Patient Comments: Atopic Dermatitis - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your atopic dermatitis?

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: October 25

I got stung by the same scorpion on the same hand. Oh and I'm 8. The way it happened the first sting, when I flipped my pillow I was singing and looked over somewhere else for a minute. I touched my other pillow and it stung me. My dad and I had no idea what happened but after at least 18 minutes the pain went away. The next one was when I was talking to my friend on my laptop. I felt something on my shoulder. I looked over and I saw it. I didn't realize it was a scorpion because it scared me. I flung it off my shoulder and it landed in my corner. But it stung me on my ring finger. My friend kept saying 'Oh my goodness, are you okay?' I kept saying I'm fine and I ran to my mom. She found the scorpion. It was black and tan. She killed it, and it had a pretty long tail. She put mustard on it and I was fine after a while. The scorpion stings don't hurt too much. But a few minutes ago I hallucinated. It wasn't too bad, it was just of a black widow on my floor. I told my dad and we didn't find it anywhere! So now my head hurts and I can't describe the pain.

Comment from: Sadie, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 08

I had surgery in 2001 to remove a lymphoma and have been in pain whenever I sit down ever since because of adhesions and nerve damage. Medications help a little, I have had various scans and nerve blocks without any effects. All I want now is the name of a surgeon who will go in there and free up whichever adhesions are causing the pain!

Comment from: Lee-Anne, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I have had eczema for about 7 years now. Lenovate has helped my atopic dermatitis over the years but not anymore. This past few weeks I've tried every kind of cream, it cooled my skin for a few hours and then I ended up scratching later on. Somebody told me about coconut oil. This is only the 3rd day of use and I haven't scratched. I'm amazed at it. I apply in the morning after bath and also evening after bath, and I'm seeing instant results. It is all going away. You'll never go wrong. I've been suffering so, I wouldn't want anybody else to suffer any further, so please try it.

Comment from: Brenda, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 17

When I brought my son home from the hospital after he was born, he immediately developed a rash on his face and body. Our physician prescribed a steroid cream, which has long term side effects like thinning the skin. My mother reminded me that our family is sensitive to detergents, soaps, etc. I re-laundered everything with a detergent that I am able to use and voila, his eczema disappeared! Moral of the story: don't 'treat' the symptoms, prevent the problem (and remember, physicians are trained to treat more than prevent). Plea to manufacturers: don't change the formulation of your products; those of us with sensitive skin rely on consistency (and it takes months to years to find a suitable replacement)!

Comment from: Ruthann, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I have recently been diagnosed with a form of eczema (related to ASA triad) where although I do not have a rash, I scratched until I bled. I have been using Neutrogena coal tar shampoo, Grandpa's Pine Tar cleanser and Vanicream, as well as fragrance free laundry products, and the improvement has been incredible.

Comment from: VFA, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I have had atopic dermatitis since I was 6 months old. I am now 30 and still suffer from skin rashes. Until I was 17, the key areas were the joints of arms and legs and a bit on the face. When I was 17 years old I discovered that my triggers were dust and the sun. Even slight exposure to either caused a reaction. A five minute exposure in the sun led to severe burns. If I am indoors at work or at home, my skin is 100 % ok. My 2.5 year old daughter has also developed atopic dermatitis. Her triggers seem different. We recently learnt about a place called NAET (Nambudripad's allergy elimination techniques) which is helping us to identify the allergens and eliminate them one by one. My daughter is responding very positively to this treatment. What also works is bathing with Cetaphil cleansing lotion, followed by 1 spoon of Olemessa oil in the bath.

Atopic Dermatitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with atopic dermatitis.