Patient Comments: Baker Cyst - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Baker cyst.

Comment from: Grammy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I am 66 and do very little exercise outside of walking. About 3 months ago while walking out the door I had extreme pain in my back calf area that felt like someone had hit me with a baseball, and I could barely walk, with the calf feeling like it was stuck in major cramp mode. Within days my leg was extremely bruised in the calf area, down into my lower leg, and around the ankle, into the side of my foot, but the pain was much better, and I could get around again. My doctor said the bruising in the ankle and foot area was confirmation that I had a Baker's cyst that ruptured. I spent days elevating my leg and icing then moist heat as much as possible. For weeks my leg felt very heavy when walking. It is getting better, but I still have the swelling from my knee to ankle. This was the worst pain I have ever had and hope that it never happens again. Unfortunately, my doctor has said the cyst can return at any time, probably caused by arthritis, and it could rupture again. Not something to look forward to.

Comment from: Ofrakin, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

I had a partial knee replacement in Oct 12. Two weeks later I am walking casually and my leg starts to stiffen to the point that it won't bend and feels as if it has 1000 psi. AT the emergency room (ER) my right leg can't even be touched and 4 shots of Dilaudid doesn't help. I spend a week on my back and leg elevated, no explanation is given. Twenty months later, July 14, I get same problem and off to the orthopedist's office and 44 ml of blood is aspirated from my knee. More could have been removed. X-ray shows normal and lump behind knee same as original symptom of Baker's cyst. I need as much help as possible.

Comment from: Dennis, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 19

I thought I had a pulled muscle but when my leg got swollen and painful my nurse wife worried I might have a blood clot. I went to the emergency room as it was Sunday. They diagnosed a Baker's cyst that was beginning to resolve. I went to my primary doctor who confirmed that and said pain, etc., should subside over the week and my wife says swelling is down. I have limped and braved the pain which is only when I walk. My doctor prescribed an MRI/x-ray as he said a torn meniscus or arthritis often causes it. He sent me to an orthopedist who will review the results. I am thinking my treadmill use with 12% incline may have caused this as someone told me their therapist said using a high incline can irritate the knee. I feel lucky so far after reading some of the accounts written on this site.

Comment from: GrannyC, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

A week ago I had sudden severe pain in my left calf that felt like someone had hit me very hard with a baseball. I could barely walk after that, and did see my physician that day. It felt like I had a severe cramp in my calf, which is what was diagnosed, and I was given Flexeril to try to relax the cramping. A few days later, still having difficulty walking, I noticed that my calf was swelling, and appeared to have bruising, with bruising going down my leg, around my ankle, and into the top inside portion of my foot. I then had a duplex ultrasound, checking for blood clots, which was normal. The bruising/swelling continued to get worse although I was at least walking a little better. My calf was very tender to touch and I started to have a popping feeling behind my left knee, with a sensitive spot on the left back side of the knee. Back to the doctor again yesterday and was finally diagnosed with a popliteal cyst, otherwise known as a Baker cyst, that had burst and the fluid from that cyst is what had caused the severe pain in my calf and the bruising down into my ankle/foot. I have had 4 children, left knee surgery, and a hysterectomy, and never have I had pain like I have had with this burst cyst. The doctor says it will heal over time, but that it will take some time.

Comment from: immobile, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I am a very active 45 year old female. A week ago, I was entertaining an out of town guest and I began to have extreme pain and swelling in my right lower leg. I took oxycodone I had on hand for back pain and then when she left, I went to urgent care. Long story short, in a week, I have seen several doctors and had several tests, all to learn I have a Baker"s cyst. The pain is unbearable and I can barely walk or drive. My cyst is 7 inches long, extending down the back of my calf. It is too close to major arteries to drain and surgery is not an option according to two orthopedic surgeons, so I get to wrap, elevate and suffer. Not fun. Please tell me it will go away soon!

Comment from: OmaB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I had an 8 cm Baker's cyst in my right knee that ruptured and oozed into my calf last December. It was by far the worst pain ever! I also had blood clots from the site and have been taking warfarin since. I had a total knee replacement (TKR) which would supposedly fix it in early March, but after recovering from it, I now feel like that cyst is back. Impossible? No fluid anymore? I don"t know, but that awful pain is back. Physiotherapy has been my salvation with the TKR and hopefully this will pass.

Baker Cyst - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your Baker's cyst?
Baker Cyst - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your Baker cyst?