Patient Comments: Autism and Communication - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your child's autism initially?

Comment from: cmeboogie, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 20

My son had several things about him that I thought were "odd". The very first being the total lack of eye contact from about 3 or 4 months. He would turn away at every attempt. This remained to the point that I recall at about age of 4 years, I wondered if he actually knew who is mother was. If not for my voice, I doubted that he would recognize me in a group.

Comment from: BuffaloGal, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 23

My baby appeared 'normal' after her birth. The actual birthing process was not eaasy, she became 'stuck' (something I expressed concern for prior to the beginning of the birthing process) and I vigorously requested a Cesaerean, which my (male) obstetrician initially resisted (I feel for too long). However, that being said, when she did begin to crawl, she did not crawl 'normally'. She crawled only on her left knee, with her right leg in an almost crouching position. I since learned this is one of the early warning signs of Autism Spectrum Disorders. Our pediatrician had little to no knowledge of ASD, which did not help. It is imperative, in my opinion, that expectant parents choose a pediatrician versed in ASD and its early signs and symptoms and an obstetrician whom is sensitive to the desires of his/her patient!

Autism - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with autism.
Autism Spectrum Disorder - Types Question: What type of autism were you or your child diagnosed with? Please discuss your experience.
Autism Spectrum Disorder - Impact on Family Question: In what ways has autism affected your family?
Autism Spectrum Disorder - Causes Question: What do you believe is the cause of your child's autism?
Autism Spectrum Disorder - Vaccines Question: Did concern about autism cause you to withhold vaccinating your child? Briefly, please share your story.
Autism Spectrum Disorder - Diet and Supplements Question: What dietary changes have you made in the treatment of your autistic child?