Patient Comments: Baker Cyst - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Baker cyst.

Comment from: immobile, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I am a very active 45 year old female. A week ago, I was entertaining an out of town guest and I began to have extreme pain and swelling in my right lower leg. I took oxycodone I had on hand for back pain and then when she left, I went to urgent care. Long story short, in a week, I have seen several doctors and had several tests, all to learn I have a Baker"s cyst. The pain is unbearable and I can barely walk or drive. My cyst is 7 inches long, extending down the back of my calf. It is too close to major arteries to drain and surgery is not an option according to two orthopedic surgeons, so I get to wrap, elevate and suffer. Not fun. Please tell me it will go away soon!

Comment from: OmaB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I had an 8 cm Baker's cyst in my right knee that ruptured and oozed into my calf last December. It was by far the worst pain ever! I also had blood clots from the site and have been taking warfarin since. I had a total knee replacement (TKR) which would supposedly fix it in early March, but after recovering from it, I now feel like that cyst is back. Impossible? No fluid anymore? I don"t know, but that awful pain is back. Physiotherapy has been my salvation with the TKR and hopefully this will pass.

Comment from: Nancy, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 09

A week ago I was wakened in the early morning by a very painful "jolt" that felt like a bad leg cramp. I swallowed a lot of tonic with quinine that helped a little but the pain continued. The next morning, via wheelchair, we saw our internist who ordered an ultrasound to rule out blood clots because my leg was quite swollen. The results showed a Baker cyst with a possible cramp that was not the cause. I have tried to stay off my leg, but not entirely. Doctors said to keep alternate cool and warm presses on my calf and back of knee where it is most sensitive. Discoloration has occurred between ankle and calf areas and is still sensitive. I take some Tylenol and try to keep my leg up, sometimes toes above my nose. I don"t like to be restricted so my patience is wearing thin.

Comment from: ShirlG, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

Several years ago, unknowingly I had a Baker's cyst that burst while I was tending bar. I felt a huge painful pop, and not knowing what it was other than painful to walk on, I kept going; until my jeans got so tight around my knee. I couldn't take it anymore and sent my son for another larger legged pair. The pain continued all evening, until at closing time I had someone run me to the emergency room. By this time it was almost impossible to walk on, it hurt so badly. When the doctor looked at it and told me what it was I just looked at him and said "a what?" my mother who is a licensed practical nurse (LPN) had never even heard of one. The doctor put me on crutches for at least a week to see how it goes. Within 2 days, the fluid had spread throughout my entire leg. Up my thigh down to my toes, my entire leg was every color you could think of all at the same time. Very pretty and would have been cooler if it hadn't hurt so badly. I was on crutches for several weeks, and still had to take it easy on the leg after that. I would not wish this on anyone!

Comment from: kdwmanteo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I am an active 58 year old female, 5"2" 124 l., diagnosed with a torn meniscus in August 06; running injury. MRI revealed Baker"s cyst (golf ball size in the back of the knee) that burst a month after arthroscopic surgery for meniscus repair. Sonogram showed synovial fluid trailing down the leg; the most pain I ever experienced, next to childbirth. The Baker"s cyst immediately reformed and my doctor surgically removed it in Jan 07 with a horribly botched surgery. Baker"s cysts should not be surgically removed; I urge anyone considering this treatment not to do so. My knee remains in some degree of chronic pain and inflammation 24/7 but I have learned to live with it. I use elliptical regularly and participate in other gym training to mitigate pain.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I have been diagnosed with a Baker's cyst. Physiotherapy has failed so I have to go back to the general physician but it is the pains in the knee that are bad; they go down the back of the knee into the thigh and hip. My last physiotherapy told me I had a calf problem.

Baker Cyst - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your Baker's cyst?
Baker Cyst - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your Baker cyst?