Patient Comments: Baker Cyst - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your Baker's cyst?

Comment from: Mona, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I am a 41 year old female and noticed a knot on the side of my right knee that was very painful. I couldn't get any sleep for the pain was so painful. I was going crazy there was a vein going up the center of it, so my friends advised me to go to the emergency room in fear that it was a blood clot and they diagnosed me with a Bakers cyst. I have not found anything to help relieve the pain the ER advised me to go see my regular DR. so that he could follow up on it and that I probably will need to have surgery. This has affected everything that I do day to day.

Comment from: Joyce Finch, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 10

My mother phoned me two nights ago crying out in pain about a terrible pain in her knee, I called an ambulance for her because she was hyperventilating with the pain she was taken to emergency and admitted over night the pain was so bad she had to be given morphine, after x-rays it showed it was a bakers cyst that had ruptured they drained the fluid from her knee, and she was discharged the next day, I have never heard of a Bakers cyst before.

Comment from: craig, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 10

I am a 58 year old male who has run most of my life but after a race on 9/18/11 a cyst formed behind my left knee. I managed this by stopping running, heat and cold treatments. I was recently concerned with some pain issues from my knee down but as of today i am finally feeling normal now. I did wrap my knee recently and applied more heat. This had taken 2 months to heal. I will probably stay away from running through the winter and see how i feel in the spring. My 5km time was 24:00 min.!!!

Comment from: Diane Fisher, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I am an extremely active 37 year old female. I teach Yoga 5-6 times per week, run 3 times per week, and use the elliptical 2 times per week. I have Bakers' Cysts on the back of BOTH knees. One recently ruptured, and the pain is intense with it shooting, and throbbing to my swollen ankle. My husband is a Pain Physician/Anesthesiologist, but doesn't know much about these types of cysts. If I have them on both knees, is that indicative of a tear in the knee meniscus? Since I run a lot (9 miles at a time), I assume I ripped something along the way.

Comment from: Mary, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I recently was diagnosed with a Baker's cyst that ruptured. The pain was so bad in the calf of my left leg I screamed. I have a high tolerance of pain but this pain was deep in the muscle. I went to Urgent Care and the Dr there sent me to the ER. They took an ultra sound and ruled out blood clot but were unable to see anything else. I then went to see my primary Dr and he examined and measured the legs and the left leg was so swollen. He then said that it was Baker's cyst that burst and the synovial fluid drained down into the calf causes inflammation. I was put on Oxycodone at the hospital so the pain is slowly subsiding but still hurts. I am unable to take oxycodone while at work as I work with children and need to be alert. So am taking Aleve. Just a matter of time before it heals.

Comment from: Brenda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I am getting ready to see an orthopedic surgeon. I just want the Baker's cyst out. I had started spin and cycling back in January. I had a terrible fall in December, which I think caused the cyst. In addition, an arthroscopic procedure to the knee over 20 years ago, which was also causing me pain in the front area of the knee. Whatever it is, has to be from the fall. I want it out.

Comment from: Sandy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 28

After first getting an MRI, an ultrasound determined that I had a Baker's Cyst. The orthopedic surgeon gave me the following three choices of treatment: Drain the cyst, arthroscopic surgery or a cortisone "cocktail". I opted for the cortisone and had some immediate relief and within 72 hours substantial relief. It is now 9 months later and I am fully recovered, but do avoid things like deep knee bends.

Baker Cyst - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Baker cyst.
Baker Cyst - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your Baker cyst?