Patient Comments: Bacterial Vaginosis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with bacterial vaginosis?

Comment from: Bella, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I was diagnosed with BV (bacterial vaginosis) and I did not notice that I had a problem until the smell. I also had to keep my legs closed because the odor came through my pants. I also had a slight discharge but I thought that was normal. My doctor treated me for BV, but it came back. I found a homeopathic BV capsule at Walmart that has helped. The smell has gone away but I use the BV capsule daily in hopes that it goes away. I will try the Flagyl to see if it helps me.

Comment from: girlie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

The symptoms were blood turning rusty to mustard color and abdominal pain while having intercourse. Post menopause, I also have proctitis, a colon infection. There is no odor with the bacterial vaginosis. Fibroid tumors in uterus were found in the emergency room.

Comment from: dell, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I first experience this foul odor 2 months ago, the smell was horrible. My gynecologist gave me Flagyl which makes the odor disappear but its back again after some days. It's really frustrating to smell down there.

Comment from: Sunshine, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I have been suffering with BV for over 10 years. At first I thought it was a STD, but I went to the dr and she diagnosed me with BV. My symptoms were terrible. At first I had a terrible discharge, and the odor was horrible. I remember taking a bath and washing with soap and it made the smell worse. I can deal with all the other symptoms such as soreness, irritability in the clitoris, but the smell is by far the most embarrassing. I could literally smell it through my pants. No woman should have to go through this. It has caused me to have low self-esteem. What I have found that works best is the dr gave me an antibiotic to take after intercourse. I have found that when my husband ejaculates in me the next day I start having the symptoms. So he and I stay away from doing that, and we both wash before and after sex. It is important to keep dry so that the ph doesn't change dramatically. Flagyl is the only medicine that clears my BV up, but it almost always re-occurs later on. Some women are allergic to semen and it messes up our ph levels. I hope this helps someone out there suffering with the same horrible condition as me.

Comment from: Mency, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I have had these horrible symptoms for 17 days now. It started with and awful vaginal itch, swelling, burning and a slight odor. My doctor diagnosed me with bacterial vaginosis (BV) and a yeast infection. I swear that this has to be the most awful thing a woman has to go through. My husband is really understanding and helps me out, but sometimes it gets so bad that I wish I could rip my vagina off. I am currently on Diflucan.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

Recently, I was diagnosed with this condition and was told that it came from my frequent bleeding associated with my IUD(hormone induced). My initial symptoms were constant discharge and more recently I noticed a horrific odor. OMG! Could smell my self at work through my panties, having to sit with my legs closed tightly is depressing....so, my GYN told me to use Flagyl twice a day for ten days and to use a douche (something I have never used) to assist with killing the bacteria. She stated that bacteria loves blood and this was the cause of my new diagnosis. Nice to read the other stories and I do believe that oral sex has some effect on it also. I hadn't given thought to the semen possibilities but who knows. Anything is possible. Just started my prescription and hope that it works.

Bacterial Vaginosis - Complications Question: What complications did you experience with bacterial vaginosis?
Bacterial Vaginosis - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective for bacterial vaginosis?
Bacterial Vaginosis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with bacterial vaginosis.