Patient Comments: Bacterial Vaginosis - Treatment

What treatments were effective for bacterial vaginosis?

A Doctor's View on Bacterial Vaginosis Treatment

Read the Comment by Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD

Bacterial vaginosis often resolves on its own without treatment but antibiotics like metronidazole (Flagyl, MetroGel), clindamycin (Cleocin), and tinidazole (Tindamax) may be prescribed by a doctor. Pregnant women who have bacterial vaginosis must always be treated. Antibiotics may be applied topically or taken orally. For unknown reasons, symptoms recur in over half of women who are treated for bacterial vaginosis within one year. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Alfred, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I had about 10 chigger bites recently. Cause might have been because I laid my clothes on the picnic table and then put them on. Bad idea! My father advised mixing salt and butter and applying that. I thought chigger was buried. I wonder if the puncture apparatus remains when chigger leaves.

Comment from: Time, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I just wanted to say something positive about all this. I went to my doctor 2 weeks ago with symptoms of frequent urination and feeling tired because of interrupted sleep. Because of my age he suggested a prostate exam, days later I was with a specialist and the week after that had TURP (transurethral resection of the prostate) surgery. I checked the videos on google to see what was involved (don't do that), and I read about recovery, etc. I am here to tell you that it was not as dramatic as I was led to believe, I had a couple of pain killers, nurses insisted, I didn't feel I needed them. I got home Thursday and surgery was Tuesday. Okay, I am tired but I have been sitting around in a hospital. Tonight I sleep in my own bed, no pain killers and glad that I have done it. I am still waiting for the cancer test results which will be due in a few days. Guys, get checked and get the surgery done. So far as I can tell I am one of the lucky ones, but I also think that is due to the surgeon who insisted I keep the catheter in for two days. Good luck with your treatment.

Comment from: su, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

Over 20 years ago, I had a massive sneeze and broke my neck. The instant pain was transferred into my arm, I rushed to the hospital and they suspected a heart attack (it wasn't). Five months later I went to the doctor for leg problems and he noticed a lump in my neck. X-ray taken found the break in my 5th vertebra. It had mended itself but was out of line, I have massive pain all the time now. I now have cervical spondylosis plus rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and fibromyalgia. I can't tolerate RA drugs, and the pain and headache never go. It has left me a damaged and broken person.

Comment from: AFox, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I have been douching with peroxide and water, about 3/4 peroxide and 1/4 water, before and after sex. This has helped my bacterial vaginosis more than anything that I have tried, including 100s of Flagyl.

Comment from: joani, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I agree Janelle that acidophilus especially, Lactobacillus acidophilus is key. What I found that worked extremely well for bacterial vaginosis is a product called Femanol. You can find it online or at Amazon. I of course can't promise it well work as good for you as it did for me, but I am very pleased with it.

Comment from: klc49er, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

My doctor tried to treat my bacterial vaginosis (BV) with the normal medications for this type of infection, but it got worse. She said that I had to see a gynecologist and she would get the authorization from my insurance. I had a hysterectomy in my 20s and I am now 56 and have had major vaginal issues in the past 5 years. They tell me it is normal. I did some research while I wait to see the gynecologist and it said to take odor free garlic pills. I take the 2000 mg 3 times per day and I made a mixture of garlic powder mixed with hot water in a spray bottle and I spray that on the area and it seems to have brought the inflammation down a bit. I was so swollen I couldn't walk because my vulva lips rubbed against my thighs making it very painful. I have only started the garlic method 3 days ago and already see and feel a big difference. You can also take minced garlic and the anti-itch cream and mix it together and put as much as you can on a tampon and insert in vagina for 2 to 3 hours. I see my gynecologist on Monday but I hope by tomorrow night I have it cleared up. I have had this for 3 1/2 long months and I have never had it this bad. I say, try the garlic method because I have had more response with this than I have had with any medications.

Bacterial Vaginosis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with bacterial vaginosis?
Bacterial Vaginosis - Complications Question: What complications did you experience with bacterial vaginosis?
Bacterial Vaginosis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with bacterial vaginosis.
Bacterial Vaginosis - Possible Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your bacterial vaginosis?