Patient Comments: Bacterial Vaginosis - Treatment

Question:What was the treatment for your bacterial vaginosis?

Published: June 24

I have been fighting recurrences of this problem since my 20s and I am now almost 50. Nothing seems to help. I am not sexually active either, so that is no longer a trigger. I was told not to wear thongs and not to douche. I don't do either, but I notice that if I sit in a wet bathing suit for very long, it will reoccur. I also wear leggings rather than regular underwear because I need the extra support and I imagine this is not good for the anaerobic bacteria. I am about to start a new regimen of Shaklee's OptiFlora to see if this helps with making the regular vaginal and intestinal bacteria what they should be.

Published: June 17

I have had BV twice now. The first time I had it I used the one day cream and it came back. I am now getting ready to start the Flagyl pills. I wonder does it have anything to do with taking birth control pills. And if stress is a factor in triggering it, then everyone should get it.

Published: June 17

I am a sufferer of BV. I have had it for about 8 years off and on. About the same time I met my husband and began a sexual relationship with him. I have viewed other websites about this problem. I am desperate for a cure! I don't have any more answers than the next person, although I have found that eating yogurt seems to help a awful lot. I have taken to eating 1 carton a day. It really seems to help. Hope they come up with more answers soon.

Published: June 12

I have had BV pretty much on and off since I had my daughter who is now 3 yrs. old. Doctors couldn't figure out why they couldn't get rid of it. I had the same partner for over 9 years. I didn't drink much water naturally, or any other liquid for that matter so they wanted me to test that it didn't work. I took multi-vitamins and b12 complex. Stopped taking all regular vitamins and it was cured for a while. When I have to take medicine it comes back any type of upset in my system it comes back. They told me to stop having sex and that worked for a little while, but I'm sorry I need that, but even using condoms it came back. The only thing I have found to kind of helped is the supplement acidophilus 2-3x a day but it's kind of costly. 7-10$ for min. of 45 pills max I have seen so far is 60 but there could be more quantities at health food stores. I saw a previous comment on sweets affecting it. I will test that theory, I can't totally cut that out but I can cut back considerably. Also, I am in decent shape I work out every other day at least. 145lbs and 5'5" just to give you an idea physically. This is a very bothersome problem. I hope I have helped somewhat.

Published: June 11

I have been suffering from BV after finishing an antibiotic over 6 months ago. This has been a huge depressing problem for me. I don't have the cure but I started to journal and I realized that when I over do it on the sweets the symptoms got worse and I couldn't sleep at night. I toned down on the sugar and when I do that I have no symptoms.

Published: June 11

I have just been diagnosed with BV and have yet to start treatment. I am very concerned that this will reoccur even with treatment.

Published: June 10

I had this condition about 4 or 5 years ago and used the 7 day vaginal gel... it cleared up with no problems and did not return until recently when I switched sexual partners. However, this time I chose to go with the 7 day oral dose Flagyl, it seems to be clearing up but is too soon to know about reoccurrences. My doctor said there is a one day gel, but she did not advise it because the majority of patients that use it end up back in her office with the condition again shortly afterwards.

Published: May 27

I found that Flagyl the antibiotic worked for awhile but symptoms flared up again when I got stressed albeit not as bad. I am currently looking for a permanent solution myself.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I never had bacterial vaginosis until I had a Hysterectomy. I have had it back to back. My BFF had a Hysterectomy too and we both discovered this is a bad side effect to have that procedure done. This has been the worst time in my life because I'm basically told that this is something I have to live with. I no longer can take baths, no fancy soaps, just plain unscented Dove, no douching, no "Happy Sex" (All the extra's), because if I do any of these, I have to take off work and then go to the doctor, every other few days to weeks...

Comment from: Perez83, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I am 29 years old and have had bacterial vaginosis throughout an entire five years now. I have been on metronadozole 500mg it works for 3 to 4 days then back with the bacterial vaginosis plus a yeast infection! I tried the peroxide and distilled water with the soaked tampon and left in my vagina for four hours, it helps a bit. I also have douched with the peroxide and distilled water, which helped a lot but then I would get a yeast infection. I'm on metronadozole inserts now.

Bacterial Vaginosis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with bacterial vaginosis?
Bacterial Vaginosis - Complications Question: What complications did you experience with bacterial vaginosis?
Bacterial Vaginosis - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective for bacterial vaginosis?
Bacterial Vaginosis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with bacterial vaginosis.