Patient Comments: Baker Cyst - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your Baker's cyst?

Comment from: Nosurrender, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I recently awoke with a very painful knot behind my knee, with pain running down my calf. I thought maybe a DVT (deep vein thrombosis), but was diagnosed with a Baker's cyst. I was told nothing could be done, except to maybe aspirate it. It apparently ruptured, as the knot is gone, my calf is green and bruised looking, and the calf pain is incredible. My doctor told me that continued activity will help speed the re absorption of the fluid in my calf, so I take ibuprofen and push through. The one thing that I have found that truly makes a difference is an exercise called Piyo. It's a more dynamic form of yoga. The deep stretches and strengthening of the muscles supporting my knee bring me more pain relief than any of the other suggested treatments that I've tried. Also, drinking lots of water seems to help in flushing out the drainage in my calf muscle.

Comment from: Karen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

Last week, I was peeling potatoes at the kitchen island, was hit with the most excruciating pain in my left knee, and could not stand or put any weight on it for three days. I was taken to the hospital by paramedics and was in the emergency room 8 hours and then I was admitted. On having an MRI on both knees five years ago I was diagnosed with a ganglion cyst and a Baker's cyst in my left knee; I just knew one of those cyst had burst as the pain was behind my left knee and down my calf. I was in the hospital two days, so now I am home recuperating. I do not feel the doctor, who treated me could know or imagine the pain one feels when these cysts rupture, as they tried to walk me immediately. I could not stand, bend my leg nor put any weight on it. They will be doing in-home therapy and my left knee will be replaced this year. Both cysts are now gone. Trust they will never return.

Comment from: Dick, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 04

I got a Baker's cyst on my knee that I had a full Knee replacement. It got infected and I was put on an antibiotic (nafcillin) for 6 weeks. I had to have metal taken out of knee and a spacer was put in. Four months later I am about to have knee replacement with metal put back in. This has been the most painful 4 months I have ever had in my life and I am 79 years old. The scary part reading is that the cyst could come back. I hope not.

Comment from: Stovegirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I developed a Baker's cyst I think while running, but continued to exercise for the last year plus I've been doing a lot of Zumba and walking several miles a day. I have been to the knee doctor for advice and had 2 cortisone shots that worked just okay for a short time. I'm not sure I will get another as I read it damages cartilage! Great! So now I'm looking at draining option and possible knee injections of something like Euflexxa. I'm not sure if I want to do that as it is expensive and some bad results have been reported by some. I've retired from Zumba but not walking so far, and the weight is creeping up which is not good either! Very difficult. Advil, ice, heat wraps are the only relief when I exercise. It is not as bad as some report, I'm not running much at all and trying to just walk briskly. This cyst is not fun!

Comment from: maryann, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I had a Baker's cyst prior to total knee replacement that didn"t bother me at all. I felt the lump but it didn"t hurt or affect the bending of the knee. Since having a total knee replacement (TKR) for it, the Baker's cyst fills up almost monthly, doesn"t hurt particularly but makes bending the knee difficult because the entire knee swells up. In addition, it appears as if the cyst burst once and blood filled the knee joint and the cyst. It continues to fill almost monthly and I"m not sure if it is blood each time or synovial fluid. No one seems to be able to give me that answer. The bottom line: having TKR does not guarantee that the Baker's cyst will be fixed. It could get worse as it has in my case. TKR should be done only if the pain in the knee from osteoarthritis is unbearable, not to fix the cyst.

Baker Cyst - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Baker cyst.
Baker Cyst - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your Baker cyst?