Patient Comments: Atopic Dermatitis - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your atopic dermatitis?

Comment from: kanu1210, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 02

I"m 20 years old right now. Signs of atopic dermatitis started showing when I was around 10 to 12, initially the problem began with rash on my neck, elbow joint region, and knee joint region. Then it slowly started showing off on my face, I used to have kind of blisters on my face due to excessive itching at night. And by the time I was 16 to 17, the disease triggered even more. Inflammation of skin, blisters, wounds and all that. Now itching has reduced since I started consulting a new dermatologist, in my cheeks, eye region and neck which is the main region where I still get severe rash or wounds or inflammation signs. My case is quite a severe case. At the age of 20, problems related to rash, night itching, and inflammation seem to keep increasing but overall body itching has reduced. And yes, I'd like to tell you all that red wine causes severe rash on the neck or face, so avoid it. This is a constant battle that I"m fighting every day, I feel like giving up all the time, but can"t do that. We have to be a fighter and fight it till the end.

Comment from: wwlljj, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 21

One of the reasons I ordered Solafeet was that I have atopic dermatitis on the backs of my hands and the tops of my feet. Regular use of this device immediately gets rid of it if it flares up and it also helps to control flare-ups.

Comment from: Dutchcares, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 16

After years of suffering I found that simply getting my yeast under control with garlic and some other over the counter items worked. A topical is needed to help keep the skin soft also. Keep in mind that the lymphatic system uses the skin pores as an exit point for ridding the body of toxins so you may want to look into a detoxification program to get your system in better shape to help control your eczema.

Comment from: nativewoman, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

My dermatitis started out as what looked to be ringworm on my shin (so I treated it as such) and my skin just seemed to freak out! I had the itching (like crazy) and clear oozing after showers, which crusted yellow, then formed hard cratered circles (after peeling)that turned to scars. Now I'm left with scars on my shin, thighs, arms, and lower back. The doctors thought it was MRSA at when they looked at it, then after a punch biopsy turned out to be dermatitis. I have never been allergic or sensitive to anything, but I did move to a new area. When I was put on prednisone it helped a lot. But now the only thing I treat it with is steroid creams. It seems to only been a temporary fix though, I am feeling and seeing the rashes pop up again.

Comment from: Lucine, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

When the itching starts, I clean the area with alcohol, then apply extra virgin olive oil. It has really helped me.

Comment from: Lisa, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 20

My daughter has been sick since she was 6 months old. She is now 5. We've seen many dermatologists, even changed our living environment, and our diet--but nothing has changed with her condition. Her skin gets dry and itchy, becomes hard and gray, and even peels. It develops blisters on her joints, smells and she gets ear infections. I worry about my child's well-being and am concerned that she might end up with hearing problems. She is in kindergarten but the teachers say she can't do anything because she scratches all the time. Please help.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I've had atopic dermatitis for several years now. It started out on a small part of my scalp and spread. It got to the point where just the water from a shower made it burn. The best thing that I've tried to treat the scalp patches was shampoo and conditioner with tea tree oil in it. It reduced the itching and patches significantly and made my hair much healthier too. It's the only kind of shampoo that has worked for me.

Atopic Dermatitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with atopic dermatitis.