Patient Comments: Atopic Dermatitis - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your atopic dermatitis?

Comment from: Lee-Anne, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I have had eczema for about 7 years now. Lenovate has helped my atopic dermatitis over the years but not anymore. This past few weeks I've tried every kind of cream, it cooled my skin for a few hours and then I ended up scratching later on. Somebody told me about coconut oil. This is only the 3rd day of use and I haven't scratched. I'm amazed at it. I apply in the morning after bath and also evening after bath, and I'm seeing instant results. It is all going away. You'll never go wrong. I've been suffering so, I wouldn't want anybody else to suffer any further, so please try it.

Comment from: Brenda, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 17

When I brought my son home from the hospital after he was born, he immediately developed a rash on his face and body. Our physician prescribed a steroid cream, which has long term side effects like thinning the skin. My mother reminded me that our family is sensitive to detergents, soaps, etc. I re-laundered everything with a detergent that I am able to use and voila, his eczema disappeared! Moral of the story: don't 'treat' the symptoms, prevent the problem (and remember, physicians are trained to treat more than prevent). Plea to manufacturers: don't change the formulation of your products; those of us with sensitive skin rely on consistency (and it takes months to years to find a suitable replacement)!

Comment from: Ruthann, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I have recently been diagnosed with a form of eczema (related to ASA triad) where although I do not have a rash, I scratched until I bled. I have been using Neutrogena coal tar shampoo, Grandpa's Pine Tar cleanser and Vanicream, as well as fragrance free laundry products, and the improvement has been incredible.

Comment from: VFA, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I have had atopic dermatitis since I was 6 months old. I am now 30 and still suffer from skin rashes. Until I was 17, the key areas were the joints of arms and legs and a bit on the face. When I was 17 years old I discovered that my triggers were dust and the sun. Even slight exposure to either caused a reaction. A five minute exposure in the sun led to severe burns. If I am indoors at work or at home, my skin is 100 % ok. My 2.5 year old daughter has also developed atopic dermatitis. Her triggers seem different. We recently learnt about a place called NAET (Nambudripad's allergy elimination techniques) which is helping us to identify the allergens and eliminate them one by one. My daughter is responding very positively to this treatment. What also works is bathing with Cetaphil cleansing lotion, followed by 1 spoon of Olemessa oil in the bath.

Comment from: kanu1210, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 02

I"m 20 years old right now. Signs of atopic dermatitis started showing when I was around 10 to 12, initially the problem began with rash on my neck, elbow joint region, and knee joint region. Then it slowly started showing off on my face, I used to have kind of blisters on my face due to excessive itching at night. And by the time I was 16 to 17, the disease triggered even more. Inflammation of skin, blisters, wounds and all that. Now itching has reduced since I started consulting a new dermatologist, in my cheeks, eye region and neck which is the main region where I still get severe rash or wounds or inflammation signs. My case is quite a severe case. At the age of 20, problems related to rash, night itching, and inflammation seem to keep increasing but overall body itching has reduced. And yes, I'd like to tell you all that red wine causes severe rash on the neck or face, so avoid it. This is a constant battle that I"m fighting every day, I feel like giving up all the time, but can"t do that. We have to be a fighter and fight it till the end.

Comment from: wwlljj, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 21

One of the reasons I ordered Solafeet was that I have atopic dermatitis on the backs of my hands and the tops of my feet. Regular use of this device immediately gets rid of it if it flares up and it also helps to control flare-ups.

Atopic Dermatitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with atopic dermatitis.