Table of Contents
- Bacterial vaginosis (BV) facts
- What is bacterial vaginosis (BV)?
- What is bacterial vaginosis (BV)? (Continued)
- What causes bacterial vaginosis (BV)?
- Is bacterial vaginosis (BV) contagious?
- Can you get bacterial vaginosis (BV) from a sexual partner?
- What are symptoms of bacterial vaginosis?
- What kind of doctor treats bacterial vaginosis?
- How is bacterial vaginosis diagnosed?
- What is the whiff test for bacterial vaginosis?
- What is the treatment or cure for bacterial vaginosis?
- What medications cure bacterial vaginosis?
- What home remedies help soothe and treat bacterial vaginosis (BV)?
- Can bacterial vaginosis be prevented?
- What are the complications of bacterial vaginosis?
- What is the prognosis for a person with bacterial vaginosis?
Bacterial Vaginosis Symptoms - Vaginal Discharge
If a vaginal discharge is accompanied by the following symptoms, they may be associated with another infection or disorder such as bacterial vaginosis, yeast infection, STD, menopause, and many others.
- abnormal vaginal odor,
- abnormal consistency of vaginal fluid,
- vaginal pain,
- vaginal discharge that is cloudy, bloody, white, yellow, or green, or
- vaginal burning.
Bacterial vaginosis (BV) facts
- Bacterial vaginosis (BV) is an abnormal vaginal condition that is characterized by vaginal discharge and results from an overgrowth of atypical bacteria in the vagina.
- Bacterial vaginosis is not dangerous, but it can cause disturbing symptoms.
- Most women do not experience symptoms of bacterial vaginosis, but when they do they are:
- vaginal discharge, and
- vaginal odor.
- In diagnosing bacterial vaginosis, it is important to exclude other serious vaginal infections, such as the STDs gonorrhea and Chlamydia.
- Treatment options for bacterial vaginosis include prescription oral antibiotics and vaginal gels.
- Serious complications of bacterial vaginosis can occur during pregnancy, and recurrence is possible even after successful treatment. Continue Reading
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Bacterial Vaginosis."
Gired, P. H., MD. "Bacterial Vaginosis." Medscape. Mar 27, 2015.
Gor, H. B., MD. "Vaginitis." Medscape. Nov 03, 2015.
Gired, P.H., MD. "Bacterial vaginosis." Medscape. Updated Nov 15, 2015
WomensHealth.gov. "Bacterial Vaginosis." Nov 19, 2014.
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Women's Health Newsletter