Patient Comments: Bacterial Vaginosis - Treatment

Question:What was the treatment for your bacterial vaginosis?

Comment from: bv and secrecy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I was pregnant when I was diagnosed with BV. I am still under the care of my parents who still think that I am a virgin. I can not tell them. BV led to the natural termination of my baby at 5 weeks and two days. I have had to deal with this all by myself and now I think that my infection is back even worse. I don't know how it's affecting my period. I don't know what to do. My current boyfriend knows everything and is supportive. However, I haven't recovered from the first one. I have to be honest I didn't take the pills correctly because I was focused on the pregnancy. I am stressed because dealing with this is hard. BV is embarrassing. i was prescribed pills, I had to take certain ones because I was pregnant. I'm scared to go back to the doctors. I do not want a repeat of my last doctor visit.

Comment from: Stacey, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I got BV in my early 20's and the doctor suggested I wash my underwear in baby detergent and it worked. It reappeared several years later in my mid 30's after using the feminine wipes and sprays. Now, I'm 42 and its back but I've totally narrowed it down to tampons!

Comment from: queenjank, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I have suffered from bacterial vaginosis for two years straight. Pills and gels don't help. I heard of boric acid treatment but don't know how much to use.

Comment from: CMR73, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I have suffered with bacterial infections for over 20 years now. They are so severe now, I get them about every three to four weeks and am treated with a vaginal cream. I was married for 12 years. We tried condoms and that helped a little. I definitely reacted every time we had intercourse. I am so tired of this, it is affecting my life now. I avoid dating because it is embarrassing and there seems to be no hope for the situation. Living with this is depressing.

Comment from: tipster, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I am now 20 years old and this is the second time I have been diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis. It is very embarrassing! The first time I was prescribed the "m" gel and flagyl antibiotic pills. This time only the flagyl pills, but I have to take them twice a day for a week. It was very upsetting to see the discharge one time knowing I only had one sex partner. So I became celibate. Well, here we go again. This time my doctor gave me a couple tips. 1) slow down on eating too many sweets 2) no fruity drinks they are too high in concentration 3) drink more water 4) slow down on eating starches 5) keep it cool and fresh 6) no tight clothes. Even though I only had the discharge I still found it very embarrassing and nasty. I would shower three times a day hoping I would feel cleaner. Well I hope these tips help the next person.

Comment from: bvhater, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I can tell all of you women out there that I have been dealing with this horrible problem called bacterial vaginosis for about 5 years. I can tell you a quick fix if you need to get grid of the odor and just feel "cleaner." After your shower, mix 50/50 drugstore type hydrogen peroxide and tap water. Use a syringe of some sort or a douche bottle. Douche with this mixture and you will immediately not have the smell. It should last through the night. Continue doing this for 7 days and it may fix itself. But I know how horrible the odor can be and at that moment that's all you care about.

Comment from: Desperate, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I am a sufferer of bacterial vaginosis. I have had to deal with this issue for 7 years. It is very embarrassing -- the odor, and wondering if everyone smells you, can really have you suffering from anxiety attacks. I have had to change jobs numerous times because of the issue. None of the medications that I was prescribed helped. Tindamax, Flagyl, Clindesse cream all worked for like a month or better, but the symptoms would always reappear. Bacterial vaginosis has caused my marriage to end and depression. I don't wish this on my worst enemy. Honestly if I had a choice between having bacterial vaginosis and cancer, I would take the cancer. I don't know if they will ever find a cure that gets rid of it permanently.

Comment from: DEV, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I recently found out that I have BV. I was so scared thinking I had an STD. My symptoms were horrible and included intense itching, burning, swelling and blood-tinged discharge, with no odor. My doctor put me on Flagyl and it's working well. Ladies, you have to keep your heads up. BV is not an STD and it's not the end of the world!

Bacterial Vaginosis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with bacterial vaginosis?
Bacterial Vaginosis - Complications Question: What complications did you experience with bacterial vaginosis?
Bacterial Vaginosis - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective for bacterial vaginosis?
Bacterial Vaginosis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with bacterial vaginosis.