Patient Comments: Baker Cyst - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your Baker's cyst?

Comment from: maryann, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I had a Baker's cyst prior to total knee replacement that didn"t bother me at all. I felt the lump but it didn"t hurt or affect the bending of the knee. Since having a total knee replacement (TKR) for it, the Baker's cyst fills up almost monthly, doesn"t hurt particularly but makes bending the knee difficult because the entire knee swells up. In addition, it appears as if the cyst burst once and blood filled the knee joint and the cyst. It continues to fill almost monthly and I"m not sure if it is blood each time or synovial fluid. No one seems to be able to give me that answer. The bottom line: having TKR does not guarantee that the Baker's cyst will be fixed. It could get worse as it has in my case. TKR should be done only if the pain in the knee from osteoarthritis is unbearable, not to fix the cyst.

Comment from: Need a knee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have had a Bakers cyst for 3 years. I'm a golfer and I work out at least 3 days a week. The Baker's cyst really ends your activity. My chiropractor set my knee every week; also he used cold therapy laser treatment! It rid me of the cyst for a good year. Just recently it reared its ugly head again. It has been a week with chiropractor and almost walking normal!

Comment from: Carmen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I have one total knee replacement and waiting for nerve to have other knee replaced. I was walking down only 1 porch step and began to walk when I heard a very loud pop and I felt like someone had shot me in the back of my knee. Everyone heard the pop and I could not put any weight on my foot for at least 5 minutes. I began walking around slowly and for days my calf ached like I had been ran over by a truck. Someone gasped at the black bruise running from behind my knee to my ankle. All seems well now. I never called my Dr but at my last visit with my Arthritis Dr he explained what had happened....Baker Cyst.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I was just told I have a Baker's cyst behind my knee. I first started having terrible pain behind my knee, lower leg and upper leg. My knee is weak, I have been wrapping my leg and it seems to helping. I am also taking pain medication. My doctor wants me to go a specialist, I can"t really afford that right now. I"ve decided to take charge of my body by dieting, and being a little more aware of my limitations because I"m not in my 20s anymore.

Comment from: XocaiKy, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 28

I was recently diagnosed with a Baker's cyst (broke right foot and in healing tore left leg up), and as it is an inflammatory condition, I increased my consumption of Healthy Chocolate (TM) and reduced the swelling by consuming high amounts of antioxidants. This same pharmaceutical grade chocolate had previously eliminated the arthritis I had in my hands, and it tastes good! Replace the junk chocolate candy you undoubtedly eat with Healthy Chocolate and feel the difference!

Comment from: Sandy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 28

After first getting an MRI, an ultrasound determined that I had a Baker's Cyst. The orthopedic surgeon gave me the following three choices of treatment: Drain the cyst, arthroscopic surgery or a cortisone "cocktail". I opted for the cortisone and had some immediate relief and within 72 hours substantial relief. It is now 9 months later and I am fully recovered, but do avoid things like deep knee bends.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 16

I am a 51 year old woman and have had swelling from fluid in my knee and calf. I took Celebrex for 9 days, but the swelling didn't go down very much. As a matter of fact after I stopped the Celebrex it seemed that the swelling concentrated in my calf. The pain is so bad since my mobility is restricted. I walk with a limp sometimes. I had an ultrasound to check for a blood clot and they diagnosed me with a baker's cyst. I may also have a calf injury since I'm not sure if the calf swelling is from a ruptured baker's cyst or a calf injury. So more testing and evaluation is needed.

Baker Cyst - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Baker cyst.
Baker Cyst - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your Baker cyst?