Patient Comments: Baker's Cyst - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your Baker's cyst?

Comment from: ARLENE, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I was diagnosed with Baker's cyst a month ago. I had no idea it was in the back of the knee until I was working in the back yard, and had pain so bad I could not stand. I have tried everything staying off it, elevating, hot and cold remedy, taped the knee, and wrapped the knee. Naturopath wrap with castor oil with a heating pad works for a little bit but no relief is constant. Taking ibuprofen relieves some of the pain but if I stop taking it, unbelievable pain. I have been active all my life hiking, biking, yard work, this is the most debilitating thing ever. I hope no one else has to deal with this.

Comment from: have it, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I have my Baker's cyst aspirated every 3 months, more or less. Instant relief. It keeps refilling but a few minutes at the vein doctor's office is my cure. Since it appears that surgical removal of the cyst is not always the permanent cure, I prefer to just have it aspirated. Pain for the procedure is minimal. I think a tetanus shot is much more painful than the initial pinch of the needle to aspirate the cyst.

Comment from: pcat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

If you have a lot of painful swelling all around knee, get a needle aspiration (if you don't have diabetes or some other limiting condition). I wished I had known about that easy procedure, and insisted upon it! Cortisone helped some but the Baker's cyst ruptured and 4 months later I was still trying to get back to normal. Elevate in bed, ice, no bending, and no kneeling. No dancing. Aleve helps.

Comment from: LoveApollo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I broke my Baker's cyst 3 years ago in a fall. I had it drained and injected 3 times, under ultra sound. The last treatment did not help. On 11/3/16 I had cold laser therapy for the first time. It immediately released the scar tissue which prevented me from climbing stairs. I no longer need pain relievers.

Comment from: Nosurrender, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I recently awoke with a very painful knot behind my knee, with pain running down my calf. I thought maybe a DVT (deep vein thrombosis), but was diagnosed with a Baker's cyst. I was told nothing could be done, except to maybe aspirate it. It apparently ruptured, as the knot is gone, my calf is green and bruised looking, and the calf pain is incredible. My doctor told me that continued activity will help speed the re absorption of the fluid in my calf, so I take ibuprofen and push through. The one thing that I have found that truly makes a difference is an exercise called Piyo. It's a more dynamic form of yoga. The deep stretches and strengthening of the muscles supporting my knee bring me more pain relief than any of the other suggested treatments that I've tried. Also, drinking lots of water seems to help in flushing out the drainage in my calf muscle.

Comment from: RJ7, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

This is not a recommendation. Weigh your options carefully. When I saw the doctor for my finger infection I was prescribed an antiviral medicine. I later learned that I had a herpetic whitlow. For two months I thought it was a skin irritation. In any event, the medication was intolerable, complete poison. I put crushed garlic over the infection, wrapped in gauze tape for as long as tolerable, and then followed up with warm saline soaks.

Baker's Cyst - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Baker's cyst.
Baker's Cyst - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms or signs did you experience with your Baker's cyst?