Patient Comments: Atopic Dermatitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with atopic dermatitis.

Comment from: Magda F, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 15

I have atopic dermatitis for 20 years. It appears on my hands. Last week I went to swim and after that I went to sauna for 20 mins. Next day I suffer because my hands were covered with blisters and they were itching that it made me irritated. Now I understand that my skin condition was caused by sudden temperature change and being overheated

Comment from: Jimmy, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 05

I am 33 years old and am experiencing my first atopic dermatitis flare-up. I work in a steel factory, which is an extremely dirty environment. Each night, at the end of my shift, I would enjoy a long, hot shower with a liquid soap that the company supplies. Generally, I apply skin moisturizer after the shower, but I ran out and did not bother buying more. I could feel my body progressively getting drier each night but ignored it. Finally, I broke out in an agonizing rash. It was so horrible. I had thoughts of cutting my skin off! I would run a scalding hot bath and slowly ease my way into it and tolerate it as long as I could and then dry off and apply excessively generous amounts of medicated Gold Bond afterward. This seemed to temporarily relieve the agony. Finally, I went to the doctor, and he put me on prednisone. I had to miss two days of work and will take much better care of my skin to try and avoid the excruciating agony that I experienced!

Comment from: leo1983, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I'm 25 years old and was just diagnosed with atopic dermatitis. The condition started when I was 21. It started out with itching, and when I would scratch, the skin cracked. Then some of my shoes didn't help. I would where knee-high boots and the heat and moisture would make the itching even worse. After that, I started developing really dry, rough, scaly skin patches, and sometime little bumps with clear fluid in them that would itch even more. My skin would clear up when the weather would get warmer, but once fall and winter temperatures were changing, the condition would start up again. Since I saw a doctor, I was given a steroid ointment to apply on the area. I use that along with little pedicures I give my self when I see a lot of dry, scaly skin building up. I stopped using the steroid ointment. So now I use Vaseline to moisturize my foot. I also try to keep my foot dry with breathable shoes, and I change my socks at least twice a day. That's helped a lot, and I don't scratch as much as I used to.

Comment from: Queen Bee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I have lived with atopic dermatitis (eczema) for as long as I can remember. My mother told me it started when I was around 1 year old. One of my sisters suffers from it as well as my grandmother. It seems to run in the family. I have a twin sister that does not suffer from it at all. My children do not have any signs of it either. Growing up, it was over my entire body (head, mouth, hands, legs, feet) and now it seems to be more localized on my hands. My hands become so bad that I cannot bend or wet them. I go without doing my housecleaning sometimes because there is pain involved. I wear gloves to bed every night to try and stop the ripping of my skin when I'm scratching. Sometimes the flare-ups last six months. I have even had blood poising because the infections became so severe. I tried everything my doctor prescribed as well as over-the-counter medications. I have learned to live with it because I have no choice. I did hear that ultraviolet lights can help. I am thinking about going to a nail salon where they use ultraviolet nail driers to test it out.

Comment from: Apples, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 19

Hello I'm a parent of a five and a half year old daughter who started kinder this year. My daughter has had Atopic Dermatitis since she was 8months old. This has been a long battle and a frustrating one. I say this only because adults and children who have not experienced this have no idea the struggle we go through. I have adults flat out ask my daughter what's wrong with your skin. Children do the same thing to her. The hardest part is the itching for her I use little hand towels and run them through cold water and set it on her flare-ups. My daughter has learned to cope with the dermatitis. It's hard as a mother watching your child suffer. I just do a lot of researching and try to stay up to date on new products and things. For children and adults who have this just be you and people will see through your skin condition. My daughter is very social and has many friends. I teach her that not every one is understanding and if they don't want to be your friend some one else will.

Comment from: itchy grandma, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I have had an itch for about 3 months starting on my inner thighs, buttocks, breasts and now all over my body. I am 69 years old. My doctor referred me to a dermatologist who diagnosed a drug reaction to Altace. I was then put on prednisone for a week and my blood pressure medication was changed to Norvasc. She said it would take a month before I would have relief. In the meantime my husband has also developed an itch so now I have been trying different laundry detergents, creams etc. to find the cause of this overall itch.

Atopic Dermatitis - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your atopic dermatitis?