- Take the Autism Quiz
- Autism Spectrum Disorder FAQs
- Patient Comments: Autism and Communication - Symptoms
- Patient Comments: Autism - Experience
- Patient Comments: Autism Spectrum Disorder - Impact on Family
- Find a local Developmental-Behavioral Pediatrician in your town
- Autism facts
- What is autism?
- How does autism impact the family?
- What are the different types of autism?
- What are the symptoms and signs of autism in children and adults?
- Impairment of social interaction and communication
- What causes autism?
- Is autism genetic?
- Do vaccines play a role in autism?
- How is autism diagnosed in children and adults?
- How is autism treated in children and adults?
- What common sociobehavioral interventions are used to treat autism?
- What are the common medications used to treat the symptoms of autism?
- Can diet and supplements play a role in the treatment of autism?
- What is the prognosis for children and adults with autism?
- For more information about autism in children and adults
Quick GuideAutism Pictures Slideshow: Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
For more information about autism in children and adults
Medically reviewed by Margaret Walsh, MD; American Board of Pediatrics
Bent, S., et al. "Omega-3 fatty acids for autistic spectrum disorder: a systemic review." Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 39.8 (2009): 1145-1154.
Bishop, S. L., et al. "Predictors of perceived negative impact in mothers of children with autism spectrum disorder." American Journal on Mental Retardation 112.6 (2007): 450-461.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Prevalence of autism spectrum disorders-autism and developmental disabilities monitoring network, 14 sites, United States, 2008." Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 61.3 (2012): 2-24.
Cidav, Z., et al. "Implications of childhood autism for parental employment and earnings." Pediatrics 129.4 (2012): 617-623.
Gardener, H., et al. "Prenatal risk factors for autism: comprehensive meta-analysis." British Journal of Psychiatry 195.1 (2009): 7-14.
Gerber, J. S. and P. A. Offit. "Vaccines and autism: a tale of shifting hypotheses." Clinical Infectious Diseases 48.4 (2009): 456-461.
Gurney, J. G., et al. "Parental report of health conditions and health care use among children with and without autism. National Survey of Children's Health." Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine 2160.8 (2006): 825-830.
Lobato, D. J. and B. T. Kao. "Integrated sibling-parent group intervention to improve sibling knowledge and adjustment to chronic illness and disability." Journal of Pediatric Psychology 27.8 (2002): 711-716.
Mazumdar, S., et al. "The spatial structure of autism in California, 1993-2001." Health Place 16.3 (2010): 539-546.
Nickels, K. C., et al. "Stimulant medication treatment of target behaviors in children with autism: a population-based study." Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics 29.2 (2008): 75-81.
Mulvihill, B., et al. "Prevalence of autism spectrum disorders - Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring Network, United States, 2006." Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. Suveillance Summaries 58.10 (2009): 1-20. December; 58(SS10): 1-20.
Robins, D. L. and T. M. Dumont-Mathieu. "Early screening for autism spectrum disorders: update on the modified checklist for autism in toddlers and other measures." Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics 27.2 Suppl (2006): 111-119.