Patient Comments: Baker Cyst - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Baker cyst.

Comment from: Jady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I got my Baker's cyst drained. I had been house bound for years, in agony and told constantly there is nothing that can be done. At a recent doctor's appointment, I was in agony, sobbing and crying out in pain. I was offered the steroid injection but insisted he try to drain the cyst. Very reluctantly he asked the nurse to get a 50 ml syringe, and he very quickly asked for another syringe, then another. He stopped after draining 130 ml of fluid. Wow, I actually got off hospital bed unaided and walked without my crutches. It is early days, still a little sore, but slept without severe pain for the first time in years. Good luck.

Comment from: Dave, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 03

I had a bilateral knee replacement 18 months ago. Left knee now has a Baker's cyst that has been drained 2 time, first time 28 cc and second time 46 cc. It filled back up that same day and pain is right back.

Comment from: Dana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

Around 3 years ago, I developed a Baker's cyst the size of a quarter from stressing my knee too much on my recumbent bike. I had never heard of one before, and since then I was careful not to pedal with a lot of tension. One afternoon I was outside and I had a strong cramp like feeling from the back of my knee down into the calf. It was painful enough to get my attention. The next day I was standing in my kitchen when I had this sensation of something running down my leg. It was so real a feeling that I actually looked and felt my calf. I had read somewhere that when a Baker's cyst bursts, it gives the sensation of something running down the leg and it was from that I thought my cyst had burst. I noticed my knee was swollen too. I tried to palpate for it and couldn't find it, so the true test to know if it was gone was to ride my bike hard to see if it swelled up like it usually did. It did not, so I assume it burst. A week later, my calf is still sore right where I felt that feeling of something running down my calf.

Comment from: Jack48, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 04

In July of 2014 I was walking and felt like a charley horse in the back of my left thigh. The next day my whole leg was swollen and the pain was unreal. When I got up from sitting I could not walk right away, I had to hold on to something and put pressure on my leg before moving or I would fall. I also started to receive nerve pain in my thighs and knees. Now if I sit on a hard chair for any length of time my left leg from the knee down to my foot feels like a pin cushion. I recently had an MRI and was told I have a Baker's cyst. I still cannot sit in a hard chair. I have to take the pressure off the back of my left leg even when I am driving. I do feel like I have nerve damage.

Comment from: Erin, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I started having extreme pain in my left leg yesterday morning, more so than usual. I'd had surgery in January, a high tibial osteotomy. This pain was much different, and the symptoms seemed to be that of thrombosis. I let it go for one day, thinking that it would get better. This morning, the pain was still there, so I called my doctor and scheduled an appointment immediately. Upon arrival, he examined my leg, and concurred with my first idea that it might be thrombosis, and sent me to get an ultrasound. The ultrasound technician, after examining me, told me that I had a Baker's cyst that had ruptured. I had never even heard of this condition before today. I'm just glad it's not thrombosis, but the pain is very, very intense. My general physician is contacting my surgeon, so hopefully something can be done.

Comment from: Connie L., 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 28

On Sunday before Memorial Day this Baker's cyst hit me in right knee like a gunshot. The pain is unbearable. I fired my first doctor as he sent me to a useless pain clinic that did no good. I am seeing an older doctor who sent me on June 21st for an MRI. This Tuesday when he is in office I will know what he intends to do to stop this endless pain. I am afraid it will be surgery, and at 80 I really am afraid of that.

Baker Cyst - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your Baker's cyst?
Baker Cyst - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your Baker cyst?