Patient Comments: Baker Cyst - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Baker cyst.

Comment from: Bob H., 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 26

I have just had an ultra-scan on my knee replacement and have been told I have a Baker's cyst. I don't know how I can get fluid on a replacement knee!

Comment from: Raffa -mondo, 65-74 (Patient) Published: December 12

I had a burning painful right knee to start with for a week and struggled to walk so had to rest. The next week my calf and foot were swollen and I now had pain in my knee and calf, and bad shooting pains up from my knee to the buttocks. This pain was so bad no pain medication would take it away. I ended up going to Accident and Emergency, and had the blood test and scan for DVT (deep vein thrombosis) but found it was a Baker's cyst that I had never heard of. I am in my second week now and the pain is slowly subsiding. I do hope that no one ever gets one of these because it puts you out of action and you are unable to carry on with everyday life.

Comment from: Jade, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I don't know when I injured something in my knee but after an ultra sound I discovered that I have a Baker's cyst, which occurred after I started running. It has been over a month, I have been off from work for a week with rest and ibuprofen which did absolutely nothing. At the end of the week I still had to go back to my doctor for an anti-inflammatory shot along with muscle relaxers and Voltaren which helped for a few days but I am one again in pain. Sore tight muscles in my calf and thighs and pain in my knee. If you are a runner, you do not want to develop this.

Comment from: Nick, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 20

I tore my antrior cruciate ligament (ACL), walked on it for 8 months, and formed a Baker's cyst. Even after ACL reconstruction surgery a year and 3 months later, I still have the Baker's cyst. I was told it goes away with rest, ice, elevation, and not having an injured ligament, but it is still the same size, and prevents me from sitting on my knee, and gives some knee instability (because its pushing on my ligaments). At age 21, it's frustrating to not be able to do many things the majority of others at this age can do, but I suppose things can happen at any age! For other young people out there, don't wait for an injury to cause more problems. Just get it taken care of as soon as possible (but don't run to doctors either, they will not help you as much as you think).

Comment from: lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I have been a runner all my life. Unfortunately, I believe my knee problem (torn meniscus) is an after affect which led to surgery and to a Baker's cyst the size of a golf ball in my right knee. A year after my surgery my knee pain came back and now I have a stress fracture with another Baker's cyst! Apparently the knee injury is the cause of the cyst forming. I'm unable to work, my health insurance has been cancelled and now I'm going into a deep depression. The only advice I can give is to runners. Think of other ways to work out! The runner's high is not worth it! The pain is horrible and there is no light at the end of the tunnel (not that I can see). Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but this is the truth.

Comment from: Jeff, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 21

I'm a 73 year old male, suddenly noticed my left leg calf slightly swollen, warm and aching. My general physician sent me to Accident and Emergency, they did blood tests and an ultra-scan and said the good news is it isn't deep vein thrombosis, it's a ruptured Baker's cyst. Never even knew I had one and strangely I have very little pain, just an occasional slight ache, though the leg and foot are swollen from the knee down. I don't understand why there's no pain as ruptured Baker's cysts usually very painful, and why I didn't notice the cyst, sometimes they form under the knee joint. I was told the fluid will get reabsorbed and swelling will subside, just give it time. Hm. If you've bad pain with yours demand the cyst is drained of remaining fluid and demand a cortisone injection so you can get on with your life. Good luck.

Baker Cyst - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your Baker's cyst?
Baker Cyst - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your Baker cyst?