Patient Comments: Bacterial Vaginosis - Treatment

Question:What was the treatment for your bacterial vaginosis?

Comment from: Joan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I used to get a BV infection once every two or three months. When I became a vegetarian, it was maybe once every few months. Now that I am a vegan, I haven't had any infections in two years. I don't know if I will ever have one again; but I am much healthier, otherwise.

Comment from: lemontree, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I am in my 40s and have experienced chronic itching for years. I've had lots of testing because my Pap smears came up abnormal. I have been experiencing this horrible itching for almost 15 years. My latest pelvic exam revealed that I have bacterial vaginosis. I'm wondering why other doctors didn't conduct this test.

Comment from: WildNelly, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I've tried mostly everything out there to get rid of BV. All the doctors could give me was antibiotics. It kept returning. A product called Flora Bliss worked the best.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I am another annoyed victim of the BV disaster. I remember a few years ago a doctor told me to get some L. ACIDOPHILUS pills from the health food store and that should help balance the lack of acid in the vagina. It was also stated that lots of yogurt is helpful because of the high volume of L. ACIDOLPHILUS. I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL THERE IS A PERMANANT CURE!!!!!!

Comment from: grandmajake, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

My marriage of 54 years has been sexless for the last 5 or 6 years due to medical conditions of my spouse. He is the only sex partner I have ever had so there is no chance for me to have developed an STD. Now, all of a sudden, I have developed BV. The itching has been terrible and no matter how clean I try to stay the odor has remained fishy and offensive. Then, I began drinking cranberry juice for a minor UTI. The more cranberry I took in the more my BV cleared up. Now, 3 weeks later, I drink 16 oz of C. juice a day plus have about 1/4 cup of dried cranberries for an evening snack I am finally free of BV symptoms. In researching the info about cranberries it says that they prevent bacteria from adhering to the bladder wall - well if I keep enough in my system I think they are also preventing the bacteria from adhering to the vaginal wall. It is working for me, is inexpensive and most of all, I finally have relief! Would not hurt you gals to at least try it; nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Comment from: :/, Published: November 02

I found that I got BV when I got a new boyfriend and went through a bit of stress; the doctor said you can get it when you have a lifestyle change and it can also go away forever when you have another lifestyle change as well. It's the most embarrassing thing, you always feel like everyone can smell you and you always feel dirty. Because I don't want to wear liners everyday i change my underwear at least 4 times. Its embarrassing having intercourse with your partner no matter how many years you've been together. I've been on metronidozole which helped for a week or so after, then came back twice as worst - this time with a yeast infection! It's horrible. I'm now on doxycycline which is a less strong anti-biotic and your conception still works, you can still drink and it makes your skin clear up (if you suffer acne). It's made a difference but hasn't gone away. There's also probiotics you can get from the chemist called woman's bio balance to restore good bacteria in the vagina so you should try it out. Good luck :)

Comment from: blackrose, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

I have been dealing with bv since i was 16. I am a rape/molested victims. I am now 38 there is no cure or no explanations for this embarrassing situation. The older I get the worse I get. Can't use condoms, no anal sex, no semen, no perfume products the list goes on. I have been with my partner for 6 years I catch it mostly around my menstrual cycle or when i sweat too much. Stress has slot to do with it. I'm sorry to been the barrel of bad news we just need to learn how to deal with it and hope they find a solution to this ongoing embarrassment.

Comment from: Candy, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I am 18 years old, and am still a virgin. Ever since I can remember I have had an excess of vaginal discharge and for the past few years it has gotten really bad, with a really bad odor to it. I don't understand what I did to have this happen. I am going to make an appointment with my doctor but by reading other posts it sounds like I have BV, but we will see. Any inspiration would help.

Bacterial Vaginosis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with bacterial vaginosis?
Bacterial Vaginosis - Complications Question: What complications did you experience with bacterial vaginosis?
Bacterial Vaginosis - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective for bacterial vaginosis?
Bacterial Vaginosis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with bacterial vaginosis.