Patient Comments: Baker Cyst - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Baker cyst.

Comment from: Jeff, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 21

I'm a 73 year old male, suddenly noticed my left leg calf slightly swollen, warm and aching. My general physician sent me to Accident and Emergency, they did blood tests and an ultra-scan and said the good news is it isn't deep vein thrombosis, it's a ruptured Baker's cyst. Never even knew I had one and strangely I have very little pain, just an occasional slight ache, though the leg and foot are swollen from the knee down. I don't understand why there's no pain as ruptured Baker's cysts usually very painful, and why I didn't notice the cyst, sometimes they form under the knee joint. I was told the fluid will get reabsorbed and swelling will subside, just give it time. Hm. If you've bad pain with yours demand the cyst is drained of remaining fluid and demand a cortisone injection so you can get on with your life. Good luck.

Comment from: Sam, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I recently just had my 2nd Baker's cyst rupture in my left leg. The first one was 10 months ago. The pain is excruciating and exhausting. I was bed ridden for 3 days where I couldn't move any part of my leg without screaming in pain. I was told to rest and take ibuprofen which did absolutely nothing for the pain. It has been a week and a half now and I am finally able to walk with slight cramping feelings in my leg. It still gets red and swollen when I stand on it and my left ankle is twice the size of my right one. Last time it took almost a month before I was back to normal. I just wanted to let people know about how it feels because the extreme pain and how scared I was thinking I had been misdiagnosed even after having an ultrasound/x-ray for possible blood clot. The doctors I have seen don't seem to know much about them, how painful they actually are, or what to do for them when they rupture, except rest and ibuprofen. There has to be something they can do to prevent them; people shouldn't have to deal with pain like this for something that seems so simple.

Comment from: mona, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I had a Baker's cyst drained. Two week later I got blood clots in my leg and they went to my lungs. They did the draining of the cyst because of the blood clots. I had two blood clots before, they were 20 and 30 years apart. I am not taking any blood thinners right now for the third blood clot.

Comment from: Dave, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 21

I had severe pain in my legs. I saw a doctor who referred me to a hospital. I had ultrasound to discover I had 5 ruptured Baker's cysts! All this happened in one week. I am still trying to walk and exercise, it looks like slow recovery. The doctor said to have 5 was unique, especially as all had ruptured.

Comment from: pollymidwife, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

Following a holiday abroad, upon arriving home my right leg was aching and restless. The following morning I had symptoms of swelling in my calf, redness, and severe pain. After seeking help via general practitioner I had a scan which confirmed a Baker's cyst which had ruptured. It was very painful but I am glad a deep vein thrombosis (DVT) was ruled out. I now have to take it day by day to recover. I work shifts of 12 1/2 hours long, so understand the importance of resting, taking regular anti-inflammatory medicines and letting it heal. I will seek further medical advice if the symptoms worsen or continue. Not a condition to be ignored but urgent attention just in case it is a DVT.

Comment from: Sapirod, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I fell and overstretched my knee. I had immediate pain in the back of the calf. Doctor did x-ray, determined that I had a Baker's cyst, and then sent me to physical therapy with a knee brace. Four months later, I requested an MRI and they found that the cyst had ruptured and drained into my lower calf. The doctor then drained it but as it had been in the calf for so long, did not say that it would stop it. Four months of pain could have been avoided with the MRI and I had insurance to cover it. I was not happy.

Baker Cyst - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your Baker's cyst?
Baker Cyst - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your Baker cyst?