aol.com, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I just yesterday had my second in 5 yrs. - endoscopy and colonoscopy. I was diagnosed with hiatus hernia and z-line or barrets. I'm 58. Although I've lived in agony for over 9 yrs., most of the doctors I've seen were concerned, honest and helpful. From what I've been reading on this site, I read repeatedly about, mostly insurers and some doctors, dropping the ball or the paitent. I thought I had it bad with no insurance at all, and going to a clinic run by the University of Florida. Thank God for them.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I was diagnosed as having Barrett's esophagus earlier this year. I still get heartburn, acid reflux and pain in my right side just under my ribs. I have also had a couple of episodes of sickness and feeling very drained and tired. I am now thinking of making another appointment to get things checked out again.

Comment from: Nordy, 45-54 Male Published: July 01

I was diagnosed with “Barrett's syndrome” more than five years ago. The doctor that had examined me was going to set me up for surgery. They had to postpone it until I came off the blood thinners I was on from the blood clots I had. (That's another story.) I had continued to take my prescription for my Barrett's esophagus for the five years until after I had a gone through my second ACL knee replacement. I had been taking ibuprofen (800 mg) every day for the pain and swelling. Once I had my knee fixed, I stopped taking them. It's been almost two years since my knee surgery, and I have not had any problems with my Barrett's esophagus. I can eat anything now. Funny thing is, I must have seen six doctors, and not one of them said anything to me about the ibuprofen I had been taking.

Comment from: dawna79, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

In May of 2007, I was diagnosed with GERD and Barrett's Esophagus, which I never knew I had. I was 27. It felt as if I was catching the flu and then was sick. I couldn't eat or drink, not even water or crackers. Then I got very weak over night and couldn't walk from one room to the other. I started vomiting blood and running to the bathroom with diarrhea with blood in it. When we went to the hospital, they told me I had lost so much that if I waited any longer, it would have killed me. I had a blood transfusion. They told me afterward that I had Barrett's. They put me on Nexium.

Comment from: Barrybarb, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I was diagnosed with Barrett's esophagus 10 years ago and have been taking PPIs since. I recently was found to have polyps, probably related to taking the PPIS. My doctor put me on Carafate, and I stopped the PPIs. My heart burn is back so I, without consultation, went back to taking PPIs. I think I would rather deal with benign polyps.

Barrett's Esophagus - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your Barrett's esophagus?