Patient Comments: Atopic Dermatitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with atopic dermatitis.

Comment from: hhaiss, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I am a 36 year old female who has suffered with Atopic Dermatitis for over 18 years. When my skin is bad, my life changes drastically. I stop going out because I'm afraid of strangers staring at my red irritated skin. Then come the steroids. The skin clears and I balloon 20-30 lbs. This is a tough disease to treat and keep under control. Just know you are not alone in suffering and hopefully someday we will have a cure.

Comment from: LilWoman22, 35-44 Female Published: October 27

I was diagnosed with atopic dermatitis about 10 years ago. I've noticed that it flares up sometimes right before I come on my period. I am 44 years old, and the itching is on the sides of my breast, under the breast, and it actually has left scars. I also get really bad itching on my sides and my inner thighs and neck. I use the Cortisone cream, and it worked really well in the beginning, but I've noticed that it's not as good as it was before. It seems to take more of it to get the itching under control and it may go away for a few weeks or months and then it flares up again, especially in the winter months. I've also noticed that I cannot use any type of perfume soaps or detergents. I can't even wear cheap jewelry.

Comment from: cheetah, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

My lesions are flaking, crusting, seeping, oozing, burning, and bleeding. It is on my entire body! Often the topic of conversation is, “My daughter experiences that,” or “Did you get burned?” The No. 1 question I get is, “What is that? Is it contagious?”

Comment from: melissa6272000, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 05

My daughter is 8 years old and has had atopic dermatitis for three or more years. For the past three years, we were told it was eczema. Today I was just told it was atopic dermatitis. It takes up her whole body. It's so painful and itchy for my daughter, and when she bathes, it's 10 times worse.

Comment from: sacarns, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I am 36 years old and have had atopic dermitis since I was 6 months old. None of my siblings, parents or children have this condition. The ultraviolet rays do help. My doctor has told me to try the tanning beds, as much as he tells others not to just because it does help the skin. My arms get the worst of it, and I work in a county office where I deal with the public a lot. Creams don't help, and I will not take steriods because they make you gain weight. I had to quit my other professional job as a hairdresser. Times do get tough, but hang in there. Try to just get a cotton wrap to cool your skin. I try to exercise to lose weight, but the sweat makes me itch more.

Comment from: Cele2001, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

My atopic dermatisis affects the back of my hands, my forearms, and the tops of my feet. I get an incredible itch that I cannot resist even knowing what it will lead to. The skin that I scratch becomes red and blistery and oozes. Then for a few days, the site is raw and “on fire” with burning. I can't touch it or cover it because it burns so badly. It eventually heals on its own. I have no allergies that I know of, but I have always had “sensitive” skin.

Comment from: fallen_raindrop, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

Hi. I believe I suffer from atopic dermatitis. I have been seen by a physician and am infected in the vagina. Herpes has been ruled out. I had an ultra sound and prescribed a corticosteroid cream. I am also a survivor of cervical cancer for 7 years. The cream works but returns a burning itch. I have been infected for about 2 months.

Comment from: pattiyan, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I have atopic dermatitis (APs). Once, an outburst lasted for four years and was excruciating. My face was swollen, red, sore, and peeling, more so my eyelids, My brows always itch; they were almost shut. The soles of my feet peeled off, and my toes were very itchy, red, shiny, and peeling. I have just suffered more than three months of very red, very hot, very itchy, and very sore hands with peeling. I couldn't sleep with it, and it was most depressing. It was like being burnt with red, hot pokers. I was told I am a borderline lupus case. The hydrocortisone makes my skin peel off more, and anti-histamines doesn't stop the itching.

Atopic Dermatitis - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your atopic dermatitis?