Patient Comments: Baker Cyst - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your Baker cyst?

Comment from: CherryBasket, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

My experience with the rupture of a Bakers cyst started when I was playing a round of golf. We walk 9 holes using push carts for our clubs. The pain was quite severe to the point of not being able to put my foot down, but could do a light toe touch. I used the cart to learn on to get to the club house from the 7th hole. I had an MRI and initially on oral cortisone until I could have an ultrasound guided cortisone and xylocaine injection into he joint. In addition, my calf was very painful and swollen, taking 3 weeks for the swelling to subside. I cannot fully extend my knee but am slowly returning to my usual exercise routines 5 days a week. I had done warm up exercises and stretching before playing. I feel it is slowly getting better. The cause of my cyst growing was attributed to chondromylasia of my kneecap, which I have in both knees and it is expected this may occur again.

Comment from: susan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I had surgery for another problem. That night, the back of my knee looked as though there was a softball behind it. I immediately called my doctor, who wasn't at all concerned. The next day, I had an appointment with my oncologist, who did an ultrasound to rule out a blood clot. It was a Baker's cyst. Another doctor tried to drain it. However, later that evening, it felt like someone turned on a faucet behind my knee and now it is even bigger. My doctor says they do not cause pain, but he definitely has never had one. Some days it's hard to stand up. Now, I don't know where to turn.

Comment from: Elaine655, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I developed a very large bruise and lump on the back of my left knee after taking two flights over five hours. The area felt tight, hot, was painful at touch, and had a significant lump. I was concerned it might be a blood clot and went to a local hospital. An ultrasound revealed nothing. Upon returning home, I saw my doctor, who diagnosed a Baker's cyst rupture. An MRI confirmed the cyst along with minor bursitis.

Baker Cyst - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Baker cyst.
Baker Cyst - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your Baker's cyst?