Patient Comments: Baker Cyst - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Baker cyst.

Comment from: Nancy, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 09

A week ago I was wakened in the early morning by a very painful "jolt" that felt like a bad leg cramp. I swallowed a lot of tonic with quinine that helped a little but the pain continued. The next morning, via wheelchair, we saw our internist who ordered an ultrasound to rule out blood clots because my leg was quite swollen. The results showed a Baker cyst with a possible cramp that was not the cause. I have tried to stay off my leg, but not entirely. Doctors said to keep alternate cool and warm presses on my calf and back of knee where it is most sensitive. Discoloration has occurred between ankle and calf areas and is still sensitive. I take some Tylenol and try to keep my leg up, sometimes toes above my nose. I don"t like to be restricted so my patience is wearing thin.

Comment from: ShirlG, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

Several years ago, unknowingly I had a Baker's cyst that burst while I was tending bar. I felt a huge painful pop, and not knowing what it was other than painful to walk on, I kept going; until my jeans got so tight around my knee. I couldn't take it anymore and sent my son for another larger legged pair. The pain continued all evening, until at closing time I had someone run me to the emergency room. By this time it was almost impossible to walk on, it hurt so badly. When the doctor looked at it and told me what it was I just looked at him and said "a what?" my mother who is a licensed practical nurse (LPN) had never even heard of one. The doctor put me on crutches for at least a week to see how it goes. Within 2 days, the fluid had spread throughout my entire leg. Up my thigh down to my toes, my entire leg was every color you could think of all at the same time. Very pretty and would have been cooler if it hadn't hurt so badly. I was on crutches for several weeks, and still had to take it easy on the leg after that. I would not wish this on anyone!

Comment from: kdwmanteo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I am an active 58 year old female, 5"2" 124 l., diagnosed with a torn meniscus in August 06; running injury. MRI revealed Baker"s cyst (golf ball size in the back of the knee) that burst a month after arthroscopic surgery for meniscus repair. Sonogram showed synovial fluid trailing down the leg; the most pain I ever experienced, next to childbirth. The Baker"s cyst immediately reformed and my doctor surgically removed it in Jan 07 with a horribly botched surgery. Baker"s cysts should not be surgically removed; I urge anyone considering this treatment not to do so. My knee remains in some degree of chronic pain and inflammation 24/7 but I have learned to live with it. I use elliptical regularly and participate in other gym training to mitigate pain.

Comment from: SOLDIER-T2489, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I was in basic training running, and no injury took place. When I got a sharp pain in my knee I just thought it was because I wasn"t a long distance runner, since I wrestled and played basketball in high school. The next day I couldn"t get out of my bunk. I was told that I had a stress fracture. Then a year later the pain just got worse, so I got an MRI. There was no stress fracture but I was told I had a Baker's cyst. Then another six months went with therapy but no improvement; it actually got worse. Last month I started getting shock therapy on my quadriceps because I"ve been dealing with the pain for so long it became extremely weak. As my therapist put it "your quadriceps are as weak as a baby"s the first time it learns to walk". I can barely squat or walk even 100 m without having to stop. Another MRI was done this month and the cyst is nowhere to be found but the pain has gotten so much worse it has moved to my ankle with a loud clicking when I strike a surface and all the way up to my hip. The pain is bad, I have a burning feeling also in the pelvic area on that side. I don"t know what else to do, I need advice because the doctors I deal with are not helping.

Comment from: gsr60, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I had a total left knee replacement 5 years ago. I have had soreness and stiffness with the changes of weather conditions since the surgery. In the past couple months I have noticed swelling on the back of my left knee. My Doc told me it was a Baker's cyst, fluid buildup much like bursitis. I am concerned about the excess pressure on my knee replacement.

Comment from: Pbeamish47, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

About 6 months ago I had a lot of knee pain, I finally went to the doctors, and they did x-rays and found nothing. About 2 months ago I started having swelling in my calf and ankle, I was told to go to the emergency room because my symptoms also could be a clot. Well, they did an ultra sound and told me it was a Baker's cyst. I guess it has burst as my swelling is also in my foot. I am active but this has really slowed me down as the longer I am on my feet the more the leg and foot swell. I'm not sure what to do and I am concerned.

Baker Cyst - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your Baker's cyst?
Baker Cyst - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your Baker cyst?