Patient Comments: Baker Cyst - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Baker cyst.

Comment from: David, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

My knee problem probably started many years ago and is now just starting to affect my mobility. I had a walnut sized thing in the back of my knee that was probably a Baker's cyst. No sleep, pain while standing or walking and a limp favoring the leg were symptoms. I was frustrated enough and started to massage the area vigorously and low and behold the lump disappeared and even though the knee was tender the pain was disappearing. After a week no pain and I'm getting around just fine.

Comment from: Leanne37, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I have just been diagnosed with a Baker's cyst that protrudes on the side of my knee, NOT behind. It is approximately 2.5cm x 4.2cm. I am an ex racehorse rider and can only assume the trauma from an extensive break to the opposite knee has caused this problem.

Comment from: pam, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I have a bakers cyst that ruptured and crystallized. Pain, swelling. I am extremely active up to 90 mins at gym most days. This is causing problems. I cannot bend knee.

Comment from: Tierney rasheed, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I had a baker cyst removed from my right leg when I was ten years old, 60 yrs ago. Nine yrs ago I was diagnosed with a baker cyst in my left leg, which I still have. It bothers me some times. I now think I may have one in my right knee again. Hard to tell due to the terrible scar I have from the surgery. No idea what causes them except I was told by a doctor that some people have a certain amount of inflammation in their bodies at all times and no one knows what triggers it. This would explain bursitis and pleurisy attacks over the years.

Comment from: Baroughy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 05

Knee swelling, lots of pain, can't bend down. I got an MRI and it showed a baker cyst in the back of my knee. It is large in size and a small cyst in the front of my knee and moderate arthritis, no tear in meniscus. I got a cortisone shot. It did nothing and my knee is killing me. I don't know what I should do next, these things are very painful, I don't care what they say.

Published: July 08

I am a 42-year-old woman, who is about 60 to 80 pounds overweight. I had a blood clot on my left leg and after two hospital stays, six months of Coumadin and continuous heat packs and more than 30 minutes of daily walking, it finally went away. Unfortunately, I developed a Baker's cyst on the inside right leg behind the knee. I know this was from walking more than 30 minutes per day after pretty much never exercising. The blood clot leg is great, but I am almost crippled now w/the right leg cyst. I literally can't walk sometimes. I have no health insurance and can't see a doctor now. My vascular doctor said it is not from walking, but we ruled out that it can't be from anything else such as: previously rigorous exercise, hiking, biking, laying down rug or flooring, etc...So much for exercise! Now I can't do anything. I do make it into the pool but I still have pain.

Published: July 08

I am a 60-year-old woman who is fairly active. I have neuropathy. A few weeks ago, my daughters noted that my left leg from the knee down to the foot was swollen. No pain, but it was obviously swollen. I went to the ER (it was late and I was out of state). They treated me for phlebitis because they were unable to do an ultrasound that night. The next day, I had the ultrasound and was diagnosed with a Baker's cyst. I haven't done anything because of the combination of knee surgery a few years back and neuropathy, pain was already there. My only problem is when I sit for a while and stand, I have acute pain in my ankle and foot.

Published: July 08

A few weeks ago, I sprained my left knee pretty bad mowing a hilly lawn. The next day my knee started hurting, but there was no noticeable swelling. I thought it was a pulled muscle that would go away on its own, so I didn't go to a doctor. I limped around for two weeks with somewhat bearable pain, with it sometimes going down my calf and ankle. I thought maybe my shoes were wearing out and that put me out of alignment and caused the additional leg pain. I changed shoes but it didn't help. Then two days ago, I was walking across the parking lot at work when I almost fell to the ground because the sharp pain in that knee was so bad. It was as if someone took a dagger and stabbed the back of my knee. I had to be helped back into work and couldn't stand on that leg at all. I was taken to the doctor and she told me I had a Baker's cyst. I had never heard of a Baker's cyst. For the time being, she told me to keep it elevated and warm and use ibuprofin for the pain. I'm scheduled to see a physical therapist next week to evaluate my knee. Then they'll determine what the next best step will be. I'm using crutches now. I can't put any weight on that leg at all. My doctor told me the cyst may go down on its own. It's really not noticeable at all at this point.

Baker Cyst - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your Baker's cyst?
Baker Cyst - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your Baker cyst?