Patient Comments: Atopic Dermatitis - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your atopic dermatitis?

Comment from: Lucine, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

When the itching starts, I clean the area with alcohol, then apply extra virgin olive oil. It has really helped me.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I've had atopic dermatitis for several years now. It started out on a small part of my scalp and spread. It got to the point where just the water from a shower made it burn. The best thing that I've tried to treat the scalp patches was shampoo and conditioner with tea tree oil in it. It reduced the itching and patches significantly and made my hair much healthier too. It's the only kind of shampoo that has worked for me.

Comment from: Simpson oil cure?, Male (Patient) Published: December 24

I have been suffering from atopic dermatitus for about 16 years and have used cortisone cream, which has helped, but I've heard isn't good to use long term. It also needs to be applied at least twice daily. Recently I tried a topical derivative of "Simpson Oil" a cannabis infused oil, and it has worked better than anything I've tried so far, lasts longer, and I have hope I will be cured, based on the results.

Comment from: LezleeK, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I have had this all my life, or as early as I can remember. and I'm now 42 years old. My flare ups are bad. I have been using a corti-steroid ointment that works really well (perscription), I have learned that I can't use the cream on my face as I suppose I need the added benefit of the petroleum to keep moisture in my skin. I mainly use this on my face as I have found that Cetaphil Cream works well for the rext of the body. I am still searching for a great over-the-counter for my face, will next try Aveno and Neosporin for Excema. For me, the change in the weather (warm to cold and cold to warm) and stress are my main triggers. I have seen some success using a daily dose of Benedryl or another allergy medicine as well as Singulair, Albuterol and Advair. Soaking in an Oatmeal bath is also helpful.

Comment from: agnes0420, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 23

For your eczema or dermatitis, try Aveeno Eczema Therapy Moisturizing Cream available in Walgreens, CVS and other popular pharmacy chains. My best friend swears by it! It gave her immediate relief as early as the first application. It also has perfect reviews online from many many users. Everyone gushes about this cream as if it were a miracle drug. And it is cheap too. Also available for infants and children is Aveeno Baby Eczema Therapy Cream.

Comment from: mlboucher18, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I have had atopic dermatitis my whole life. After finally being diagnosed and having an allergy test done, I was able to keep the flare-ups to a minimum and see much improvement in my skin for the last few years. However, lately it has gotten so bad again that my skin itches horribly all day and night, and it flakes off. I have scabs from scratching.

Comment from: Lisa, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 20

My daughter has been sick since she was 6 months old. She is now 5. We've seen many dermatologists, even changed our living environment, and our diet--but nothing has changed with her condition. Her skin gets dry and itchy, becomes hard and gray, and even peels. It develops blisters on her joints, smells and she gets ear infections. I worry about my child's well-being and am concerned that she might end up with hearing problems. She is in kindergarten but the teachers say she can't do anything because she scratches all the time. Please help.

Comment from: marion, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 15

Hello my son is 14 and he has been having problems with atopic dermatitis since he was around 3 months old. More recently he has been having a reaction in his genital area. We have seen a skin specialist and found out things that he is allergic too. He was given a treatment plan but there seems to be just no end to the pain and suffering that he goes through. If anyone has any suggestions it would be much appreciated or if anyone else out there has suffered in the same way we would appreciate any advise. Thank you.

Atopic Dermatitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with atopic dermatitis.