- A Visual Guide to Migraine Headaches Slideshow
- Headache and Migraine Triggers Slideshow
- Take the Migraines Quiz
- What are barbiturates?
- For what conditions are barbiturates prescribed?
- What are examples barbiturates of available in the US?
- What are the side effects of barbiturates?
- What drugs interact with barbiturates?
- What formulations of are available barbiturates?
- What about taking barbiturates during pregnancy or while breastfeeding?
What are examples barbiturates of available in the US?
Examples of barbiturates available in the US include:
- amobarbital (Amytal)
- butabarbital (Butisol)
- pentobarbital (Nembutal)
- secobarbital (Seconal)
- belladonna and phenobarbital (Donnatal)
- butalbital/acetaminophen/caffeine (Esgic, Fioricet)
- butalbital/aspirin/caffeine (Fiorinal Ascomp, Fortabs)
What are the side effects of barbiturates?
Common side effects of barbiturates are:
Barbiturates can slow breathing, reduce heart rate, and they can be habit forming.
Quick GuideMigraine or Headache? Migraine Symptoms, Triggers, Treatment
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.