Patient Comments: Baker Cyst - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Baker cyst.

Published: June 19

I am a 26 year old male. I noticed a small lump behind my left knee about 10 months ago. Over the months it came and went and just recently got rather large then disappeared. My lower leg started to swell and get very painful around the calf muscle region. The swelling is quite prominent and slowly travelled down my leg into my foot. The ultrasound resulted in a large baker cyst beginning behind my knee proceeding 7cm down between the calf muscles. I am going back to my GP today as it is not subsiding at all.

Published: June 18

I have a Bakers cyst that ruptured. It was excruciating pain and I had to go on crutches for a couple weeks as I could not put any weight on that leg. That was a year and a half ago and now it has come back. When I sit and then stand up I cannot put weight on that leg until the cyst shifts.

Published: June 18

I have Baker cyst behind both knees. One is larger than the other but they both came up at the same time. They are barely visible when I'm seated and legs are bent. When I stand they are very visible. So much that I have stopped wearing shorts. The swollen area is hard and looks like a bump when I'm standing. I have no pain with it, only tightness. I have arthritis and take medication for pain but the pain is not in the knee joints, only the hip, back and shoulder. The doctors have advised that I do nothing about the Baker cyst at this time but it still concerns me.

Published: June 13

I recently had a small squamous cell cancer removed from the back of my leg, about an inch to the left of center. While healing, the back of my knee swelled a bit and has the characteristics described of a Bakers cyst. Once the stitches were removed from the removal site, this swelling has gone down. Was this a Bakers cyst? Does a Bakers cyst get activated by wounds? Is it possible I had an allergic reaction to the sutures? Or is this all just coincidental? I am an active 64 year woman in good shape and do weight training and Pilates and walk a lot.

Published: June 11

A bursting Baker's cyst feels like a sudden and intense stabbing pain from a bulging at the back of the knee. My calf and ankle became swollen within minutes. Most of the pain subsided but my lower leg remained uncomfortable from the swelling. My knee felt as though it might lock, or give out for several days following. It felt as though the bones were grinding. I am wearing a stocking until the swelling subsides and taking Aleve twice a day routinely for a week or so. It is slowly improving every day.

Published: June 11

It is such a nuisance, that's what it is. I am in so much pain; it's so uncomfortable. I have the cyst behind my knee, and every time I walk a little bit I get throbbing pain and can't move for a few seconds.

Published: June 10

It first started out as stiffness in my right knee. One week later I felt a pop behind my knee in the popliteal area. That was 4 weeks ago. My leg is swollen down to my foot, aches, and hurts above my kneecap. I thought it would get better but my ER Doc has told me to see an Ortho. I work in the ER so my legs are really hurting.

Published: June 09

I injured my knee a year ago last March training for the Breast Cancer Walk.I had an MRI from my G.P. I was told at that time I had a Baker's Cyst but it wouldn't cause me a problem and there was no obvious injury. He sent me on to an Ortopedist to have it further evaluated and told that I have arthritis in my knee. I was given 3 Cortizone injections over the last year, I take nasad's and have iced I injured my knee a year ago last March training for the Breast Cancer Walk. I had an MRI from my G.P. I was told at that time I had a Bakers Cyst but it wouldn't cause me a problem and there was no obvious injury. He sent me on to an Orthopedist to have it further evaluated and told that I have arthritis in my knee. I was given 3 Cortizone injections over the last year; I take nasad's and have iced it. 4 months ago I was having terrible pain and the Orthopedist told me I'd need a knee replacement. I told him I wouldn't without an MRI to see what's going on. My Bakers Cyst had grown and 60cc's of fluid were removed at that time and I was given another Cortizone injection. Last week when the pain was increasing I again had 30cc's if Synovial fluid drained without Cortizone. In less than a week the fluid is building and the pain is increasing. It seems that a knee replacement at this time is jumping the gun. I asked about tying off the cyst and removing it and the doc said that wouldn't help. I am an active 67 year old who backpack's ( or did until last year), swims almost daily and completed the Breast Cancer Walk last July.

Baker Cyst - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your Baker's cyst?
Baker Cyst - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your Baker cyst?