Patient Comments: Bacterial Vaginosis - Treatment

What treatments were effective for bacterial vaginosis?

A Doctor's View on Bacterial Vaginosis Treatment

Read the Comment by Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD

Bacterial vaginosis often resolves on its own without treatment but antibiotics like metronidazole (Flagyl, MetroGel), clindamycin (Cleocin), and tinidazole (Tindamax) may be prescribed by a doctor. Pregnant women who have bacterial vaginosis must always be treated. Antibiotics may be applied topically or taken orally. For unknown reasons, symptoms recur in over half of women who are treated for bacterial vaginosis within one year. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: joani, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I agree Janelle that acidophilus especially, Lactobacillus acidophilus is key. What I found that worked extremely well for bacterial vaginosis is a product called Femanol. You can find it online or at Amazon. I of course can't promise it well work as good for you as it did for me, but I am very pleased with it.

Comment from: klc49er, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

My doctor tried to treat my bacterial vaginosis (BV) with the normal medications for this type of infection, but it got worse. She said that I had to see a gynecologist and she would get the authorization from my insurance. I had a hysterectomy in my 20s and I am now 56 and have had major vaginal issues in the past 5 years. They tell me it is normal. I did some research while I wait to see the gynecologist and it said to take odor free garlic pills. I take the 2000 mg 3 times per day and I made a mixture of garlic powder mixed with hot water in a spray bottle and I spray that on the area and it seems to have brought the inflammation down a bit. I was so swollen I couldn't walk because my vulva lips rubbed against my thighs making it very painful. I have only started the garlic method 3 days ago and already see and feel a big difference. You can also take minced garlic and the anti-itch cream and mix it together and put as much as you can on a tampon and insert in vagina for 2 to 3 hours. I see my gynecologist on Monday but I hope by tomorrow night I have it cleared up. I have had this for 3 1/2 long months and I have never had it this bad. I say, try the garlic method because I have had more response with this than I have had with any medications.

Comment from: Happy Girl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I'm a former BV (bacterial vaginosis) sufferer and I came back to this thread to leave a testimony. I've been to numerous sites and forums and I have read about all kinds of things that women have tried to rid themselves of this awful condition. First of all, when BV is at its worse, it is impossible to treat with home remedies. I've tried almost every home remedy including the acidophilus tablets, peroxide, tea tree oil, Femmesil, tampons soaked in yogurt, eating yogurt, drinking cranberry juice, etc. None of these actually cured my BV or lessened the symptoms. When I went to my doctor a year ago she prescribed Flagyl. It cleared my BV right up. To my dismay, my boyfriend and I had sex and I noticed that my symptoms began to return. This time it seemed even worse. The smell and the abundant discharge had returned. I also noticed that using tampons caused me to actually bleed longer and was intensifying the BV. When using latex condoms, the BV was at its worst. I went back to the doctor who said I had a touch of yeast with my BV and she prescribed Flagyl and Diflucan. After two days my symptoms were gone and BV and yeast were cleared. Long story short, I eliminated latex condoms and unprotected sex because in both the cases my BV was triggered by the semen. I also stopped using tampons and switched to a non-latex condom. Not only has my BV been gone for almost a year, my vaginal flora is at its best and has resisted even the occasional pesky yeast infection. I also don't take any pills or do any yogurt to keep it away. It just stays away because my vagina is at its best health. That's not to say that some of these methods don't make a good preventative but I had BV for a long time and I have eliminated it by finding the cause.

Comment from: janelle, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

Acidophilus and probiotics and a ton of water worked for me almost instantly but I found I had to continue taking the supplements after symptoms had cleared. Still it worked.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

39 years old with BV for the first time after being on various antibiotics for other health issues on and off for about 8 months plus having a new boyfriend that I have my doubts about and are now broken up. Got on the clindamycin cream for about 4 days didn't work. Flagyl 500mg for 7 days, betadine douche (one time only), philips probiotic pill(once daily), Summers Eve PH balance wash to cleanse and Calmoseptine Ointment for the ragging itch/burn on the outer parts of the vagina. Went back for a checkup and now clear! Good luck

Comment from: Alex, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 13

One of the good treatments for all bacterial vaginal problems is treatment with Cervugid ovules. That treatment is good for candida, trichomoniasis, Gardnerella, human papilloma virus (HPV) and more.

Bacterial Vaginosis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with bacterial vaginosis?
Bacterial Vaginosis - Complications Question: What complications did you experience with bacterial vaginosis?
Bacterial Vaginosis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with bacterial vaginosis.
Bacterial Vaginosis - Possible Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your bacterial vaginosis?