Patient Comments: Atrial Fibrillation - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your atrial fibrillation?

Comment from: Stretch, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

With atrial fibrillation I had transient ischemic attack (TIA) with global amnesia. Fortunately my husband was with me, and could identify the behavior to my doctor.

Comment from: joby, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 02

I am a 25 year old male. I've had atrial fibrillation twice. Once 4 years ago after electrocuting myself doing some home wiring and once last month after a night out at the bar. Both times the symptoms were the same. A feeling of almost like your stomach churning only higher in your chest along with numbness and tingling of my extremities and ears. This past time it took 5 cardioversions for my heart to go back in rhythm, during two of which I was conscious. I do not wish this condition on anyone, it is pretty scary.

Comment from: Russell, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 28

With my atrial fibrillation, I experience a rapid heartbeat, mostly in the mornings, along with some cheat pain. I can feel something like indigestion during this time. All tests showed no artery problems. However, my doctor wants to start me on Coumadin. I am afraid of it, and I am not sure I will let him start it.

Comment from: cayoude, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 17

My husband went in for a knee replacement back in July. Two days later I was notified that he went into atrial fibrillation. I do not know what caused this as he had all the physicals he needed before hand. Needless to say a two day hospital stay turned into a two week stay with four days in intensive care. He has had two hip replacements with no problem. He is 61 years old.

Comment from: Mommato4, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

A "fluttering" in my chest that I had for years became more and more frequent. Once in a while to most days, to everyday, to most of the day. Then I'd feel pain with the fluttering. Around the same time the frequency increased, I also had a feeling of something heavy on my chest or something tightening around my heart/chest. I tire extremely easily. Felt out of breath, even though I gulped air. 35 year old female, otherwise healthy, active, normal weight, blood pressure, and blood values (including cholesterol).

Comment from: Sandy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I had atrial fibrillation a couple of years ago. It was related to stress. I was working and looking after both my parents who were ill at the time. Also looking after my family. It was during a regular visit with my family doctor. I went directly to the hospital. I now have been taking Metoprolol, Coumadin, and Ramipril. Other than feeling tired sometimes I am doing fairly well. I am not seeing my heart specialist as my doctor has decided that I can see her instead. I feel that the doctors don't think that it is very important.

Comment from: jo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I am a 47-year-old female. I experienced sudden onset atrial fibrillation last Tuesday. My beats were 190 and my blood pressure was high. I was on blood pressure medications for four years. My heart went back into rhythm on its own after several IV of cardizem in the emergency room. I had an echo test and lung scan to check for clots. It came back all clear. I was discharged after two days on pradaxa, 150 mg, twice a day, and toprol, 50 mg once a day, and I have to check my pulse. I feel better, but I am frightened of it returning. It was a very scary event for me.

Comment from: nlb0818, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I am a 57-year-old female. My first bout was November of last year. I have atrial fibrillation and tachy brady. They tried to treat it with meds. It didn't work. I was in and out of atrial fibrillation constantly. I went for a cardiac ablation at the end of February. It also didn't work. I had a pacemaker put in three days after the ablation surgery. The good news is I don't have the brady symptoms (pauses in my heartbeat) anymore but the tachy side is no better. They said it takes up to three months to see results sometimes. I can only hope.

Atrial Fibrillation - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your atrial fibrillation?
Atrial Fibrillation - Complications Question: Describe the complications you've experienced with atrial fibrillation.
Atrial Fibrillation - Medications Question: What medications have you taken to treat atrial fibrillation?
Atrial Fibrillation - Procedures Question: Describe the procedures you've had to treat atrial fibrillation.