Patient Comments: Baker Cyst - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Baker cyst.

Published: July 08

I am nine weeks post ACL reconstruction. The surgery went great, and I am in rehab. The problem I am having is increased pain and pressure in the back of my knee from a large Baker's cyst seen on my MRI. I try to ignore it, but when I am at rehab, I have so much discomfort that I stop doing the exercises that I am suppose to do. I have addressed this issue with my doctor, but he will only aspirate the cyst not remove it. It interferes with my activities of daily living. When my doctor does aspirate it, I have no pain with extending or flexing, and I do get relief, even if it's only for a short while. The cyst is getting bigger, and now I am having pain in my calf muscle.

Published: July 02

I'm a 39-year-old active woman and when my right foot and toes started swelling up, I thought I had unknowingly broken a toe. The swollen foot did not hurt, but was aching almost like a sore muscle from exercising after a long day. The only injury I had on my right side was a broken tibia/shinbone at age 10. My doctor suspected a thrombosis and sent me to have an ultrasound where they discovered a Baker cyst of 3 centimeters in size. I have no problems; I just can't cross my legs when sitting down as that feels very uncomfortable. I still go running at least three times a week.

Published: July 01

Diagnosed with a Baker's cyst beginning around age 35. Now 55, with no associated pain, just a soft movable mass at the back of the knee. My orthopedist told me at age 25, after cracking the inside surface of my kneecap, that I'd get arthritis in that knee someday. I'm about to take a 2 week backpacking trip, so I think I'll bring ibuprofen in case inflammation occurs under the unaccustomed weight.

Published: July 01

I'm 51 y/o fairly active male and was just diagnosed with a Bakers cyst. Thinking back, I suppose it was there for quite a while because my left leg/knee would always get "stiff" after extended physical activities, but 3 weeks ago it really got my attention. The pain I experience is exactly as described on these pages, painful when bending the knee after being fully extended, painful after being partially bent. Now, I'm limping all the time and always in pain. This has affected the quality of my life! Sex can be difficult, as well as, simple tasks like cutting the lawn. Forget about kneeling down to weed the veggie garden!

Published: June 26

I am a healthy, active 65-year-old female who, up until four weeks ago, played tennis three to five times a week and hiked twice a week. I was diagnosed with a Baker's cyst of unknown origin. My family doctor ordered Aleve 9 a day for 10 days and to rest my knee. I have taken a couple of three mile walks as my knee felt better after taking Aleve. The next day after walking, I experienced pain in the back of my knee again upon walking up and down stairs. I have an appointment with an orthopedist for an MRI to further the diagnosis. I am eager for healing since tennis is a big part of my life.

Published: June 26

I was diagnoses with a baker cyst two days after I ordered my new mountain bike frame. It hurts at times, and I take Tylenol. I wear shorts because I work in a bike shop, and that is what people wear. I asked a couple of people if it looked bad and they said they didn't notice until I pointed it out. I have no plans, I am ignoring the pain and advice to go back to see the doctor until the summer is over.

Published: June 19

I'm an active 51 yr old male who participates year round in coed volleyball leagues; only leg issues I'd ever had was a torn calf muscle in the right leg a few years ago; about 3 mos ago I "tweaked" the left leg and thought it was a pulled hamstring; the tenderness moved down thru the back of my knee to the top part of the calf muscle in a matter of a couple days; I've not been able to squat on my toes since it happened; tried it one day and heard a loud pop behind the knee; it got well enough that I returned to playing and then tweaked it again this week; saw a friend who's a rehab specialist and he diagnosed a Baker's cyst and possibly a torn meniscus; he said typically they don't do surgery unless it reaches a point that it affects my lifestyle; it's starting to feel like bone on bone pressure and tender behind the knee; my leg swelled considerably the first few days of the injury.

Baker Cyst - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your Baker's cyst?
Baker Cyst - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your Baker cyst?