Patient Comments: Baker Cyst - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Baker cyst.

Comment from: Maybelle, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

I was just diagnosed with a Baker's cyst. I have been referred to an orthopedic surgeon for treatment and further help. I cannot stand the pain; same as described by others on this site. I'd rather be in labor. This appeared about 4 months ago, and pain has gotten worse in the last month. I started with Aleve a week ago. Now it doesn't even help anymore.

Comment from: Mina, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I am a 56 year old female that suffers from Baker's cysts in the back of my right knee. I have recently lost over 70 pounds to help with the osteoarthritis I also suffer from. The pain is extreme and hard to cope with at times. It starts in the back of knees and runs down the front of my shins and into my feet sometimes even my big toe is involved. When that happens the only relief I can get is when I ice the back of knee while elevating it and resting for periods of times during the day. I've also been prescribed Norco to take for the pain however, I have to take 2 at a time for it to do anything. Sitting for long periods of time, standing, and riding my bike irritate the cysts. I'm hoping I can have them drained soon and not feel so much pain in my knees and legs.

Comment from: LaPaz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I'm 64 and very active. I have two knee replacements with the most recent 2 years ago (right) and the other 5 years ago (left). I was hospitalized in Mexico for 6 days diagnosed with thrombosis. My left calf was 1 inch larger than my right and very painful, including my knee. They took an ultrasound and said I had many clots in my calf. One day after I was cleared from the hospital I flew on a 2 hour flight and drove 3 hours, back to the USA. I was scared about the clot moving so I went to the emergency room to have my leg checked. No blood clots were found but I had a large Baker's cyst that was dissecting into my calf. Still very painful but behind my knee as the 6 days in the hospital brought down most of the swelling. They had me on blood thinners for thrombosis, so after a week I stopped using them. Now 3 weeks after the initial hospitalization my pain has pretty much gone. I think this happened from pushing too much weight on the leg press and not resting my knee long enough. I also had an incident with that knee popping with extreme pain, so yes, I overdid it. I have had problems with the Baker's cyst before due to my knee replacements and overdoing it. I still need to see my orthopedic surgeon to see if there is an underlying problem with the knee. I hope it was just overdoing it and rest is all I need.

Comment from: Aged Parent, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

My Baker's cyst was first diagnosed 30 years ago. Five arthroscopies later I have just had a half knee replacement. Incredible pain in the calf next day, and it was swollen and red. I was scanned for DVT (deep vein thrombosis) but today they identified a ruptured Baker's Cyst that had drained into the calf. I had treated it with heat (a wheat bag), elevation, massage (gentle at first), ankle pumps and leg lifts and by rubbing in Voltarol with Diclofenac. My calf size reduced by 5 cm in a week, and pain is now almost gone.

Comment from: Peter, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I had a Baker's cyst behind my right knee, and it burst causing synovial fluid to empty into my lower leg. My leg swelled up to the point that you could not see my ankle. I went to the hospital and told the doctor what I thought had happened and they gave me a scan for blood clots. No blood clots, and told to go home and rest, I rested for 4 days and swelling went down. Synovial fluid is still leaking in to my lower leg and yes, I have severe pain. I am waiting for a knee replacement at present, as it is hard to walk.

Comment from: rjmartintx, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 04

For about a month, my knee felt 'tight'. Then a sharp pain began for a couple of weeks when I walked. I decided I just needed more exercise so hit the treadmill hard. Bad idea. Big-time pain started in the back of the leg below the knee, followed by swelling all the way through the ankle. Then four days later, the deep bruising showed up all along the side of the affected foot. Classic rupture signs of Baker's cyst. Doctors told me to take NSAIDs. It is still swollen after two weeks. Hope this subsides soon!

Baker Cyst - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your Baker's cyst?
Baker Cyst - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your Baker cyst?