Patient Comments: Bacterial Vaginosis - Experience

Please describe your experience with bacterial vaginosis.

Comment from: Fiona, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I started smelling a very foul odor every time I went to the bathroom, then it got so bad I could smell it through my pants. I waited for 2 months before going to see my doctor because I was hoping it would go away on its own and frankly I was too embarrassed to go see her. But it got to the point that I wouldn"t let my boyfriend touch me anymore and it was taking a toll on our relationship. Once I saw the doctor she did some tests and told me I had bacterial vaginosis. She also told me I could get rid of it with a medication called metronidazole. So, I took 2 pills a day for 7 days, and it has been a week since I stopped taking the pills and the smell is gone but now I have a burning and itching so unbearable that I can barely walk. My doctor can"t see me for a couple of days and I have to bear it till then. I"m hoping something can be done but until I can see her I will be doing some research on what I can use for it.

Comment from: Mary, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I thought I had a yeast infection, and tried the OTC products but they just didn't work. The smell was also very different than a yeast infection. When I went to my Gyn for my annual, I mentioned it to him. Sure enough, BV. It took two treatments to resolve, and I've gotten it twice since. It's more of a pain than a yeast infection because it can only be eradicated with prescription creams.

Comment from: LAH, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

This is the most embarrassing condition to have. I have suffered with this condition off and on for the last 5 years. The worst part about it is the smell. It is the most awful smell in the world. I find that the antibiotic Flagyl or metronidazole is the most effective method of getting rid of BV (bacterial vaginosis). I recently spotted some over the counter treatment. It's called VH Essentials BV Treatment. I haven't used it yet but I read some really good reviews on the product. Hopefully this will be an alternate method of getting rid of BV rather than those nasty Flagyl tablets.

Comment from: Precious, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I"m worried because of vaginal itching, whitish discharge that smells; it's been days and l am pregnant.

Bacterial Vaginosis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with bacterial vaginosis?
Bacterial Vaginosis - Complications Question: What complications did you experience with bacterial vaginosis?
Bacterial Vaginosis - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective for bacterial vaginosis?