Patient Comments: Bacterial Vaginosis - Treatment

Question:What was the treatment for your bacterial vaginosis?

Comment from: tlady, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I am 34 and it's my fourth time with BV and I been with the same man for two years. It's really embarrassing. I've had the Flagil pills and the cream before, but this time the odor is worse. I go back tomorrow to see what else they can give me, but I was told not to douche or use scented soaps down there. The doctor said it causes it. I just want it to go away. It's nasty have to take a bath a lot.

Comment from: SoOverBV, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

After several courses of Flagyl, which were unpleasant for me because of side effects which consisted of heart palpitations, the infection continued to return. Finally, my OBGYN decided to try boric acid suppositories. After getting a prescription it was difficult to find a pharmacy to fill them because they have to be made, but eventually I did find one. This was the miracle! Finally, an end to my suffering. This was also the treatment I used for yeast infections later used due to being undiagnosed as diabetic. I've read you can get the boric acid powder and empty capsules at pharmacies yourself and make them. Something I advise anyone with this problem ask their doctor and/or pharmacist about. It was a life saver for me.

Comment from: mamareils, 55-64 (Patient) Published: December 24

My husband and I have been married 35 yrs and I have been diagnosed with bv three times in six months. I too have a foul fishy odor and discharge. The symptoms occur the day or two after sex. I eat yogurt daily, am retired ( no stress!), had a hysterectomy 20 years ago but I feel I am "allergic" to my husband's sperm. I only have symptoms following sex. MetroGel works for a short period of time before the bv returns. I am going to try condoms and see if that will be effective in eliminating this embarrassing problem.

Comment from: Christina, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I had absolutely no symptoms that were unusual. I am currently 36 weeks pregnant and was diagnosed after serious pain in the early morning. After a speculum examination and cultures taken from all the expected places. Bacterial Vaginosis was confirmed I have had 2 different sets of antibiotic and am feeling some relief after nearly 2 weeks of treatment. This condition is highly unpleasant and I cannot believe how unwell I have actually been.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: November 05

I have had BV for over 20 years it took me a long time to control it. This is what I found works. 1. Hydrogen Peroxide douche 2. Non scented baby wipes it is important to stay clean 3. Ivory soap no scented soap 4. Arm and hammer free of perfumes and dyes for the laundry 5. Jarro-Dophilus from the health food store 6. Miso soup

Comment from: ScaredJen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I have suffered from BV for 2 years and just recently found out I'm pregnant, which terrifies me with this issue. Antibiotics work for a week or two but it always returns, and worse. I just wanted to let you know if you didn't already that boric acid suppositories keep the symptoms at bay for me. It stops the discharge, the itching and the god awful smell. I make them myself, it's cheap, and use them once or twice a week. You can find boric acid powder and the empty capsules at most health stores. Hope this helps some of you with everyday life. I hope someone finds a permanent cure someday.

Comment from: neworleansgirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

Yay, I am finally BV free! I have suffered from BV for 8 years and have recently discovered Vagisil PH Balance Feminine Wash and have had no more symptoms!

Comment from: molly, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I have had BV for the past 5 years on and off. I get it about a week before my period and it usually, but not always, lasts for 2 or 3 days into my period. I quit smoking for three months and it disappeared but once I started again it came back. So for me I found that stress, smoking, and the ph imbalance caused my periods to bring it on. I have tried everything from Flagyl to yogurt on tampons and gels but nothing seems to work. It might help with the symptoms but nothing seems to cure it. I need to quit smoking. And I am considering getting an implant for contraception in the hope that it will stop my period also. Hope this helps. It is really is depressing and insufferable living with this.

Comment from: Shelby, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

Thank you ladies. I am 19 and I got my first BV about two years ago. I am so insecure about it. The odor, the discharge. I didn't know so many women have suffered through this along with me. I have been on two different types of pills and as they worked, the BV is re-occurring all the time. I've learned to live with it. I use PH balance wipes. But they don't really help. I'm going to try the Peroxide and tampon idea and eating yogurt daily. I will report back. I just wanted to take the time to thank you. This BV can surely make a person feel dirty and gross. It was so helpful to know that it's nothing I could control. Good luck!

Bacterial Vaginosis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with bacterial vaginosis?
Bacterial Vaginosis - Complications Question: What complications did you experience with bacterial vaginosis?
Bacterial Vaginosis - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective for bacterial vaginosis?
Bacterial Vaginosis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with bacterial vaginosis.
Bacterial Vaginosis - Possible Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your bacterial vaginosis?