Patient Comments: Bacterial Vaginosis - Treatment

Question:What was the treatment for your bacterial vaginosis?

Comment from: me, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I have been dealing with this for some time now. I find as soon as the symptoms start I have a bath with Epson salt at night. Rinse off except for the vaginal area. The salt gets rid of the odor overnight. Unfortunately I don't have a cure but I find this is easier and better than taking medication again and again.

Comment from: Claudia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I have developed severe food allergies throughout the last 4 years and believe it or not my worst allergy is to lactalbumin which is the protein in milk. Don't get confused with lactose intolerance because lactose is the sugar in dairy. I started having recurring BVs' throughout these years until I finally discovered it was my food allergy to dairy (yogurt, milk, cheese, butter, ice cream) who detonated this terrible painful and smelly infection. Now I kind of have it under control taking zyrtec and avoiding dairy to the max but every time I cannot control a craving and I have some dairy I pay for it.

Comment from: chocolate35, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I have had reccurring bacterial vaginosis ever since I was in high school now I am 35. I think using Rephresh pills daily and eating yogurt helps. Soak in a tub with a cup of apple cider vinegar to kill bad bacteria. Then put plain yogurt into your vagina with a tampon to restore good bacteria. You should see results immediately.The results are lasting.I also used Metronidizole and Flagyl gel continuously for no lasting cure. Good Luck

Published: July 11

I am 49, and have been married to same man for six years. Everything was fine until this year. My discharge is so bad I have to wear a pad. This is the first time I have ever had this. Flagyl worked, and then three weeks after I thought I was cured, it came back.

Published: July 01

I have had bacterial vaginosis on and off again for the last four years. I'm so sick of it. Nothing seems to help. The doctors can't explain why I keep getting them. I will get them one right after another for months and months. Then it will clear up for about four or five months and then start all over again. Antibiotics don't clear them up. Going without sex doesn't do it either.

Comment from: ebenson, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I treat my bacterial vaginosis with plain yogurt and rub it on my vagina. Overnight, I dip a tampon into yogurt and insert it into my vagina. Years ago my German doctor told me to do that and it always works. I also only wear cotton underwear.

Comment from: Anonymous, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

My nurse practicioner prescribed Flagyl for my bacterial vaginosis.

Comment from: RN retired, Female (Caregiver) Published: March 07

Research shows women with bacterial vaginosis are often vitamin D deficient. I had chronic bacterial vaginosis that was resistant to treatment. It went away with vitamin D supplements. I usually take 1,000 or 2,000 mg of vitamin D a day.

Bacterial Vaginosis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with bacterial vaginosis?
Bacterial Vaginosis - Complications Question: What complications did you experience with bacterial vaginosis?
Bacterial Vaginosis - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective for bacterial vaginosis?
Bacterial Vaginosis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with bacterial vaginosis.