Patient Comments: Baker Cyst - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Baker cyst.

Comment from: Aged Parent, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

My Baker's cyst was first diagnosed 30 years ago. Five arthroscopies later I have just had a half knee replacement. Incredible pain in the calf next day, and it was swollen and red. I was scanned for DVT (deep vein thrombosis) but today they identified a ruptured Baker's Cyst that had drained into the calf. I had treated it with heat (a wheat bag), elevation, massage (gentle at first), ankle pumps and leg lifts and by rubbing in Voltarol with Diclofenac. My calf size reduced by 5 cm in a week, and pain is now almost gone.

Comment from: Peter, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I had a Baker's cyst behind my right knee, and it burst causing synovial fluid to empty into my lower leg. My leg swelled up to the point that you could not see my ankle. I went to the hospital and told the doctor what I thought had happened and they gave me a scan for blood clots. No blood clots, and told to go home and rest, I rested for 4 days and swelling went down. Synovial fluid is still leaking in to my lower leg and yes, I have severe pain. I am waiting for a knee replacement at present, as it is hard to walk.

Comment from: rjmartintx, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 04

For about a month, my knee felt 'tight'. Then a sharp pain began for a couple of weeks when I walked. I decided I just needed more exercise so hit the treadmill hard. Bad idea. Big-time pain started in the back of the leg below the knee, followed by swelling all the way through the ankle. Then four days later, the deep bruising showed up all along the side of the affected foot. Classic rupture signs of Baker's cyst. Doctors told me to take NSAIDs. It is still swollen after two weeks. Hope this subsides soon!

Comment from: Flyguy747, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 02

I am a 50 year old who has had 2 meniscus tears in 25 years. After the second orthoscopic surgery I had much more pain than before. After 6 months I learned I have a Baker's cyst but not in the usual spot behind the knee. It is on the medial side on my knee (inside). After two doctors' opinions, both said to just leave it and not drain it, and not operate on it but just give it time, and it may go away in time. After a year it just either popped or just went away. Other than going for a few long power walks there is no other change in life style. So perhaps the walks helped in some way. Either way it is gone for now 2 months.

Comment from: jojo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I am 58, female, had a knee injury which became a Baker's cyst. It popped one night at work and was the most painful event since child birth. The leg was not able to support any weight. I went to my doctor who neither looked at the knee nor ordered any tests. I was given lots of pain medications and sent home. I was sent for physical therapy and was given exercises that did nothing. I developed another cyst that popped and more pain. The reason the doctors won't order tests is because I had no bruising and minimal swelling. So if this is twice, why can't I know what exactly this is! They tell me it's a Baker's cyst, but in the same breath tell me I don't have all the symptoms. So I've to find out what it is because I need my legs to do my job and it is painful and my movement is decreased.

Comment from: foolish old bag, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I am a 67 year old female, retired nurse. I had an arthroscopic surgery for a torn meniscus and seemed to be progressing very well except that I could not fully extend my leg and had leg pain associated with activity. Prior to surgery I did not have ultrasound or an MRI. Eight weeks after my surgery I began to have a catch or Charlie hose behind my knee. We were 60 miles from home (and as the pain was so severe I rated it as a 9 on a scale of 1-10). I thought I had a blood clot. To my surprise I had two very large Baker's cysts. My leg turned every shade of blue and red. I could barely walk and needed a cane for assistance. Doctors suggest total knee replacement. My thoughts are twofold; I should have requested an ultrasound from the start and I would have avoided this unfortunate pain and at this point I would prefer to have the cyst drained and arthroscopically removed before a knee replacement. I think a second opinion is in order.

Comment from: Rosiem, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I am 55 years old and have 7 revisions of my right knee. A couple weeks ago I was walking and then I was in so much pain I could not walk, went to my surgeon and he stated I had a Baker cyst. Pain was getting so bad I went to my surgeon. He tried to aspirate it there was nothing to aspirate, it is just hard and solid. It is getting to be worse than before.

Baker Cyst - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your Baker's cyst?
Baker Cyst - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your Baker cyst?