Patient Comments: Baker Cyst - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your Baker cyst?

Comment from: ELizabeth in VT, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I tore the right meniscus in November 2013 and at the same time the Baker cyst swelled up. I had the meniscus repaired in July 2014 and took physiotherapy for recovery but the Baker cyst flared up again. I have had two rounds of cyst draining and cortisone (4 months apart, on doctor's orders) but it continues to fill, makes standing up very difficult, and wakes me up at night. Pain goes down the back of my calf. A wrap-around (drug store) brace relieves the night pain, and wearing a large (expensive) off-loading brace keeps the knee from aggravating the cyst during the day. But I wear the big brace only when on my feet a lot, because it limits activity considerably. I am rather afraid to get a total knee replacement (TKR) because it may make the cyst worse.

Comment from: dee tee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I went to bed as normal, nothing bothering me. I woke up next morning with a very swollen left leg from above the knee to ankle. Later that day it encompassed my foot and toes too. I went to the emergency room to rule out a blood clot. They tried to remove fluid from my knee but only got blood from the punctures. I went to specialist who gave me an injection in the knee. I kept telling him my calf was extremely painful to the touch. I was just dragging my leg along with a walker. I had MRI done and they said there was a Baker's cyst on the left calf. Doctor has ordered recheck after one month. I have a very painful calf, and knee is locking up and making all sorts of clicking sounds. The doctor felt there is a possible tear in my knee which is causing it.

Comment from: Jenna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I was in the middle of a high impact aerobics class when all of a sudden there was a painful sensation in my left knee. After touching behind the knee, I felt a soft bump. It"s been about 7 months since that day. I"ve been resting it a lot especially in the last 3 months due to having foot surgery on that leg. Feeling better last week, I went back to my aerobics class and stuck to low impact only. Unfortunately, the Baker"s cyst returned in full force once again. It"s really more of a stiff sensation than all out pain, unless I try to work out on the leg extension machine. Then there is pain and very little strength in my leg.

Comment from: sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I have had two ruptured Baker's cysts, one 9 years ago, my leg went black; and the other three and half years back. The last one left me with damaged nerves and the sole of my foot numb. I have never felt pain like it, the pain wouldn"t leave me alone for over a week. I get pins and needles, and throbbing. Some days it feels like I"m walking with a brick in my foot and some days like a sponge. I wouldn"t wish this on anyone. The consultant said there is nothing he can do for me.

Comment from: Sue, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I was diagnosed with a Baker's cyst in the emergency room. I am waiting for an appointment with an orthopedist which is several weeks away. I don't know if I can stand the pain that long. This is the most intensive pain I have ever experienced. When I walk, my knee pops and there is swelling from my knee to my ankle. My shoe is too tight so I wear slippers or socks. The constant pain is 24/7, so there is little sleep and I am pretty much confined to the home.

Comment from: eldon, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 28

It starts with a pain in the big cord that runs down side of the leg. Then the pain goes across the back of the knee as if someone is pulling a string, until you here like a crack as if the string breaks and then I get instant relief. Before that the calf of the leg swells and gets very tight.

Comment from: Jill Clancy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I took a walk and 2 hours later I had intense pain to my knee. I thought I had injured it somehow and I put ice on it. I realized the pain was actually in the back of my knee and after 2 weeks of constant pain, I went to the doctor. No swelling or lump noted but it was very painful walking, climbing, and descending stairs. I had an MRI after 2 weeks and they discovered a Baker's cyst, which had burst. I am very active and the only thing I can think of is that I may have had a small injury to my knee in the past that caused this.

Baker Cyst - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Baker cyst.
Baker Cyst - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your Baker's cyst?