Patient Comments: Baker Cyst - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your Baker cyst?

Comment from: sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I have had two ruptured Baker's cysts, one 9 years ago, my leg went black; and the other three and half years back. The last one left me with damaged nerves and the sole of my foot numb. I have never felt pain like it, the pain wouldn"t leave me alone for over a week. I get pins and needles, and throbbing. Some days it feels like I"m walking with a brick in my foot and some days like a sponge. I wouldn"t wish this on anyone. The consultant said there is nothing he can do for me.

Comment from: Sue, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I was diagnosed with a Baker's cyst in the emergency room. I am waiting for an appointment with an orthopedist which is several weeks away. I don't know if I can stand the pain that long. This is the most intensive pain I have ever experienced. When I walk, my knee pops and there is swelling from my knee to my ankle. My shoe is too tight so I wear slippers or socks. The constant pain is 24/7, so there is little sleep and I am pretty much confined to the home.

Comment from: eldon, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 28

It starts with a pain in the big cord that runs down side of the leg. Then the pain goes across the back of the knee as if someone is pulling a string, until you here like a crack as if the string breaks and then I get instant relief. Before that the calf of the leg swells and gets very tight.

Comment from: Jill Clancy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I took a walk and 2 hours later I had intense pain to my knee. I thought I had injured it somehow and I put ice on it. I realized the pain was actually in the back of my knee and after 2 weeks of constant pain, I went to the doctor. No swelling or lump noted but it was very painful walking, climbing, and descending stairs. I had an MRI after 2 weeks and they discovered a Baker's cyst, which had burst. I am very active and the only thing I can think of is that I may have had a small injury to my knee in the past that caused this.

Comment from: Lynn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I fell off a ladder and for about 4 years now I"m in pain every time I walk. So I ordered Osmo patch and now I can get around better I started using them. Earlier I would have to have my Baker's cyst drained every couple weeks, now I"m down to a patch a month. I sleep with one on, it works better if you do. It does smell after you take it off but it"s worth it. It is worth the money, I was worried about spending money on them but I"m glad I did. I ordered mine on line to save money.

Comment from: Sandy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 28

I'm in excellent shape but have had a variety of sports-related injuries over the years, the worst being a torn hamstring. I awoke one morning and felt as if I had a mass behind my left knee. It didn't go away and would sometimes seem to change position. It eventually got so bad that I could no longer even bend or fully straighten my leg. I was worried that it could be deep vein thrombosis (DVT). After imaging tests (MRI and ultrasound) it was determined that I had a slight tear in the meniscus that had created a Baker's cyst. I chose to have a cortisone injection and it helped a lot within 72 hours. That was 9 months ago and now I'm just fine.

Comment from: CherryBasket, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

My experience with the rupture of a Bakers cyst started when I was playing a round of golf. We walk 9 holes using push carts for our clubs. The pain was quite severe to the point of not being able to put my foot down, but could do a light toe touch. I used the cart to learn on to get to the club house from the 7th hole. I had an MRI and initially on oral cortisone until I could have an ultrasound guided cortisone and xylocaine injection into he joint. In addition, my calf was very painful and swollen, taking 3 weeks for the swelling to subside. I cannot fully extend my knee but am slowly returning to my usual exercise routines 5 days a week. I had done warm up exercises and stretching before playing. I feel it is slowly getting better. The cause of my cyst growing was attributed to chondromylasia of my kneecap, which I have in both knees and it is expected this may occur again.

Baker Cyst - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Baker cyst.
Baker Cyst - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your Baker's cyst?