Patient Comments: Baker Cyst - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Baker cyst.

Comment from: Jo Hoffman, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

My knee pain started 4 or 5 months ago. They did x-ray first said no arthritis. They did MRI which showed swelling in my ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) and a Baker cyst. I was sent to a knee specialist, who told me he could do nothing. I can barely bend and stand. Sitting or standing for more than 20 minutes is so painful. I do ice it every night. It is awful to be 44 and limited to what I can do. I love to hike, bike and kayak. I have been diabetic for 9 years and since moving to Florida over a year ago I have lost 18 lb. and now this knee is slowing me down. I don't understand with all the technology we can't do anything. The orthopedic doctor wouldn't even drain it. He says surgery is too risky. Really the swelling and pain are going up my leg and makes the top of my foot numb. This is awful!

Comment from: larry609, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 22

I've had a Baker's cyst expand if I hiked for miles. Then I had a surgeon remove a bit of bone that had broken loose from a previous surgery back in 71 to remove a very small piece of kneecap that was broken off in a motorcycle wreck. While this surgeon was removing that small piece (size of a raisin), she said that she also removed 40 percent of my meniscus. Now I can't even clean my house without that cyst really blowing up in size and it takes days to go down.

Comment from: LollipopOntario, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I have had a Baker's cyst for about 6 months now. I was a very active person before this. I guess I must have overdone my walking and bicycling. No one ever warned me of over doing exercise before! Now I only walk for short periods of time for exercise, but I would like to do much more! It is unfortunate as I am only 56 and still pretty healthy. I just do what I need to do to look after my knee. Hope everyone who has a Bakers' cyst finds relief!

Comment from: Jady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I got my Baker's cyst drained. I had been house bound for years, in agony and told constantly there is nothing that can be done. At a recent doctor's appointment, I was in agony, sobbing and crying out in pain. I was offered the steroid injection but insisted he try to drain the cyst. Very reluctantly he asked the nurse to get a 50 ml syringe, and he very quickly asked for another syringe, then another. He stopped after draining 130 ml of fluid. Wow, I actually got off hospital bed unaided and walked without my crutches. It is early days, still a little sore, but slept without severe pain for the first time in years. Good luck.

Comment from: Dave, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 03

I had a bilateral knee replacement 18 months ago. Left knee now has a Baker's cyst that has been drained 2 time, first time 28 cc and second time 46 cc. It filled back up that same day and pain is right back.

Comment from: Dana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

Around 3 years ago, I developed a Baker's cyst the size of a quarter from stressing my knee too much on my recumbent bike. I had never heard of one before, and since then I was careful not to pedal with a lot of tension. One afternoon I was outside and I had a strong cramp like feeling from the back of my knee down into the calf. It was painful enough to get my attention. The next day I was standing in my kitchen when I had this sensation of something running down my leg. It was so real a feeling that I actually looked and felt my calf. I had read somewhere that when a Baker's cyst bursts, it gives the sensation of something running down the leg and it was from that I thought my cyst had burst. I noticed my knee was swollen too. I tried to palpate for it and couldn't find it, so the true test to know if it was gone was to ride my bike hard to see if it swelled up like it usually did. It did not, so I assume it burst. A week later, my calf is still sore right where I felt that feeling of something running down my calf.

Comment from: Jack48, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 04

In July of 2014 I was walking and felt like a charley horse in the back of my left thigh. The next day my whole leg was swollen and the pain was unreal. When I got up from sitting I could not walk right away, I had to hold on to something and put pressure on my leg before moving or I would fall. I also started to receive nerve pain in my thighs and knees. Now if I sit on a hard chair for any length of time my left leg from the knee down to my foot feels like a pin cushion. I recently had an MRI and was told I have a Baker's cyst. I still cannot sit in a hard chair. I have to take the pressure off the back of my left leg even when I am driving. I do feel like I have nerve damage.

Baker Cyst - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your Baker's cyst?
Baker Cyst - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your Baker cyst?