Patient Comments: Baker Cyst - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your Baker cyst?

Comment from: Sandy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I am a 60 year old female. I am teacher of Special Education at a public school. Three weeks ago I got out of bed and when I stood up I had pain in the knee, like a small sprain. Over the next 2 weeks the pain became constant and localized on the outside of my left knee. The pain continued to get worse to the point that I could barely walk and bending it to sit on the toilet or get into a car caused a small scream from me. I am not a screamer but this was more intense than anything I had ever experienced. My pain varied from a 2 to an 8 on the pain scale. Doctor thought I might have a tear in the tendon on that side. An MRI showed a ruptured Baker's cyst and I have an appointment next week with an orthopedist. Ten days ago I felt like something popped in my knee. Not painful pop but like a balloon popped. Pain has been much worse, especially any bending of the joint. I have to use a cane to support when I walk. Everything I read about this cyst does not show my symptoms. The pain continues to be on the outside of the knee primarily, a small amount of pain running down the back of the calf but there is no swelling or bruising.

Comment from: Jenny, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

I am a 54 year old female, very fit and active. Approximately 1 year ago I was diagnosed with an atypical Baker's cyst behind a knee I had reconstructed 10 years ago. I had been doing a bit of running on holiday so the knee was slightly swollen but the calf pain concerned me that it might be a DVT (deep vein thrombosis). Anyway to cut a long story short I had the Baker's cyst drained; instant relief but it reappeared a week later. The biggest issue was that it was pressing on my tibial nerve so the pins and needles in my foot was so severe I couldn't put my heel down. After 3 aspirations my doctor gave me a cortisone injection into the knee and I had 6 months of bliss. Sadly 4 days ago I felt the same old tightening behind the knee and I am just hoping this doesn't get so big to cause pressure on the nerve again because that's the part that is too awful. The inevitability of surgery looms if this keeps reappearing but I haven't heard of too many people having this.

Comment from: Judydot, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

My leg very slowly became swollen and my general physician (GP) sent me to Accident and Emergency A and E) but they did not examine my leg and sent me home with antibiotics for something on my chest. A few days later my leg and foot became so swollen I could not bear to put my foot down and was in absolute agony. My GP sent me back to A and E and this time they certainly noticed my leg; it was a vivid shade of purple. They thought it was DVT (deep vein thrombosis) and admitted me to hospital. The following day another doctor scanned my leg and discovered it was a ruptured Baker's cyst. By this time I needed help getting out of bed and would scream if anyone touched my leg. I was in hospital 9 days and could eventually walk with the help of a wheeled walker which I still use. Although the funny purple color has gone and it is less swollen I am in as much agony as ever and it is 4 weeks now. I am wondering how long the pain will go on for. I go on my holidays in less than 3 weeks and wonder how I am going to manage.

Comment from: mel l, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 16

Upon standing, I find it difficult to put my weigh on the leg affected by Baker's cyst. When I do, this may be acutely painful for about 2 minutes. Also my balance is affected. I experience the most pain when sitting in a chair or in the car. Pain radiates from the knee, front and back, both upward on the leg and downward. Sitting or lying with legs straight out helps. Most heat from rice bag as well as frozen water bottles used on the area relieves pain.

Comment from: ELizabeth in VT, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I tore the right meniscus in November 2013 and at the same time the Baker cyst swelled up. I had the meniscus repaired in July 2014 and took physiotherapy for recovery but the Baker cyst flared up again. I have had two rounds of cyst draining and cortisone (4 months apart, on doctor's orders) but it continues to fill, makes standing up very difficult, and wakes me up at night. Pain goes down the back of my calf. A wrap-around (drug store) brace relieves the night pain, and wearing a large (expensive) off-loading brace keeps the knee from aggravating the cyst during the day. But I wear the big brace only when on my feet a lot, because it limits activity considerably. I am rather afraid to get a total knee replacement (TKR) because it may make the cyst worse.

Baker Cyst - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Baker cyst.
Baker Cyst - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your Baker's cyst?