Patient Comments: Baker Cyst - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your Baker's cyst?

Comment from: have it, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I have my Baker's cyst aspirated every 3 months, more or less. Instant relief. It keeps refilling but a few minutes at the vein doctor's office is my cure. Since it appears that surgical removal of the cyst is not always the permanent cure, I prefer to just have it aspirated. Pain for the procedure is minimal. I think a tetanus shot is much more painful than the initial pinch of the needle to aspirate the cyst.

Comment from: pcat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

If you have a lot of painful swelling all around knee, get a needle aspiration (if you don't have diabetes or some other limiting condition). I wished I had known about that easy procedure, and insisted upon it! Cortisone helped some but the Baker's cyst ruptured and 4 months later I was still trying to get back to normal. Elevate in bed, ice, no bending, and no kneeling. No dancing. Aleve helps.

Comment from: LoveApollo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I broke my Baker's cyst 3 years ago in a fall. I had it drained and injected 3 times, under ultra sound. The last treatment did not help. On 11/3/16 I had cold laser therapy for the first time. It immediately released the scar tissue which prevented me from climbing stairs. I no longer need pain relievers.

Comment from: Nosurrender, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I recently awoke with a very painful knot behind my knee, with pain running down my calf. I thought maybe a DVT (deep vein thrombosis), but was diagnosed with a Baker's cyst. I was told nothing could be done, except to maybe aspirate it. It apparently ruptured, as the knot is gone, my calf is green and bruised looking, and the calf pain is incredible. My doctor told me that continued activity will help speed the re absorption of the fluid in my calf, so I take ibuprofen and push through. The one thing that I have found that truly makes a difference is an exercise called Piyo. It's a more dynamic form of yoga. The deep stretches and strengthening of the muscles supporting my knee bring me more pain relief than any of the other suggested treatments that I've tried. Also, drinking lots of water seems to help in flushing out the drainage in my calf muscle.

Comment from: Karen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

Last week, I was peeling potatoes at the kitchen island, was hit with the most excruciating pain in my left knee, and could not stand or put any weight on it for three days. I was taken to the hospital by paramedics and was in the emergency room 8 hours and then I was admitted. On having an MRI on both knees five years ago I was diagnosed with a ganglion cyst and a Baker's cyst in my left knee; I just knew one of those cyst had burst as the pain was behind my left knee and down my calf. I was in the hospital two days, so now I am home recuperating. I do not feel the doctor, who treated me could know or imagine the pain one feels when these cysts rupture, as they tried to walk me immediately. I could not stand, bend my leg nor put any weight on it. They will be doing in-home therapy and my left knee will be replaced this year. Both cysts are now gone. Trust they will never return.

Comment from: marian, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I fell on some rocks and hurt my right side, ribs, shoulder, and knee but it was my left foot that was broken. I was able to get myself up and drive to the emergency room for x-rays. I had little or no pain in my foot. I saw my doctor the next morning.

Baker Cyst - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Baker cyst.
Baker Cyst - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your Baker cyst?