Atrial Fibrillation (AFib)
Table of Contents
- Atrial fibrillation (AFib) facts
- What is the normal function of the heart?
- What is the electrical function of the heart?
- What causes atrial fibrillation?
- Heart rate during AFib
- What are the symptoms of atrial fibrillation (AFib)?
- What are the risk factors for developing atrial fibrillation (AFib)?
- How is atrial fibrillation (AFib) diagnosed?
- Heart monitors and other tests
- What is the treatment for atrial fibrillation (AFib)?
- Slowing the heart rate with medications
- Anticoagulation drugs to prevent blood clots and strokes
- Who are, and who are not candidates for warfarin?
- Newer medications to prevent stroke in AFib
- Cardioversion with medications
- Other methods of converting AFib to a normal rhythm
- Risks and candidates for cardioversion
- Procedures for treating and preventing atrial fibrillation (AFib)
- Other procedures for treating and preventing atrial fibrillation
- What are the complications of atrial fibrillation (AFib)?
- What is pulmonary vein isolation?
- Who are candidates for PVI, and what are the risks?
What is the treatment for atrial fibrillation (AFib)?
The treatment of atrial fibrillation is multi-faceted and involves:
- reversing the factors that cause atrial fibrillation;
- slowing the heart rate with medications;
- preventing strokes;
- converting atrial fibrillation to a normal heart rhythm with medications or electrical shock;
- preventing the recurrence of atrial fibrillation with medications; and
- using procedures (for example, pacemakers, defibrillators, surgery) to prevent episodes of AFib.
Reversing the risk factors (drugs or other diseases or conditions) that cause AFib
- stopping the use of stimulant drugs and excessive alcohol intake;
- controlling high blood pressure;
- correcting hyperthyroidism (too much thyroid hormone) and low blood oxygen levels; and
- controlling heart failure and treating the diseases of the heart and the lungs that can cause atrial fibrillation. Continue Reading
10/22Reviewed on 5/27/2015