Patient Comments: Atopic Dermatitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with atopic dermatitis.

Comment from: Magda F, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 15

I have atopic dermatitis for 20 years. It appears on my hands. Last week I went to swim and after that I went to sauna for 20 mins. Next day I suffer because my hands were covered with blisters and they were itching that it made me irritated. Now I understand that my skin condition was caused by sudden temperature change and being overheated

Comment from: cheetah, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

My lesions are flaking, crusting, seeping, oozing, burning, and bleeding. It is on my entire body! Often the topic of conversation is, “My daughter experiences that,” or “Did you get burned?” The No. 1 question I get is, “What is that? Is it contagious?”

Comment from: Queen Bee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I have lived with atopic dermatitis (eczema) for as long as I can remember. My mother told me it started when I was around 1 year old. One of my sisters suffers from it as well as my grandmother. It seems to run in the family. I have a twin sister that does not suffer from it at all. My children do not have any signs of it either. Growing up, it was over my entire body (head, mouth, hands, legs, feet) and now it seems to be more localized on my hands. My hands become so bad that I cannot bend or wet them. I go without doing my housecleaning sometimes because there is pain involved. I wear gloves to bed every night to try and stop the ripping of my skin when I'm scratching. Sometimes the flare-ups last six months. I have even had blood poising because the infections became so severe. I tried everything my doctor prescribed as well as over-the-counter medications. I have learned to live with it because I have no choice. I did hear that ultraviolet lights can help. I am thinking about going to a nail salon where they use ultraviolet nail driers to test it out.

Comment from: Apples, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 19

Hello I'm a parent of a five and a half year old daughter who started kinder this year. My daughter has had Atopic Dermatitis since she was 8months old. This has been a long battle and a frustrating one. I say this only because adults and children who have not experienced this have no idea the struggle we go through. I have adults flat out ask my daughter what's wrong with your skin. Children do the same thing to her. The hardest part is the itching for her I use little hand towels and run them through cold water and set it on her flare-ups. My daughter has learned to cope with the dermatitis. It's hard as a mother watching your child suffer. I just do a lot of researching and try to stay up to date on new products and things. For children and adults who have this just be you and people will see through your skin condition. My daughter is very social and has many friends. I teach her that not every one is understanding and if they don't want to be your friend some one else will.

Comment from: itchy grandma, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I have had an itch for about 3 months starting on my inner thighs, buttocks, breasts and now all over my body. I am 69 years old. My doctor referred me to a dermatologist who diagnosed a drug reaction to Altace. I was then put on prednisone for a week and my blood pressure medication was changed to Norvasc. She said it would take a month before I would have relief. In the meantime my husband has also developed an itch so now I have been trying different laundry detergents, creams etc. to find the cause of this overall itch.

Comment from: hhaiss, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I am a 36 year old female who has suffered with Atopic Dermatitis for over 18 years. When my skin is bad, my life changes drastically. I stop going out because I'm afraid of strangers staring at my red irritated skin. Then come the steroids. The skin clears and I balloon 20-30 lbs. This is a tough disease to treat and keep under control. Just know you are not alone in suffering and hopefully someday we will have a cure.

Comment from: LilWoman22, 35-44 Female Published: October 27

I was diagnosed with atopic dermatitis about 10 years ago. I've noticed that it flares up sometimes right before I come on my period. I am 44 years old, and the itching is on the sides of my breast, under the breast, and it actually has left scars. I also get really bad itching on my sides and my inner thighs and neck. I use the Cortisone cream, and it worked really well in the beginning, but I've noticed that it's not as good as it was before. It seems to take more of it to get the itching under control and it may go away for a few weeks or months and then it flares up again, especially in the winter months. I've also noticed that I cannot use any type of perfume soaps or detergents. I can't even wear cheap jewelry.

Atopic Dermatitis - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your atopic dermatitis?