Patient Comments: Bacterial Vaginosis - Treatment

Question:What was the treatment for your bacterial vaginosis?

Comment from: acsmooth, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I really thought that I was the only one too that had this plague. I had it for 4 or five months now and it really put a damper on my sex life until the person that I was with dumped me for it .But what I've learned is that in your vagina there is a certain ph balance an you have to regulate it. I use plain yogurt as a cream to insert it because it has the live actives that could regulate your ph and it really works have not had a bad odor since.

Comment from: PassionPartiesbyDW, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

NEVER stick yogurt, hydrogen peroxide, or douches into your vagina. You can actually make it worse and cause serious problems. Your vagina is designed to cleanse itself from the inside out. Drink plenty of water and eat yogurt on a regular basis to help with the probiotics. Cut back on the coffee if you have an infection. Most of the time the infection will go away on its own. Yes, it's embarrassing and you can get them from poor diet, lack of water, not just through sexual activity. Always make sure you urinate after sex.

Comment from: It Works, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

Now clearly poor diet plays a role in bacterial vaginosis, and in female reproductive diseases, the culprits are usually the same dairy products (cheese, ice cream, sour cream, butter, and yogurt); animal flesh/meat (pork, chicken, turkey, fish, lamb, beef, and seafood); refined grains (pastries donuts, cookies, cakes; bagels, bread, crackers, etc.); refined starches (potato chips, French fries, etc.) in addition to sugar, salt, chemical preservatives, and a host of other harmful products. A sufferer of bacterial vaginosis should fast for a day or two, followed by modifying the diet. Vegetable juice should be consumed daily and should contain parsley, cilantro, garlic, and ginger in addition to other green veggies. The less cooked foods the better. Drink plenty of water. Do not wear tight clothing! Tight clothing, especially tight pants, chokes the vagina and prevents it from breathing. The vagina is a breathing orifice by nature and needs oxygen. Lack of oxygen causes anaerobia.

Comment from: Kayy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have just been diagnosed with Bacterial Vaginosis. My OB GYN prescribed oral medication which I'm picking up from the pharmacy today. My doctors said to take it for seven days and it should clear right up. Yet I have been reading some horror stories of women having Bacterial Vaginosis for 5+ years, on and off. I have been with my husband for three years and he is my only partner. As far as I know he is faithful so that is ruled out as a factor. My doctor also advised me to never use soap down there or anywhere around the pelvic area. She advised if I felt the need to use anything, let it be Mild Baby shampoo or Summers Eve sensitive wash. She made it very clear to never douche!

Comment from: chris, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I found out with my reoccurring bacterial vaginosis that my immune system is down and that can also cause it to reoccur. A lot of women do not realize they have a lower immune system and it shows in their blood work, therefore causing bacteria to grow easier. Talk to your doctor about running a test for your auto-immune system, and for Epstein-Barr virus, and a Lyme disease panel. Hope this will help with answers!

Comment from: Teena11, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

For my bacterial vaginosis, my doctor has prescribed a new cream called AVC Cream. I am told it helps to balance the pH levels. I use it once a day for 30 days. My doctor also prescribed an antibiotic (NOT Flagyl) because he said it wouldn't cure the bacterial vaginosis, but it's just to help with the flora. I am crossing my fingers and hoping that this works. I'm 29 years old and have suffered from this for 4 years. I have been married to my husband for 10 years with no other sex partners.

Comment from: anonymous, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I have had BV in the past and looked extensively online for a more natural way to cure the problem. What I have found to work is using a hydrogen peroxide solution mixed with sterile water douches. You do this 3 times a day for 3 days. Works great with no side effects. But make sure you douche with sterile water after the peroxide, because peroxide can damage tissue if left on contact. Also take a yeast tablet to build up the natural flora in the vagina. There is a site that will explain this in detail; you just have to look for it.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

5mths ago I had a tampon fall out from me which I believe it may have been up there for about 3 days and since I have been experiencing an itchy red vagina. I've tried the oral meds and the gel, it's not as bad as it was but still hasn't gone away. For now for the itchiness and redness I'm using calmoseptine ointment that soothes the area. I plan to go see the doctor again.

Bacterial Vaginosis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with bacterial vaginosis?
Bacterial Vaginosis - Complications Question: What complications did you experience with bacterial vaginosis?
Bacterial Vaginosis - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective for bacterial vaginosis?
Bacterial Vaginosis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with bacterial vaginosis.
Bacterial Vaginosis - Possible Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your bacterial vaginosis?