Patient Comments: Atrial Fibrillation - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your atrial fibrillation?

Comment from: jo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I am a 47-year-old female. I experienced sudden onset atrial fibrillation last Tuesday. My beats were 190 and my blood pressure was high. I was on blood pressure medications for four years. My heart went back into rhythm on its own after several IV of cardizem in the emergency room. I had an echo test and lung scan to check for clots. It came back all clear. I was discharged after two days on pradaxa, 150 mg, twice a day, and toprol, 50 mg once a day, and I have to check my pulse. I feel better, but I am frightened of it returning. It was a very scary event for me.

Comment from: nlb0818, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I am a 57-year-old female. My first bout was November of last year. I have atrial fibrillation and tachy brady. They tried to treat it with meds. It didn't work. I was in and out of atrial fibrillation constantly. I went for a cardiac ablation at the end of February. It also didn't work. I had a pacemaker put in three days after the ablation surgery. The good news is I don't have the brady symptoms (pauses in my heartbeat) anymore but the tachy side is no better. They said it takes up to three months to see results sometimes. I can only hope.

Comment from: Sandy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I had atrial fibrillation a couple of years ago. It was related to stress. I was working and looking after both my parents who were ill at the time. Also looking after my family. It was during a regular visit with my family doctor. I went directly to the hospital. I now have been taking Metoprolol, Coumadin, and Ramipril. Other than feeling tired sometimes I am doing fairly well. I am not seeing my heart specialist as my doctor has decided that I can see her instead. I feel that the doctors don't think that it is very important.

Comment from: debra706, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I have had A-Fib 4 times in the last month. I usually have a pounding heart beat, can feel it flutter like a butterfly in your chest. Very short of breath and a lot of pressure in the chest. Pulse got up to 196 and A- Fib lasted 5 to 8 hours. The last 2 times was hospitalized 3 times from June 26 to July 5th. At times they had to get my blood pressure up in order to treat A-Fib.

Comment from: jflogan5, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 26

I am a 49 year old male and had my first Afib episode in Sep 09. I went to 5 plus different doctors before I got it under control and I hope we have it stopped for good now. I haven't had an episode since Christmas Day. A whole month pain free. No one tested my thyroid until I went to the hospital the Endocrinologist took me off diltiazem (it didn't lower my blood pressure or help at all.) My heart rate increased to 88+ dead rest and 100+ normal resting. Tremors were bad all the time. Chest pain very painful during Afib and mild without. Turns out I had Graves Disease real bad. Endocrinologist put me on 25mg Atenolol. It slowed my heart and stopped the Afib as well as got rid of the tremors. It worked great for me. I just started replacement thyroid hormone and am hoping it works well and no more Afib. Get your thyroid checked by an Endocrinologist to rule it out and be safe. It's just another blood test. There are four or five different hormone blood levels that can be checked. Good luck!

Comment from: Cheif12, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 25

I was diagnosed with WPW 15 years ago and had an ablation procedure carried out 5 years later. Since that time I have had an irregular heart beat usually at night during my sleep. My symptoms are; an unusually beating of my heart on the left side of my chest, pounding pulse rate, sweating, and at times a loss of circulation in my left arm. No chest pain. Over the past year my BP has risen significantly (130-160 over 90-100).

Atrial Fibrillation - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your atrial fibrillation?
Atrial Fibrillation - Complications Question: Describe the complications you've experienced with atrial fibrillation.
Atrial Fibrillation - Medications Question: What medications have you taken to treat atrial fibrillation?
Atrial Fibrillation - Procedures Question: Describe the procedures you've had to treat atrial fibrillation.