Patient Comments: Baker Cyst - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Baker cyst.

Comment from: Jack48, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 04

In July of 2014 I was walking and felt like a charley horse in the back of my left thigh. The next day my whole leg was swollen and the pain was unreal. When I got up from sitting I could not walk right away, I had to hold on to something and put pressure on my leg before moving or I would fall. I also started to receive nerve pain in my thighs and knees. Now if I sit on a hard chair for any length of time my left leg from the knee down to my foot feels like a pin cushion. I recently had an MRI and was told I have a Baker's cyst. I still cannot sit in a hard chair. I have to take the pressure off the back of my left leg even when I am driving. I do feel like I have nerve damage.

Comment from: Erin, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I started having extreme pain in my left leg yesterday morning, more so than usual. I'd had surgery in January, a high tibial osteotomy. This pain was much different, and the symptoms seemed to be that of thrombosis. I let it go for one day, thinking that it would get better. This morning, the pain was still there, so I called my doctor and scheduled an appointment immediately. Upon arrival, he examined my leg, and concurred with my first idea that it might be thrombosis, and sent me to get an ultrasound. The ultrasound technician, after examining me, told me that I had a Baker's cyst that had ruptured. I had never even heard of this condition before today. I'm just glad it's not thrombosis, but the pain is very, very intense. My general physician is contacting my surgeon, so hopefully something can be done.

Comment from: Connie L., 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 28

On Sunday before Memorial Day this Baker's cyst hit me in right knee like a gunshot. The pain is unbearable. I fired my first doctor as he sent me to a useless pain clinic that did no good. I am seeing an older doctor who sent me on June 21st for an MRI. This Tuesday when he is in office I will know what he intends to do to stop this endless pain. I am afraid it will be surgery, and at 80 I really am afraid of that.

Comment from: Maybelle, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

I was just diagnosed with a Baker's cyst. I have been referred to an orthopedic surgeon for treatment and further help. I cannot stand the pain; same as described by others on this site. I'd rather be in labor. This appeared about 4 months ago, and pain has gotten worse in the last month. I started with Aleve a week ago. Now it doesn't even help anymore.

Comment from: Mina, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I am a 56 year old female that suffers from Baker's cysts in the back of my right knee. I have recently lost over 70 pounds to help with the osteoarthritis I also suffer from. The pain is extreme and hard to cope with at times. It starts in the back of knees and runs down the front of my shins and into my feet sometimes even my big toe is involved. When that happens the only relief I can get is when I ice the back of knee while elevating it and resting for periods of times during the day. I've also been prescribed Norco to take for the pain however, I have to take 2 at a time for it to do anything. Sitting for long periods of time, standing, and riding my bike irritate the cysts. I'm hoping I can have them drained soon and not feel so much pain in my knees and legs.

Comment from: colgate, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I'm 65 and had arthroscopic surgery 8 weeks ago for a meniscus tear and arthritic joint. My Baker's cyst was drained and injected with cortisone a week ago. My knee is still swollen from the surgery and my cyst doesn't seem any better from the cortisone. From reading this website, it seems that many people have the same problems but there's no fix. I would have thought that was a simple operation carried out a million times a day throughout the world, yet we have no solutions to fix!

Comment from: LaPaz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I'm 64 and very active. I have two knee replacements with the most recent 2 years ago (right) and the other 5 years ago (left). I was hospitalized in Mexico for 6 days diagnosed with thrombosis. My left calf was 1 inch larger than my right and very painful, including my knee. They took an ultrasound and said I had many clots in my calf. One day after I was cleared from the hospital I flew on a 2 hour flight and drove 3 hours, back to the USA. I was scared about the clot moving so I went to the emergency room to have my leg checked. No blood clots were found but I had a large Baker's cyst that was dissecting into my calf. Still very painful but behind my knee as the 6 days in the hospital brought down most of the swelling. They had me on blood thinners for thrombosis, so after a week I stopped using them. Now 3 weeks after the initial hospitalization my pain has pretty much gone. I think this happened from pushing too much weight on the leg press and not resting my knee long enough. I also had an incident with that knee popping with extreme pain, so yes, I overdid it. I have had problems with the Baker's cyst before due to my knee replacements and overdoing it. I still need to see my orthopedic surgeon to see if there is an underlying problem with the knee. I hope it was just overdoing it and rest is all I need.

Baker Cyst - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your Baker's cyst?
Baker Cyst - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your Baker cyst?