Patient Comments: Atrial Fibrillation - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your atrial fibrillation?

Comment from: Koko, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I take 4 mg of Warfarin (coumadin) a day. I also take 300 mg of Diltiazem CD a day for my atrial fibrillation.

Published: June 19

I have always taken Inderal but when they changed my meds to Tenormin it made me feel horrible and it made my heart beat faster, so they put me back on Inderal, and raised the dose so now I live a normal life I take 40mg 3x a day, but it works.

Published: May 23

Beta blockers, atenolol (Tenormin) plus solalol (Betapace) worked well, but made me sick as a dog, so now just the atenolol and it works ok, but get too much arthritis complaints. Arthritis seemed to be well controlled when off both of them, but then the atrial fibrillation comes back and my blood pressure goes up, so I go back to atenelol. I have ecstasies on the coronaries as etiology, though vessels are otherwise uninvolved. I am planning to ask my doctor if any other beta-blockers might be tried. The muscle and arthritis complaints are some ways worse than the heart problems.

Comment from: u4linda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I have had 3 episodes of AF in 5 months. If I feel an episode coming on, I take a quarter tablet (metoprolol) and sit quietly for half an hour. A doctor in emergency told me to do this. Please check with your doctor first.

Comment from: Dimrilldell, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

I was taking Amiodarone, together with Digoxin and low dose aspirin, for about 3 years to control occasional episodes of atrial fibrillation. The episodes were incapacitating. Amiodarone side effects became so severe that my doctor just now prescribed Veramil ER instead. I am wondering if it will lower my normal blood pressure of 110/60 too much. I need to ask the doctor if I should continue taking digoxin. I am also wondering if Betapace/Sotalol would be more appropriate than Verapamil.

Comment from: All Heart, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My husband has been diagnosed with AF. He has taken a boat load full of medications. Digoxin, Diltiazem, Coumadin and Micardis 80mg most of which he has been unable to continue for some reason or another. He has been in the hospital 3 times in 2 years because of the AF. His doctors have switched him so often to different medications he just would rather quit taking anything. We are trying to find a new doctor that might help.

Comment from: buguy5940, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I had ablation performed June and have not had an atrial fibrillation incident since. My only medication is mild diuretic for blood pressure reduction. I am much more active now. They did the "grill mark" method because of the number of sites where fibrillation was found. I have had no complications. I was 59 at the time of the procedure.

Published: July 28

I am taking Coumadin 5mg per day. For about 3 years. My hands look bruised the tops of them are blue all the time. I would like to switch to taking Stem enhance & Stem flow. Each have anticoagulant properties.

Atrial Fibrillation - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your atrial fibrillation?
Atrial Fibrillation - Complications Question: Describe the complications you've experienced with atrial fibrillation.
Atrial Fibrillation - Medications Question: What medications have you taken to treat atrial fibrillation?
Atrial Fibrillation - Procedures Question: Describe the procedures you've had to treat atrial fibrillation.