Patient Comments: Baker Cyst - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your Baker cyst?

Comment from: Jenny, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

I am a 54 year old female, very fit and active. Approximately 1 year ago I was diagnosed with an atypical Baker's cyst behind a knee I had reconstructed 10 years ago. I had been doing a bit of running on holiday so the knee was slightly swollen but the calf pain concerned me that it might be a DVT (deep vein thrombosis). Anyway to cut a long story short I had the Baker's cyst drained; instant relief but it reappeared a week later. The biggest issue was that it was pressing on my tibial nerve so the pins and needles in my foot was so severe I couldn't put my heel down. After 3 aspirations my doctor gave me a cortisone injection into the knee and I had 6 months of bliss. Sadly 4 days ago I felt the same old tightening behind the knee and I am just hoping this doesn't get so big to cause pressure on the nerve again because that's the part that is too awful. The inevitability of surgery looms if this keeps reappearing but I haven't heard of too many people having this.

Comment from: Judydot, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

My leg very slowly became swollen and my general physician (GP) sent me to Accident and Emergency A and E) but they did not examine my leg and sent me home with antibiotics for something on my chest. A few days later my leg and foot became so swollen I could not bear to put my foot down and was in absolute agony. My GP sent me back to A and E and this time they certainly noticed my leg; it was a vivid shade of purple. They thought it was DVT (deep vein thrombosis) and admitted me to hospital. The following day another doctor scanned my leg and discovered it was a ruptured Baker's cyst. By this time I needed help getting out of bed and would scream if anyone touched my leg. I was in hospital 9 days and could eventually walk with the help of a wheeled walker which I still use. Although the funny purple color has gone and it is less swollen I am in as much agony as ever and it is 4 weeks now. I am wondering how long the pain will go on for. I go on my holidays in less than 3 weeks and wonder how I am going to manage.

Comment from: mel l, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 16

Upon standing, I find it difficult to put my weigh on the leg affected by Baker's cyst. When I do, this may be acutely painful for about 2 minutes. Also my balance is affected. I experience the most pain when sitting in a chair or in the car. Pain radiates from the knee, front and back, both upward on the leg and downward. Sitting or lying with legs straight out helps. Most heat from rice bag as well as frozen water bottles used on the area relieves pain.

Comment from: ELizabeth in VT, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I tore the right meniscus in November 2013 and at the same time the Baker cyst swelled up. I had the meniscus repaired in July 2014 and took physiotherapy for recovery but the Baker cyst flared up again. I have had two rounds of cyst draining and cortisone (4 months apart, on doctor's orders) but it continues to fill, makes standing up very difficult, and wakes me up at night. Pain goes down the back of my calf. A wrap-around (drug store) brace relieves the night pain, and wearing a large (expensive) off-loading brace keeps the knee from aggravating the cyst during the day. But I wear the big brace only when on my feet a lot, because it limits activity considerably. I am rather afraid to get a total knee replacement (TKR) because it may make the cyst worse.

Comment from: dee tee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I went to bed as normal, nothing bothering me. I woke up next morning with a very swollen left leg from above the knee to ankle. Later that day it encompassed my foot and toes too. I went to the emergency room to rule out a blood clot. They tried to remove fluid from my knee but only got blood from the punctures. I went to specialist who gave me an injection in the knee. I kept telling him my calf was extremely painful to the touch. I was just dragging my leg along with a walker. I had MRI done and they said there was a Baker's cyst on the left calf. Doctor has ordered recheck after one month. I have a very painful calf, and knee is locking up and making all sorts of clicking sounds. The doctor felt there is a possible tear in my knee which is causing it.

Comment from: Jenna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I was in the middle of a high impact aerobics class when all of a sudden there was a painful sensation in my left knee. After touching behind the knee, I felt a soft bump. It"s been about 7 months since that day. I"ve been resting it a lot especially in the last 3 months due to having foot surgery on that leg. Feeling better last week, I went back to my aerobics class and stuck to low impact only. Unfortunately, the Baker"s cyst returned in full force once again. It"s really more of a stiff sensation than all out pain, unless I try to work out on the leg extension machine. Then there is pain and very little strength in my leg.

Baker Cyst - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Baker cyst.
Baker Cyst - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your Baker's cyst?