Patient Comments: Bacterial Vaginosis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with bacterial vaginosis?

Comment from: Fergie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I take a probiotic called Ultimate Flora for bacterial vaginosis. I use the yellow bottle with 15 Billion. That works for me!

Comment from: trac, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

My bacterial vaginosis was caused by MRSA. I don't know how I got it. There was no bad smell, but I had extremely itchy vaginal boils that would eventually turn into open sores and produce more extremely itchy boils. This went on for over three weeks, until I could be examined, and cultures showed MRSA caused it. Then I got on medication to get rid of it.

Comment from: Penny, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I wanted to go ahead and give out information that I have learned over the years about bacterial vaginosis (BV). My pH sensitivity used to be a noticeable factor for me. I found that anything inserted into my vagina that was cleaned with anti-bacterial soap always caused BV and occasionally semen caused it and now I am also finding another culprit that contributes to BV. I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago and hormones can also cause BV. I was taking estradiol for a year and when I stopped taking it BV showed up within 2 days. Now I am trying bio-identical HRT (hormone replacement therapy) and am noticing that soon after ovulation is when I am susceptible to getting it. Also make sure that no anal to vaginal sex occurs because that is obviously a very bad thing.

Comment from: Pielove, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I am of 21 years of age. I just became sexually active with my fiancé, and ever since (for about a year) I have had battles with yeast infections! And now I was just diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis. I've not noticed any smell, but there is lots of soreness in my vagina and clitoris. I do not smoke, keep off sweets, and he has never ejaculated inside me. My doctor said it is because I just became sexually active. But after lots of research, I'm going to be very careful on not to mix anal bacteria with vaginal bacteria. I'm more than excited to take this medicine and get rid of it! The pain is so horrible, and it depresses me not being able to make love to my fiancé. I have also used Summer's Eve all my life. I'm trying out dove soap (my doctor advised against it; strange I've never had a problem before I became sexually active) and have been taking Pro-B vaginal targeted probiotic. I want to be on the prescription probiotic for that area though. I feel like it will be much more effective. Good luck to everyone, wish this just didn't happen.

Comment from: Bella, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I was diagnosed with BV (bacterial vaginosis) and I did not notice that I had a problem until the smell. I also had to keep my legs closed because the odor came through my pants. I also had a slight discharge but I thought that was normal. My doctor treated me for BV, but it came back. I found a homeopathic BV capsule at Walmart that has helped. The smell has gone away but I use the BV capsule daily in hopes that it goes away. I will try the Flagyl to see if it helps me.

Comment from: Misslouisa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I was suffering with bacterial vaginosis (BV) pretty badly for months. Every time I took antibiotics it went away but then ended with thrush and then after my period the BV came back so I was on a monthly cycle. Anyway, after my doctor did some research she gave me this gel, I've not hear anyone speak about it on these threads of comments. It is called Zidoval (7.5mg/g). It is a bit like bioactive, you insert it every day for 10 days and then twice a week for 4 to 6 months. After 4 to 6 months I stopped using it and it has never been back since. For some reason doctors are only giving out metronidazole or some other antibiotic. Ask specifically for this gel! I hope this helps you, I know how depressed I was with the issue. Good luck.

Comment from: Sparkle7, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have had bacterial vaginosis for the last few months after I had coil removed and I bleed quite a lot. It is so annoying to have constant itch, discharge and an awful odor. I have been told to take Flagyl for this problem but I'm finding them hard to take. I take them after food but feel sick and dizzy.

Bacterial Vaginosis - Complications Question: What complications did you experience with bacterial vaginosis?
Bacterial Vaginosis - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective for bacterial vaginosis?
Bacterial Vaginosis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with bacterial vaginosis.
Bacterial Vaginosis - Possible Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your bacterial vaginosis?