Patient Comments: Baker Cyst - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Baker cyst.

Comment from: Flyguy747, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 02

I am a 50 year old who has had 2 meniscus tears in 25 years. After the second orthoscopic surgery I had much more pain than before. After 6 months I learned I have a Baker's cyst but not in the usual spot behind the knee. It is on the medial side on my knee (inside). After two doctors' opinions, both said to just leave it and not drain it, and not operate on it but just give it time, and it may go away in time. After a year it just either popped or just went away. Other than going for a few long power walks there is no other change in life style. So perhaps the walks helped in some way. Either way it is gone for now 2 months.

Comment from: jojo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I am 58, female, had a knee injury which became a Baker's cyst. It popped one night at work and was the most painful event since child birth. The leg was not able to support any weight. I went to my doctor who neither looked at the knee nor ordered any tests. I was given lots of pain medications and sent home. I was sent for physical therapy and was given exercises that did nothing. I developed another cyst that popped and more pain. The reason the doctors won't order tests is because I had no bruising and minimal swelling. So if this is twice, why can't I know what exactly this is! They tell me it's a Baker's cyst, but in the same breath tell me I don't have all the symptoms. So I've to find out what it is because I need my legs to do my job and it is painful and my movement is decreased.

Comment from: foolish old bag, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I am a 67 year old female, retired nurse. I had an arthroscopic surgery for a torn meniscus and seemed to be progressing very well except that I could not fully extend my leg and had leg pain associated with activity. Prior to surgery I did not have ultrasound or an MRI. Eight weeks after my surgery I began to have a catch or Charlie hose behind my knee. We were 60 miles from home (and as the pain was so severe I rated it as a 9 on a scale of 1-10). I thought I had a blood clot. To my surprise I had two very large Baker's cysts. My leg turned every shade of blue and red. I could barely walk and needed a cane for assistance. Doctors suggest total knee replacement. My thoughts are twofold; I should have requested an ultrasound from the start and I would have avoided this unfortunate pain and at this point I would prefer to have the cyst drained and arthroscopically removed before a knee replacement. I think a second opinion is in order.

Comment from: Rosiem, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I am 55 years old and have 7 revisions of my right knee. A couple weeks ago I was walking and then I was in so much pain I could not walk, went to my surgeon and he stated I had a Baker cyst. Pain was getting so bad I went to my surgeon. He tried to aspirate it there was nothing to aspirate, it is just hard and solid. It is getting to be worse than before.

Comment from: Grammy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I am 66 and do very little exercise outside of walking. About 3 months ago while walking out the door I had extreme pain in my back calf area that felt like someone had hit me with a baseball, and I could barely walk, with the calf feeling like it was stuck in major cramp mode. Within days my leg was extremely bruised in the calf area, down into my lower leg, and around the ankle, into the side of my foot, but the pain was much better, and I could get around again. My doctor said the bruising in the ankle and foot area was confirmation that I had a Baker's cyst that ruptured. I spent days elevating my leg and icing then moist heat as much as possible. For weeks my leg felt very heavy when walking. It is getting better, but I still have the swelling from my knee to ankle. This was the worst pain I have ever had and hope that it never happens again. Unfortunately, my doctor has said the cyst can return at any time, probably caused by arthritis, and it could rupture again. Not something to look forward to.

Comment from: Ofrakin, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

I had a partial knee replacement in Oct 12. Two weeks later I am walking casually and my leg starts to stiffen to the point that it won't bend and feels as if it has 1000 psi. AT the emergency room (ER) my right leg can't even be touched and 4 shots of Dilaudid doesn't help. I spend a week on my back and leg elevated, no explanation is given. Twenty months later, July 14, I get same problem and off to the orthopedist's office and 44 ml of blood is aspirated from my knee. More could have been removed. X-ray shows normal and lump behind knee same as original symptom of Baker's cyst. I need as much help as possible.

Baker Cyst - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your Baker's cyst?
Baker Cyst - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your Baker cyst?