Patient Comments: Baker Cyst - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your Baker's cyst?

Comment from: Brian, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 20

I am 76 with a ruptured Baker's cyst. I am unable to do much without lots of pain behind right knee, and my foot is swollen, almost twice its size. I am keeping ice packs almost hourly. I went to emergency twice, first told it was cellulitis, then I had more testing. I can't get out of a chair or bed without help.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I had arthroscopy surgery to repair torn cartilage knowing Baker's cyst was behind my knee. It burst and caused pain and bruising down the calf area. Now two and a half months later the knee and ankle still swell and are tight. Pity surgeons don't seem to know much about it.

Comment from: Al Jones, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 24

I am an active 63 year old marine engineer still working, diagnosed last year with a Baker's cyst plus early osteoarthritis. Walking down stairs is extremely hard and my job means I am on my feet working 12 hour shifts which is making my knee problems so much worse. I was prescribed Celebrex and Panadol Osteo; very little effect on my knees. I had a cartridge removed when I was a soccer mad 16 year old, bad move I now think. I am not offered surgery or cortisone injections, and night pain is increasing. Voltaren gel is ineffective. I am waiting to see an orthopedic surgeon.

Comment from: Need a knee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have had a Bakers cyst for 3 years. I'm a golfer and I work out at least 3 days a week. The Baker's cyst really ends your activity. My chiropractor set my knee every week; also he used cold therapy laser treatment! It rid me of the cyst for a good year. Just recently it reared its ugly head again. It has been a week with chiropractor and almost walking normal!

Comment from: Carmen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I have one total knee replacement and waiting for nerve to have other knee replaced. I was walking down only 1 porch step and began to walk when I heard a very loud pop and I felt like someone had shot me in the back of my knee. Everyone heard the pop and I could not put any weight on my foot for at least 5 minutes. I began walking around slowly and for days my calf ached like I had been ran over by a truck. Someone gasped at the black bruise running from behind my knee to my ankle. All seems well now. I never called my Dr but at my last visit with my Arthritis Dr he explained what had happened....Baker Cyst.

Comment from: Gail, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

About a week ago, I was diagnosed with a Baker's cyst behind my right knee. My right leg and foot are much larger than the left, due to swelling. I do have osteoarthritis in both knees and am wearing unloader braces on both. But the continuous aching and pain in the right knee are relentless. The knee feels much better when I wear the brace, but there is no avoiding the pain. I have been on oxycodone and Tylenol 4, but nothing provides relief for the pain. I am taking Tylenol 4 every morning. My primary care physician has made a referral to the only hip and knee clinic in the city, but the wait is 4 to 5 months, before I will be able to see the next available doctor. I know it is horrible and nasty for me to say but I hope the cyst ruptures and I end up in the hospital. Maybe then someone will care enough to help me. I no longer enjoy life, and try to never leave the house.

Comment from: Dave, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 02

I have a Baker's cyst behind both knees. I have had some pretty painful broken bones in my life but this constant pain is the most debilitating condition of all. Last week my right leg has been drained 2 times both producing 30 odd ml of fluid each time. I am beside myself with pain in both legs at this time. This site has been helpful as my doctors and local hospital have not given any ideas of treatment apart from draining once a week.

Baker Cyst - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Baker cyst.
Baker Cyst - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your Baker cyst?