Patient Comments: Baker Cyst - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your Baker's cyst?

Comment from: bedbound, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

To those of you who have a Baker's Cyst - my sympathy. The pain is worse than child birth. Beware of orthodox doctors. I have had a cyst for over a month and have seen three doctors to try to get some relief. I have had numerous X-rays, MRI, and ultrasounds. I have had two injections along with an aspiration and have determined there is no hope of relief. I am now trying ginger tea daily. It has destroyed any life since you end up lying in bed with it elevated and iced. After thousands of wasted dollars basically it's life and old age. I am only 56 and cannot believe there is not a solution to this problem. I am exercising only to end up with three plus edema at the end of the day. Any advice or success of easing the pain would be appreciated. Surgery is not an option at least for me.

Comment from: Purplelily, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I had a tightening in the back of my knee which felt as though the tendon wasn't stretching. It would go away after a few minutes and was not continuous. About two weeks ago, my knee began to swell for no apparent reason. I limited my activity, iced it, and took ibuprofen. Well today after loved ones said you really need to see what is going on, I went to a doctor. Immediately -- fluid at rear of the knee – Baker's cyst, slight arthritis, and bone spur on the knee cap. So I had the fluid aspirated (30 ccs drawn when there is typically 5 ccs) and cortisone inserted. I am taking anti-inflammatories for the next week. Within hours the swelling has gone down and the pain is more like soreness.

Comment from: 48globugg, 45-54 Published: January 06

On Christmas Eve I was walking and experienced the worse pain ever. From behind my calf the pain occurred, knee became numb, toes swelled. After a visit to the ER I was told I had a Baker's Cyst and it had burst. My calf and shin became bruised. I could not touch my skin. I could not walk. I iced and elevated my leg foe 3 days. On day 4 I found a long bruise down on my ankle and the entire ankle area became a purple colored bruise. I continue to do my exercises to stretch the tendons. My walk is just about normal. Thanks for letting me share.

Comment from: panagringa, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I have a Baker's cyst which is very painful. It was drained but pain continues. Had ultrasound, X-rays twice, and MRI. Appears I also have a tear in the Meniscus and surgery is scheduled for six days from now. Pain is severe and I have to stay in bed as walking is so painful. Doctor says surgery to mend the tear might help but is not assured. I was taken oxycodone 20 mg but it has not helped the pain except it makes me sleep.

Comment from: alicewonderswhy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I have suffered with a Baker's cyst for three years. I had a cortisone injection two years ago that worked fine. A new doctor will not give me a shot, another specialist will not operate. I am in agony every day. Who will help me? I cannot sleep somedays and can hardly walk.

Comment from: Florida Gal, Published: July 12

While waiting to take a cruise, my left knee gave out on me with extreme pain. It resulted in my husband and I having to cancel our cruise and return home. An MRI showed a Baker's Cyst and torn cartilage. I had surgery to remove the cartilage but the Baker's cyst got really bad. I did not know I had this cyst until the MRI. After reading other reports I wonder if the swollen Baker's Cyst caused my knee to give out on me resulting in torn cartilage. The doctor says we should not remove it, but I am wondering if that is correct.

Comment from: Jodi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

I had a Baker's cyst twice in a few months. I was going for physical therapy for my right knee and started to get some pain on the back of my knee and down my calf. I was treated at physical therapy with ultrasound 4 to 5 times and it went away! Physical therapy is the best root to go for any joint pain.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

I was walking up the driveway and felt a sharp pain in the back of my leg just below my knee. I could hardly get myself into the house. I immediately put some ice on it thinking it was a pulled muscle. Two days later I went to the doctor and she told me that it was a Baker'ss cyst that ruptured. I received some cream to rub into the pain area and take ibuprofen twice a day and wrap my lower leg. Hoping this only lasts a few days. It is very painful to walk.

Baker Cyst - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Baker cyst.
Baker Cyst - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your Baker cyst?