Patient Comments: Baker Cyst - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Baker cyst.

Comment from: Dave, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 21

I had severe pain in my legs. I saw a doctor who referred me to a hospital. I had ultrasound to discover I had 5 ruptured Baker's cysts! All this happened in one week. I am still trying to walk and exercise, it looks like slow recovery. The doctor said to have 5 was unique, especially as all had ruptured.

Comment from: pollymidwife, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

Following a holiday abroad, upon arriving home my right leg was aching and restless. The following morning I had symptoms of swelling in my calf, redness, and severe pain. After seeking help via general practitioner I had a scan which confirmed a Baker's cyst which had ruptured. It was very painful but I am glad a deep vein thrombosis (DVT) was ruled out. I now have to take it day by day to recover. I work shifts of 12 1/2 hours long, so understand the importance of resting, taking regular anti-inflammatory medicines and letting it heal. I will seek further medical advice if the symptoms worsen or continue. Not a condition to be ignored but urgent attention just in case it is a DVT.

Comment from: Sapirod, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I fell and overstretched my knee. I had immediate pain in the back of the calf. Doctor did x-ray, determined that I had a Baker's cyst, and then sent me to physical therapy with a knee brace. Four months later, I requested an MRI and they found that the cyst had ruptured and drained into my lower calf. The doctor then drained it but as it had been in the calf for so long, did not say that it would stop it. Four months of pain could have been avoided with the MRI and I had insurance to cover it. I was not happy.

Comment from: Hopeless, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I have had a Baker's cyst for 5 months. I have been dismissed by 2 surgeons and have gone to the hospital to get some help. I am finally going to see a surgeon and I am hoping that after all this he will agree to take them out. I have 2 that are tunneled together, and they have tried to drain, however it filled right back up. The pain is incredible. I am a cashier and I worked for months with the pain. I have seen so many doctors and specialists and nobody wants to help me. Not something I have asked for. I really just want some help, so I can go back to work.

Comment from: sick of knee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

Last year I suffered with a very swollen left knee and could barely walk. I had it drained and steroid injected and it was fine for a week. Since then I have had 3 more steroid shots but diagnosed with a form of arthritis. The knee keeps swelling which has caused a Baker's cyst. It burst once and was agonizing but a few months later its back. It is very debilitating as the front of the knee is also swollen so I can barely bend it. Even walking upstairs is an issue now and I am not yet 45.

Comment from: va1980, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I have had a Baker's cyst behind my right knee for almost 2 years. I had an MRI last May that showed no sign of what the cause of the cyst was. Now I have pain at night and found out the other day that it is bigger the last year.

Comment from: Shea, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

Last summer I noticed my left leg was tender with swollen soft tissue below my knee. I do have rheumatoid arthritis, anyway there was no pain until a month ago. Since then my leg stays swollen, and hurts a lot. I was just diagnosed with a Baker's cyst. I never saw or felt a lump at all just swelling and pain. I don't want to spend time with draining and shots I want the cyst out and the pain to stop.

Baker Cyst - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your Baker's cyst?
Baker Cyst - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your Baker cyst?