Patient Comments: Atrial Fibrillation - Complications

Describe the complications you've experienced with atrial fibrillation.

Comment from: snish76, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I first experienced a full feeling in my stomach and found it hard to lay down flat to sleep because I could not breathe so I went to the emergency room and was told I had atrial fibrillation. I had been having this problem for about 2 to 3 weeks and since then I have been placed on medications to treat it. They put me on a beta-blocker that slowed my heart down too slow, making me feel dizzy and very fatigued. I stopped taking it but continued taking diltiazem 30 mgs 4 times a day but I only take it once with my other medication, that includes furosemide 40 mg, 2 times a day, and spironolactone 25 mg 1 time daily. My stomach does seem to be upset most of the time so I take omeprazole 20 mgs daily. I notice a shortness of breath when I try to do anything physical and have been off work for about 11 months now. I am disabled, gaining weight. I have supraventricular tachycardia which causes the muscles in the upper part of the heart to flutter and not pump blood like it should. I have scheduled a doctor appointment to be referred to a cardiologist who specializes in ablation.

Comment from: Jim, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I first had atrial fibrillation in November 2007. The doctor told me it was caused by a leaky mitral valve. In October 2008 I had surgery to repair the valve but the atrial fibrillation persisted. I have am on Metoprolol, Flecinide, Asprin, Fish oil and recently on Rythomol which made me very dizzy. I have had 2 ablations which helped for a while but the atrial fibrillation returns every few months.

Comment from: BETTYJJ, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I was just diagnosed with an A-fib after two strokes, one month apart. So far, I'm on Coumadin and flecainide, blood pressure pills, and cholesterol pills. I have never felt any symptoms of A-fib. As far as I know, there is no other heart disease or blocked arteries. I wonder what's in store for me.

Comment from: Betsy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

About seven months ago, I experienced my first, sudden-onset of A-Fib. My heart did not seem to know how to beat, with long pauses and then rapid heart rates. At one point in my first experience, I felt my heart had stopped. I jumped out of my chair and looked in the mirror and I appeared to be turning gray in color. I have been having A-Fib every 5 to 7 days, with the duration of experience lasting 4 to 12 hours. I've had all the tests, and my heart appears normal, except for the time I wore the heart monitor for a week and then it showed up. My cardiologist has me on Metoprolol 50 mg. Occasionally, my blood pressure drops with this dosage. He said to take half a pill when this happens. I take 81 mg. of aspirin twice daily, but he wants me on Coumadin. I never know when these episodes will start up or end.

Atrial Fibrillation - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your atrial fibrillation?
Atrial Fibrillation - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your atrial fibrillation?
Atrial Fibrillation - Medications Question: What medications have you taken to treat atrial fibrillation?
Atrial Fibrillation - Procedures Question: Describe the procedures you've had to treat atrial fibrillation.