Bacterial vaginosis facts
- Bacterial vaginosis is an abnormal vaginal condition that is characterized by vaginal discharge and results from an overgrowth of atypical bacteria in the vagina.
- Bacterial vaginosis is not dangerous, but it can cause disturbing symptoms.
- Most women do not experience symptoms of bacterial vaginosis, but when they do they are:
- In diagnosing bacterial vaginosis, it is important to exclude other serious vaginal infections, such as the STDs gonorrhea and Chlamydia.
- Treatment options for bacterial vaginosis include prescription oral antibiotics and vaginal gels.
- Serious complications of bacterial vaginosis can occur during pregnancy, and recurrence is possible even after successful treatment. Continue Reading
Reviewed on 11/13/2015