Table of Contents
- Atrial fibrillation (AFib) facts
- What is the normal function of the heart?
- What is the electrical function of the heart?
- What causes atrial fibrillation?
- Heart rate during AFib
- What are the symptoms of atrial fibrillation (AFib)?
- What are the risk factors for developing atrial fibrillation (AFib)?
- How is atrial fibrillation (AFib) diagnosed?
- Heart monitors and other tests
- What is the treatment for atrial fibrillation (AFib)?
- Slowing the heart rate with medications
- Anticoagulation drugs to prevent blood clots and strokes
- Who are, and who are not candidates for warfarin?
- Newer medications to prevent stroke in AFib
- Cardioversion with medications
- Other methods of converting AFib to a normal rhythm
- Risks and candidates for cardioversion
- Procedures for treating and preventing atrial fibrillation (AFib)
- Other procedures for treating and preventing atrial fibrillation
- What are the complications of atrial fibrillation (AFib)?
- What is pulmonary vein isolation?
- Who are candidates for PVI, and what are the risks?
Quick GuideAtrial Fibrillation: Heart Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment for AFib
What are the symptoms of atrial fibrillation (AFib)?
Many patients with atrial fibrillation have no symptoms and are unaware of the abnormal heart rhythm. The most common symptom of AFib is palpitations, an uncomfortable awareness of the rapid and irregular heartbeat. Other symptoms of AFib are caused by the diminished delivery of blood to the body. These symptoms include:
- shortness of breath, and
- angina (chest pain due to reduced blood flow to the heart muscles). Continue Reading
UpToDate. Patient information: Atrial fibrillation (Beyond the Basics).
Wann, Samuel L., et al. "2011 ACCF/AHA/HRS focused update on the management of patients with atrial fibrillation (Updating the 2006 Guideline): a report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines." Journal of the American College of Cardiology 57.2 (2011): 223-242.
7.Blausen.com staff. "Blausen gallery 2014". Wikiversity Journal of Medicine. DOI:10.15347/wjm/2014.010. ISSN 20018762.
12.Alex CM4000" by Misscurry - Template:Entwicklung
19.Getyy Images / iStock
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Heart Health Newsletter