Patient Comments: Atrial Fibrillation - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your atrial fibrillation?

Comment from: Betty Boop, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I recently had Atrial Fibrillation and ended up in the hospital. Mine was caused by hyperthyroidism. My thyroid is normal again, and the shortness of breath is gone. My blood pressure is normal now, and I have not been in A Fib since. I feel like a new person, however my doctor is insisting that I stay on 2 blood thinners a day and two medications for heart rhythm, but I don't understand why, since mine was caused by my thyroid!!??

Comment from: tired mom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I've been dealing with atrial fibrillation for around four years. I had a near fainting incident last year and took many different tests. Because my atrial fibrillation is so unpredictable, it's never caught on any of the tests. So now I have a loop recorder implanted in my chest in hopes of seeing a pattern, or at least if it's getting worst.

Comment from: Jim, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 24

I have been recently diagnosed with atrial fibrillation. I have had bouts with it before on two separate occasions within the last 10 years. Anyhow, I had to have a stent put in; my one artery was 100% blocked. I feel pretty good except on occasion my heart rate will speed up for no apparent reason. When this happens, I feel a little light-headed and sick to my stomach. It has no certain pattern. It can go on and off all day or not happen at all for three to four days. I am currently on Plavix, Lopressor, Zocor, and aspirin and temporarily on prednisone. I don't know whether these symptoms are coming from the medicines or from my heart. My doctor says my heart is in great shape. I wore a holster for the weekend, and it showed an increase in heart rate, a few extra beats, but no signs of true atrial fibrillation.

Comment from: 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 24

My atrial fibrillation medication is Betapace. When I was taking 80 mg of this medication twice a day, my heart rate was too slow, around 45 beats per minute. They did a cardio version and changed my medication to 40 mg, twice a day. At first, the heart rate was fine, around 60 beats per minute. After three months, it started to increase to 70 beats per minute, and now it is around 85 beats per minute. I asked if they could split the dosage to 60 mg, twice a day. They said that that dosage was not available. Now they are considering ablation.

Comment from: Jo, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 14

My dad was currently diagnosed w/ atrial fib a month ago. They did several tests to confirm it. They did echo, cardiac stress test, dobutamine stress test, x-ray, and EKG. My dad is currently taking Coumadin/Warfarin, Digoxin, Cozaar, and Metoprolol. With Coumadin/Warfarin, the pharmacist or your doctor must play around w/ the dosage. It's a very tricky medicine. It requires that you have no more than a level 2-3 of Coumadin in your body. If you have more than level 3, like my dad did, you will have constant stomach cramps and diarrhea that lasted more than 3 days and no diarrhea medicine can stop it. If you are on Coumadin, be ready to take blood test every week for the first month until they find out the perfect intake dosage of warfarin for your body. Afterward, it became easier. Just be patient with your doctor/pharmacist when it comes to finding the right dosage for your body. Now, the doc is thinking of doing cardioversion on his heart and increasing the # of time he has to take cozaar. The doc felt that by increasing the # of cozaar intake, it will help ease my dad's heart muscle from having to work so hard and at the same controlling his high blood pressure. I checked w/ 2 of my relatives who happenned to be a doctor and an RN and they confirmed it that the procedures are necessary. If you are not sure of the procedures or the medicines or even your symptoms, go for a 2nd or even 3rd opinion. Go to the internet and do your own research. But most importantly, find that right doctor for you.

Comment from: JOE, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 20

I have been fighting atrial fibrillation for eight years. I'm on Coumadin. It has been a losing battle for me, and the last few years have been especially disappointing. It started when I was 38 years old. I work in a tire manufacturing plant, and some days it's all I can do to just show up. However, I don't give up. You have to keep going and not let it get you depressed. I don't know what I plan to do next. I've just about decided to live with atrial fibrillation the best that I can.

Atrial Fibrillation - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your atrial fibrillation?
Atrial Fibrillation - Complications Question: Describe the complications you've experienced with atrial fibrillation.
Atrial Fibrillation - Medications Question: What medications have you taken to treat atrial fibrillation?
Atrial Fibrillation - Procedures Question: Describe the procedures you've had to treat atrial fibrillation.