Patient Comments: Atopic Dermatitis - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your atopic dermatitis?

Comment from: Dutchcares, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 16

After years of suffering I found that simply getting my yeast under control with garlic and some other over the counter items worked. A topical is needed to help keep the skin soft also. Keep in mind that the lymphatic system uses the skin pores as an exit point for ridding the body of toxins so you may want to look into a detoxification program to get your system in better shape to help control your eczema.

Comment from: nativewoman, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

My dermatitis started out as what looked to be ringworm on my shin (so I treated it as such) and my skin just seemed to freak out! I had the itching (like crazy) and clear oozing after showers, which crusted yellow, then formed hard cratered circles (after peeling)that turned to scars. Now I'm left with scars on my shin, thighs, arms, and lower back. The doctors thought it was MRSA at when they looked at it, then after a punch biopsy turned out to be dermatitis. I have never been allergic or sensitive to anything, but I did move to a new area. When I was put on prednisone it helped a lot. But now the only thing I treat it with is steroid creams. It seems to only been a temporary fix though, I am feeling and seeing the rashes pop up again.

Comment from: Lucine, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

When the itching starts, I clean the area with alcohol, then apply extra virgin olive oil. It has really helped me.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I've had atopic dermatitis for several years now. It started out on a small part of my scalp and spread. It got to the point where just the water from a shower made it burn. The best thing that I've tried to treat the scalp patches was shampoo and conditioner with tea tree oil in it. It reduced the itching and patches significantly and made my hair much healthier too. It's the only kind of shampoo that has worked for me.

Comment from: Simpson oil cure?, Male (Patient) Published: December 24

I have been suffering from atopic dermatitus for about 16 years and have used cortisone cream, which has helped, but I've heard isn't good to use long term. It also needs to be applied at least twice daily. Recently I tried a topical derivative of "Simpson Oil" a cannabis infused oil, and it has worked better than anything I've tried so far, lasts longer, and I have hope I will be cured, based on the results.

Comment from: Lisa, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 20

My daughter has been sick since she was 6 months old. She is now 5. We've seen many dermatologists, even changed our living environment, and our diet--but nothing has changed with her condition. Her skin gets dry and itchy, becomes hard and gray, and even peels. It develops blisters on her joints, smells and she gets ear infections. I worry about my child's well-being and am concerned that she might end up with hearing problems. She is in kindergarten but the teachers say she can't do anything because she scratches all the time. Please help.

Comment from: LezleeK, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I have had this all my life, or as early as I can remember. and I'm now 42 years old. My flare ups are bad. I have been using a corti-steroid ointment that works really well (perscription), I have learned that I can't use the cream on my face as I suppose I need the added benefit of the petroleum to keep moisture in my skin. I mainly use this on my face as I have found that Cetaphil Cream works well for the rext of the body. I am still searching for a great over-the-counter for my face, will next try Aveno and Neosporin for Excema. For me, the change in the weather (warm to cold and cold to warm) and stress are my main triggers. I have seen some success using a daily dose of Benedryl or another allergy medicine as well as Singulair, Albuterol and Advair. Soaking in an Oatmeal bath is also helpful.

Atopic Dermatitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with atopic dermatitis.