Patient Comments: Bacterial Vaginosis - Treatment

What treatments were effective for bacterial vaginosis?

A Doctor's View on Bacterial Vaginosis Treatment

Read the Comment by Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD

Bacterial vaginosis often resolves on its own without treatment but antibiotics like metronidazole (Flagyl, MetroGel), clindamycin (Cleocin), and tinidazole (Tindamax) may be prescribed by a doctor. Pregnant women who have bacterial vaginosis must always be treated. Antibiotics may be applied topically or taken orally. For unknown reasons, symptoms recur in over half of women who are treated for bacterial vaginosis within one year. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Elaine, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I was very healthy when I contracted West Nile virus (WNV) in 2014. Symptoms included massive headache that emanated from the base of my skull, stiff neck, fever, and extreme fatigue (in bed 23 of 24 hours). I recall telling a friend I felt like I had to remind myself to breathe sometimes. It wasn't diagnosed by blood test, until the virus started to resolve itself a couple of months later. I experienced fatigue for another couple of years, and still need 10 hours sleep a night. Every now and then I still have a period of extended headaches due to inflammation. Muscles deteriorated and I am still working on a full comeback. It is upsetting that people and the medical community blow you off; oh, I'm not worried about WNV 'because I'm healthy'. I was too. It's a mistake to broadcast that 80 percent of people don't even know they have it.

Comment from: sj, Female (Patient) Published: October 26

I have been battling bacterial vaginosis (BV) for about a year and half. I spent hundreds of dollars in doctor visits and prescribed medications that only made matters worse. After reaching my ultimate low in losing confidence and making up excuses why I didn't want to have relations with my boyfriend and being thoroughly embarrassed to even stand next to someone in fear they would smell me, I finally turned to nature. I was desperate to find a cure and very depressed over it. They say it's not an STD but boy, does it make you feel like you have one. It equally destroys your femininity as much as if you would have in fact had an STD. Well ladies, I found my cure. I know they say don't douche. But in my case, matters couldn't be any worse. I was bloated, achy, had drainage constantly, the smell; lord, the smell! It was bad. Well, I tried the salt water treatment douching. Yes it worked, temporary. Then I tried honey water douche, also temporary (as in a day). Tea Tree oil; least favorite, bothersome, oozed out and temporary but very effective masking the smell. And finally apple cider vinegar (ACV). Bingo! We had a winner. Three days later I was cured! Day one, I mixed equal portions of ACV and water, and douched. Then douched again with plain water, took acidophilus twice a day and cleansed the outer labial portions with tea tree oil and water (just to catch any potential smells). Day two, about a 3rd of ACV and water, flushed again with plain water, still taking acidophilus twice per day and tea tree oil for the outside. At this point, the symptoms were gone as far as bloat and ache, and no smell. Still there was discharge, but no smell. Day three, a teaspoon of ACV and water, flushed again with plain water, acidophilus and tea tree oil rinse. Done! No discharge, no symptoms, no smells. I am BV free for over a month now; after so long in trying to find help, it worked. And treatment varies for some women. I am happy to report, I have not had to douche since and honestly I really won't unless absolutely necessary. It is not natural to douche all the time and upsets the natural flora. Now I watch my pH and make sure it stays balanced. I maintain a healthy diet and I drink of plenty of water. I hope this helps you as much as it helped me. Oh and by the way, I found it funny that 50 cents is all it would cost to cure me. Best of luck.

Comment from: Alfred, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I had about 10 chigger bites recently. Cause might have been because I laid my clothes on the picnic table and then put them on. Bad idea! My father advised mixing salt and butter and applying that. I thought chigger was buried. I wonder if the puncture apparatus remains when chigger leaves.

Comment from: Time, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I just wanted to say something positive about all this. I went to my doctor 2 weeks ago with symptoms of frequent urination and feeling tired because of interrupted sleep. Because of my age he suggested a prostate exam, days later I was with a specialist and the week after that had TURP (transurethral resection of the prostate) surgery. I checked the videos on google to see what was involved (don't do that), and I read about recovery, etc. I am here to tell you that it was not as dramatic as I was led to believe, I had a couple of pain killers, nurses insisted, I didn't feel I needed them. I got home Thursday and surgery was Tuesday. Okay, I am tired but I have been sitting around in a hospital. Tonight I sleep in my own bed, no pain killers and glad that I have done it. I am still waiting for the cancer test results which will be due in a few days. Guys, get checked and get the surgery done. So far as I can tell I am one of the lucky ones, but I also think that is due to the surgeon who insisted I keep the catheter in for two days. Good luck with your treatment.

Bacterial Vaginosis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with bacterial vaginosis?
Bacterial Vaginosis - Complications Question: What complications did you experience with bacterial vaginosis?
Bacterial Vaginosis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with bacterial vaginosis.
Bacterial Vaginosis - Possible Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your bacterial vaginosis?