Patient Comments: Baker Cyst - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Baker cyst.

Comment from: SOLDIER-T2489, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I was in basic training running, and no injury took place. When I got a sharp pain in my knee I just thought it was because I wasn"t a long distance runner, since I wrestled and played basketball in high school. The next day I couldn"t get out of my bunk. I was told that I had a stress fracture. Then a year later the pain just got worse, so I got an MRI. There was no stress fracture but I was told I had a Baker's cyst. Then another six months went with therapy but no improvement; it actually got worse. Last month I started getting shock therapy on my quadriceps because I"ve been dealing with the pain for so long it became extremely weak. As my therapist put it "your quadriceps are as weak as a baby"s the first time it learns to walk". I can barely squat or walk even 100 m without having to stop. Another MRI was done this month and the cyst is nowhere to be found but the pain has gotten so much worse it has moved to my ankle with a loud clicking when I strike a surface and all the way up to my hip. The pain is bad, I have a burning feeling also in the pelvic area on that side. I don"t know what else to do, I need advice because the doctors I deal with are not helping.

Comment from: gsr60, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I had a total left knee replacement 5 years ago. I have had soreness and stiffness with the changes of weather conditions since the surgery. In the past couple months I have noticed swelling on the back of my left knee. My Doc told me it was a Baker's cyst, fluid buildup much like bursitis. I am concerned about the excess pressure on my knee replacement.

Comment from: Pbeamish47, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

About 6 months ago I had a lot of knee pain, I finally went to the doctors, and they did x-rays and found nothing. About 2 months ago I started having swelling in my calf and ankle, I was told to go to the emergency room because my symptoms also could be a clot. Well, they did an ultra sound and told me it was a Baker's cyst. I guess it has burst as my swelling is also in my foot. I am active but this has really slowed me down as the longer I am on my feet the more the leg and foot swell. I'm not sure what to do and I am concerned.

Comment from: Tony, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

I am a very active 48. I was playing volleyball in the gym and while diving for a ball, I hit the front of my knee. I limped around for a few days and then my knee exploded with pain. It got very swollen, swelling all the way down to my ankle. My knee so swollen that I couldn't bend it. I went to emergency room and got an MRI. It showed that I had a large Baker Cyst that had ruptured. I can't describe how intense the pain was. Ultrasound ruled out any clots. Thirteen days into this, heat and Aspirin (325mg day) have helped. I am going to the orthopedic doctor on Monday; no more diving for volleyballs!

Comment from: bert, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

My doctor said I had a Baker cyst behind my right knee. It is extremely painful at the point of the cyst. Also my calf is swollen and tight all the way down to the ankle. I cannot straighten or bend my knee without great pain. My doctor prescribed Voltaren gel to be applied to the knee twice daily. It is an anti-inflammatory gel that is supposed to be delivered directly to the spot. I have been using it for three days now and it has had no effect at all. I have some pain pill medication prescribed for another problem, but it does nothing to ease the severe pain I am having in my knee. I am going back to my doctor in a few days if I get no relief and ask him to determine the cause of the cyst. Treating the symptom is not working. I am in more pain than I care to tolerate twenty-four hours a day, with the swelling increasing in the calf all the way down to the ankle. I am normally very active and not being to walk without a cane is not my idea of a life - not to mention the pain that nothing seems to address. I am amazed that it can hurt so bad.

Comment from: Nurse84, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had a medial meniscal tear, which was treated with conservative therapy and later arthroscopic surgery. I later developed a Baker cyst, which was managed with injections, medications, aspirations and then surgery. It has since recurred and is approximately 8 cm long and very painful. I cannot bend my knee past 90 degrees and it keeps me awake at night. The worst is when a popping in the back of my knee wakes me up. On the preferred pain scale it is an 8. I am told that a total knee replacement is the only treatment that will alleviate the problems caused by a Baker cyst but I am too young to consider this.

Baker Cyst - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your Baker's cyst?
Baker Cyst - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your Baker cyst?